E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dunlop RFT Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

If you have your choice, the best tires I've tried (on my last BMW 325ci, not my current 545i) were Michelin PS2's. I felt (again, this was on a 3 coup) that they improved my driving performance by 10-20% over the stock ContiSportContacts.

If you have your choice, the best tires I've tried (on my last BMW 325ci, not my current 545i) were Michelin PS2's. I felt (again, this was on a 3 coup) that they improved my driving performance by 10-20% over the stock ContiSportContacts.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='205457' date='Nov 30 2005, 08:24 PM
I'll bet anything the problem was exactly as described here:
Attachment 13076
Took my vehicle in for tire noise with approximately 9k miles. Came out with a new set of Dunlop runflats. Thanks to this board, I was aware of the Dunlop tire noise issue and subsequent recall.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

We'll be even more interested to know if they are any "different" than the old ones.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Kevin' post='244474' date='Feb 22 2006, 05:24 PM
Took my vehicle in for tire noise with approximately 9k miles. Came out with a new set of Dunlop runflats. Thanks to this board, I was aware of the Dunlop tire noise issue and subsequent recall.
Unfortunately, you'll be back looking for another set of replacements soon. I went through two sets of Dunlops (the original and the supposedly 'revised' version, which had the exact same problem). Now I have Bridgestone runflats, and they suck right out of the box - they're the harshest tires I've ever felt.

I'm considering replacing them myself with the non-RFT Michelin PS2s. I'll keep the Bridgestones and put 'em back on the car right before my lease is up.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Bridgestones is that bad?? My car come with Bridgestones, I think they are okay, although I never experience other tires on e60 yet.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

I FINALLY saw my 550i today, and lo and behold it came with Continentals instead of runflats???? and it is an Msport pkg equipped car, including the suspension etc. This package is not available in the US. Does anyone have any advice as to why all of a sudden the car came without runflats? and it also came with a little doughnut spare. Did I get ripped? The sales guy said that Msport 550's and M5's don't come with runflats, and showed me some BME tire and whell chart that also indicated this. Is this a new thing and what are my options???
Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='244622' date='Feb 23 2006, 08:00 AM
I FINALLY saw my 550i today, and lo and behold it came with Continentals instead of runflats???? and it is an Msport pkg equipped car, including the suspension etc. This package is not available in the US. Does anyone have any advice as to why all of a sudden the car came without runflats? and it also came with a little doughnut spare. Did I get ripped? The sales guy said that Msport 550's and M5's don't come with runflats, and showed me some BME tire and whell chart that also indicated this. Is this a new thing and what are my options???
Well you could just count yourself lucky - several of us on this forum have paid money to get rid of horrible factory-fitted runflat tyres, and Continentals are a premium brand.

The M5 definitely does not come with runflats, I'm not sure about the 550 M-sport. What size wheels do you have? Maybe they don't make runflats in your size.

If I were you, I'd just enjoy the car as it comes - perhaps buy a couple of cans of emergency tyre goo in case you get a flat tyre in a location where it's difficult or dangerous to change a wheel. But at the end of the day it's your choice - some people feel more comfortable knowing that runflats might save them from the consequences of a nasty high-speed blowout.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic, black leather, w/ sports pkg, cold weather pkg, Logic7, steptronic, navigation, satellite radio, electric rear shade, folding rear seat, Razr/Cingular phone

Just got the call from my dealer that they are replacing my runflats. My car has 11,900 miles. I bought it CPO with 7,600 miles. I can't honestly say if the tire noise got worse during that time, but thanks to reading this forum I thought I should at least ask the dealer to look at the tread wear while I had it in for service today.

From comments by others here, it sounds like the best thing to do is get away from runflats altogether. But as long as BMW keeps replacing the Dunlops if they are bad, then I will keep my money. Maybe this new set will last for a normal amount of milage and the next set will be mine to buy.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

That's the way I feel Cabrio -- I'll take free tires every 9000 miles or so if they're willing to give them to me. I don't have a problem with the tires when they're new and quiet. It would be great to get through my entire lease without buying any tires (other than the snow setup.)
Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='244622' date='Feb 23 2006, 10:00 AM
I FINALLY saw my 550i today, and lo and behold it came with Continentals instead of runflats???? and it is an Msport pkg equipped car, including the suspension etc. This package is not available in the US. Does anyone have any advice as to why all of a sudden the car came without runflats?
I suppose the BMW guys read this Forum after all

Quick Reply: Dunlop RFT Replaced