E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DSC Performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok it snowed here for the first measureable time yesterday. About 2 inches, just enough to make it really slick out. Bought my e60 last April so really haven't it in the snow until yesterday.

Too say the least, I was not very happy with the DSC performance. I drove a G35x previous to my E60 (2006 530xi). It was nearly impossible to put the G35 into a spin in snowy/icy conditions. Its stability control applied excellent distributed braking to the appropriate wheel which prevented the car from fishtailing.

In contrast my E60 went into a spin more than easily, I was shocked. I just turned the wheel during a slow turn, stepped on the gas a little...then bam! My rear was were my front used to be. My G35 would have never done than (nor my wifes XC90 for that matter!).

Anyone else have similar experience? Hmmmm I wonder if my DSC is broken? I did see the slip light turn on when the back started fishtailing, but it was almost like it didn't do anything.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

surely if you are on ice, and the wheels have no grip, whatever the brakes do to correct the 'spin' will have no effect.....

there has to be some availble grip for the system to work.

cheers

steve
Old 12-05-2006, 04:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by steve_gus' post='363807' date='Dec 5 2006, 08:13 AM
surely if you are on ice, and the wheels have no grip, whatever the brakes do to correct the 'spin' will have no effect.....

there has to be some availble grip for the system to work.

cheers

steve
It was not complete ice, but snow. My G35 would have not gone into a spin in the same situation, nor our XC90.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

Are you running summer only sport tires?
It makes a huge difference which tires you have on...
c

Originally Posted by mtonsi' post='363806' date='Dec 5 2006, 05:09 AM
Ok it snowed here for the first measureable time yesterday. About 2 inches, just enough to make it really slick out. Bought my e60 last April so really haven't it in the snow until yesterday.

Too say the least, I was not very happy with the DSC performance. I drove a G35x previous to my E60 (2006 530xi). It was nearly impossible to put the G35 into a spin in snowy/icy conditions. Its stability control applied excellent distributed braking to the appropriate wheel which prevented the car from fishtailing.

In contrast my E60 went into a spin more than easily, I was shocked. I just turned the wheel during a slow turn, stepped on the gas a little...then bam! My rear was were my front used to be. My G35 would have never done than (nor my wifes XC90 for that matter!).

Anyone else have similar experience? Hmmmm I wonder if my DSC is broken? I did see the slip light turn on when the back started fishtailing, but it was almost like it didn't do anything.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i know that the DSC is a little delayed in its handling of situations, noticed it since i used to drive MB, and their stability system could never be turned of and is always in control...
i think BMWs system is designed to be sporty giving you little wheel spin before cutting power... but i think it waits a little to long before doing anything..
but i dont think infiniti's system is any better... nissian/infiniti's trac system are much worse, its like there is system at all..
BMWs is much better, sometimes it takes you by suprise, but not so bad when you get used to it...
Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by mtonsi' post='363808' date='Dec 5 2006, 03:16 PM
It was not complete ice, but snow. My G35 would have not gone into a spin in the same situation, nor our XC90.
Then, please by all means, drive Your safety harnesses on and let real cars to the real men who know how to handle those.

BMW is for DRIVERS, movers are for soccer mom's. Try Viper...

We have driven on ice, snow and gravel for ever and only "DSC" was between steering wheel and drivers seat! <_<

Skaffa

PS. bad day!
Old 12-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

1. You need snow tires.
2. Did you push the dsc button ? If so. don't.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by mtonsi' post='363806' date='Dec 5 2006, 08:09 AM

Well, the first thing that pops into my brain is that there is likely a distinctly different drive bias between the two cars - your experience likely has much more to do with that than any differences in anti-slip technologies.

The last AWD car I owned had a rear-drive bias - and I could wag the rear in the dry if I really acted like an ass. An AWD car with a front-drive bias (I assume most Japanese cars like the Infiniti) will behave more like a front wheel drive would when it -does- break loose. Yes, I know the non-AWD G is a rear drive car... but that doesn't matter. The first generation of Carrera 4 cars had the same problem... too much front bias. The design team dictates how a car should behave when implementing the AWD, and in a lot of cases, they choose safe and secure over driving dynamics. That first gen Carrera 4 was meant to finally tame the (in)famous 911 rear end, and I think they went a little overboard flexing their technical muscles. Future iterations behaved more like rear-drivers and were better received by the loyalists.

But I digress... the BMW is probably biased more to the rear, making it a lot more fun to drive, but also meaning that when it breaks loose, it will act more like a rear wheel drive car. Take it for what it is.

I'd say the expectation you are putting on the technology (DSC) is probably too great. I doubt it's falling short of its intended operational expectations.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Members

Nissan's ATTESSA in G35x, is rear-drive bias with 0% power to the front wheels until it senses any slips in the rear wheels then power goes to the front accordingly. It's both mechanical and electronics.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by RH550' post='364280' date='Dec 6 2006, 02:03 PM
Nissan's ATTESSA in G35x, is rear-drive bias with 0% power to the front wheels until it senses any slips in the rear wheels then power goes to the front accordingly. It's both mechanical and electronics.
Interesting. Assuming that the same bias exists in the US market (possible) then I'd have to chalk it up to more aggressive tires or a touchier throttle on the BMW, or perhaps more sensitive steering... all characteristics of the BMW.

Quick Reply: DSC Performance