E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by gotabyte' post='857529' date='Apr 24 2009, 10:54 AM
My first attempt with both off had me drifting on an S-curve in my subdivision. I was quite surprised when the rear wheels came around under power and that is only with a 525i. I could only imaging what would happen with the better versions(535 & up).

If DSC is off and you are not experienced with how to handle a car slide, make sure you have room to work with as the car will break loose. An empty parking lot would be a good place to test it out.

I do find that DTC can hold the car back a lot when pulling out onto a highway. I definitely feel the power loss when DTC kicks in.
as they say on TV...Please don't try this at home!
Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='857540' date='Apr 24 2009, 10:14 AM
as they say on TV...Please don't try this at home!
LOL!
Old 04-24-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I think most are getting it now......

Default is full DSC on, no light on the dash. It will cut power to prevent wheel spin and apply brakes, etc to prevent fish tailing or power slides. On snow or ice, it can reduce the power to the point of you go no where. Even on dry pavement, hard acceleration in a turn is cut. You are simply punching it harder than the computer wants you to.

Press the DTC button once briefly to activate DTC. This allows some wheel spin (but not unrestricted). But stability control is still active to prevent fish tailing. Use this mode in snow to get some forward progress. I also use this mode on a twisty road to help power out of turns but stay safe. I'm not sure why the warning to not use over 45 mph, it seems to work fine.

Press the button for 3 seconds or so to fully disable everything. There's no safety net if you over do it. I use this on track only to get the most control and true-est feel for the car. You'll never fully learn the car with DSC on but this mode (DSC off) should be used with caution and in a safe environment while carefully exploring the cars limits.

IIRC, a short press then re-enables full DSC mode (back to the default).

Note than when fully enabled, a flashing light indicates DSC is applying correction. Driving (accelerating) as hard as you can without it having to correct is a good way to safely learn the limits.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='857493' date='Apr 24 2009, 09:48 AM
When you start the car and 'DTC mode' is not 'activated' if your wheels slip then the car's computer will reduce the power going to the wheels until it gets to a point where there is traction. In some conditions like snow it might result in most of the power being reduced and you would no nowhere, by letting the wheels spin your probably removing the top layers on the surface until you get traction. When I've tried this on my snow covered driveway I've been left with a track of bare asphalt where the wheels spun and cleared it. Wheel spin at 45mph is a bit more dramatic than at 15 so I would guess this is just a warning to not drift in this car! I've never felt the sluggishness with 'DTC mode' activated. With DTC/DSC left in it's default mode I've felt it be more sluggish, because its reducing the power to the wheels if it detects sliding. I was told after my remap to switch DTC/DCS off to really appreciate the extra horsepower (from the remap, no extra hp by pressing the button, I wish!!!).

My commute to work is just on minor back roads that don't get plowed right away, this past winter I got to experience DCS functioning the whole way to the office it's a little like you point the car in the direction you want to go and someone else is controlling the throttle. There were a few intersections where I would have to press DTC and spin the wheels to get any traction at all....next winter snow tires!!!
Good idea. It is not safe to drive in the snow in a V8 E60 with summer tires. All seasons are a bit better but not much. 4 dedicated snows are the way to go in snowy climates.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='858039' date='Apr 24 2009, 07:35 PM
But stability control is still active to prevent fish tailing.
With everything turned off I can't for the life of me swing the ass end out I get the "one wheel wonder" open diff wheel spin around a corner...but thats it. That was in the winter...now that it's 80 degrees + I can barley squeak a tire around a corner. Either my rfts grip too good, or my car isn't running right
Old 04-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Maple | 6 Speed Manual | Sport Package | Logic 7 | Sirius Satellite Radio
Model Year: 2005

When in doubt, read the owner's manual:

DSC Dynamic Stability Control
The system prevents traction loss in the driving wheels when starting off and accelerating. DSC also detects unstable driving conditions such as a fishtailing rear end or sliding of the front wheels. In these cases, DSC helps the vehicle maintain a safe course within physical limits by reducing engine output and through braking actions in the individual wheels.
The DSC is operational every time you start the engine.
The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC. An appropriate driving style always remains the responsibility of the driver. Therefore, do not reduce the additional safety margin again by taking risks.

DTC Dynamic Traction Control
DTC is a version of DSC in which the drive output is optimized for particular road conditions, e.g. unplowed snow-covered roads. The system assures the maximal drive output, but with reduced driving stability. It is therefore necessary to drive with appropriate caution.
You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC under the following special circumstances:
> When driving on snowy inclines, in slush, or on unplowed, snow-covered road surfaces
> When rocking a stuck vehicle free or starting off in deep snow or on loose ground
> When driving with snow chains
Activating DTC
Press the button briefly; the DTC indicator lamp in the instrument cluster lights up.
Deactivating DTC again
Press the button again; the DTC indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out.
Deactivating DTC and DSC together
Press the button until the DSC indicator lamp in the instrument cluster lights up, but not longer than approx. 10 seconds. Stabilizing and drive output promoting actions are no longer executed. In addition, the stability promoting intervention of the active steering is deactivated, refer to page 81.
A message appears on the Control Display.
Please note any supplementary information that appears there.
To increase vehicle stability, activate DSC again as soon as possible.
Reactivating DSC
Press the button; the DTC indicator lamp in the instrument cluster goes out.
To control
The indicator lamp flashes:
DSC or DTC controls the drive forces and brake forces.
The indicator lamp lights up:
DSC and DTC are deactivated together via the button DTC.
The indicator lamp lights up:
DTC is activated via the DTC button.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='858039' date='Apr 24 2009, 07:35 PM
Press the DTC button once briefly to activate DTC.
Richard, If I press the DTC button once briefly to activate DTC, and want to bring it back to default right afterwards; do I just tap the button briefly once more?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='858260' date='Apr 25 2009, 01:50 AM
Richard, If I press the DTC button once briefly to activate DTC, and want to bring it back to default right afterwards; do I just tap the button briefly once more?
Yes, see the post just above.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ktlocklear' post='858078' date='Apr 24 2009, 09:07 PM
With everything turned off I can't for the life of me swing the ass end out I get the "one wheel wonder" open diff wheel spin around a corner...but thats it. That was in the winter...now that it's 80 degrees + I can barley squeak a tire around a corner. Either my rfts grip too good, or my car isn't running right
Try a low speed low gear corner. IE, 30mph in 2nd gear. Obvously do it in a safe area.

PS: I've never tried to drift the 550i with DSC full off but I can definitely feel it intervene with it on during corner exit in hard driving. Oak Tree at VIR in 2nd gear would kick the tail out every time if I wanted it to.

I just might have to go out and play.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

I know that if I push it hard in a corner from a stop, the DSC/DTC light will flicker on/off as it seems to loose a bit a traction and regain its control.