E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop RFT Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, SMG, active steering

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='205457' date='Nov 30 2005, 08:24 PM
I'll bet anything the problem was exactly as described here:
Attachment 13076
Thank you for the tech document. I am visiting my dealer on Monday to report the rapid increase in noise in the last 3,000 miles (7,800 total).
This is an outstanding board. I was able to confidently buy an SMG, and have been very happy with it.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525i SE Touring Automatic - Titanium Grey II, Auburn-Dakota Leather, 17" Light Alloy Wheels Star-Spoke Styling 138, Anthracite Headlining, Maple Wood, Electric Front Seats, Front Seat Heating, Automatic Air Conditioning Advanced, Navigation System Professional, Bluetooth phone prep, Professional radio, Hi-Fi Loudspeaker system, Park Distance Control, Rear Side Airbags, Side Blinds

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='244611' date='Feb 23 2006, 05:49 AM
Bridgestones is that bad?? My car come with Bridgestones, I think they are okay, although I never experience other tires on e60 yet.

Bridgestones RFT are not bad - they are horrible

Flintstone Fred's tyres were superb compared to these things.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

I'm looking at getting Bridgestone RFT for my 530i with M184 wheels. I want to have the RFTs but should I ask for Goodyear, Dunlops, or ??? Does Pirelli make a RFT?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black and Tan (not a beer), sport package, premium sound, comfort seats, winter package, heads-up, Navigation, ski bag, split rear seats 1995 740iL Mojavie Brown (need I say more) Got a good price, For sale now.

Thanks for the input on this thread. I noticed last week when I was cleaninig my wheels that my front right tire was down to the cord on the tire, but it was on the outside and not the inside of the tire. Do you happen to know if this is a similar reported issue. I made the service appointment for 4/26/06 in Denver. I will certainly make sure the serevie director knows about this issue and hopefully I will recieve new tires and balancing for FREE. I have 9200 miles onthese tires. Also agree that RFT as a pain when it comes to ride.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Members

Whatever you do, don't let BMW replace the tires with the same dunlops....dunlop said they fixed the tire problems, but I'm on my second set and the same thing is happening, have them replace them with another brand, w/o the run flat technology....
Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

Yes! Me too!

I had about 9K on mine...took my car in for another issue and mentioned an increasing noise as an aside -- they took care of me like true professionals!

4 Free Tires!

Pretty Sweet -- and thanks to the board!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 - M5 - Alpine White - Portland Brown Full Merino - Madeira Walnut - Manual Trans - Enhanced Premium Sound - HD Radio - Sirius- iPod - Sun Shades - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access

I am glad you recieved a full set of free Dunlop flat tires, free Dunlop run-flop tires,

aawww you know what I mean....

A full new free set of run-flat Dunflop tires!

Mine ride fine, are still quiet at 10,000 but they feel like some of the LEAST STICKY tires I've ever used.

Today I ordered a set of OEM Style 167M wheels and will dress them with Michelin PS2's.
At that point I will put the spare and the jack back into the trunk!
Old 10-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by sholin55' post='350925' date='Oct 31 2006, 06:43 PM
Whatever you do, don't let BMW replace the tires with the same dunlops....dunlop said they fixed the tire problems, but I'm on my second set and the same thing is happening, have them replace them with another brand, w/o the run flat technology....
Obviously each of us have our own opinions -- in my opinion, take the new Dunlops -- they're not horrible tires and BMW keeps giving away new ones as they get noisy. In my case, I've had two free sets (not counting the tires that came with the car) and I expect to get a third set soon. My lease will be up in April and except for my snow tires, I haven't paid a penny for tires my entire lease. Also, during the last two-and-a-half years, my average tread depth has been much deeper than what it would have been if I was paying for the tires myself. BMW keeps replacing them when they get noisy even though there's plenty of tread left. If I were buying the tires myself, I'd make sure I got my money's worth and would wear them down much more...

Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I got my second set of Dunlops RFT on 124s for free for the same reason- noise and uneven wear. At 41K miles, I replaced them with non-runflats on 19" M166s and they're a lot better in sound and ride .
Old 10-31-2006, 10:43 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='351043' date='Nov 1 2006, 05:58 AM
I got my second set of Dunlops RFT on 124s for free for the same reason- noise and uneven wear. At 41K miles, I replaced them with non-runflats on 19" M166s and they're a lot better in sound and ride .
I've also made the change to M166s with non-RFT (Michalin PS2s) and after 4000+km am still over the moon with my choice. They're doing a real fine job in the wet autumn weather too. On Friday I'll swap to 18" winter wheels M135s, which BMW can only deliver with non-RFTS - in my case Dunlop SP Winter Sports.

I happended to be at my BMW dealer to have the car inspected by someone from the Service dept. and we drifted on to the topic of run flat tyres... the guy did not stop cursing!! I get the impression that these RFT tyres are also driving the poor guys in the Service / Maintenance departments at BMW mad too :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Dunlop RFT Replaced