5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   DSC Mode (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/dsc-mode-75649/)

AKAlius 04-23-2009 02:00 PM

In my car there is only the DSC button next to my seat heater buttons. The DSC button's light has never been switched on. Does this mean that the DSC feature is not on and I am controlling all aspects of the way my car drives and not the computer?

Also, I would like to know how others are driving with the feature, switched on or left off? What should be the norm for daily driving through the city?

Krozi 04-23-2009 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='856869' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:00 PM
In my car there is only the DSC button next to my seat heater buttons. The DSC button's light has never been switched on. Does this mean that the DSC feature is not on and I am controlling all aspects of the way my car drives and not the computer?

Also, I would like to know how others are driving with the feature, switched on or left off? What should be the norm for daily driving through the city?

If no light is on then you are in the safe zone. If you press the button once DTC will be activated and DSC will be limited. If you depress the button for 3 seconds, DSC will be inactive.
When DSC is inactive, the driver is the only thing controlling the car...no computer.

I have only tried DTC. I have never tried fully de-activating DSC. Because the last time I did that I almost crashed my sisters car :nono:
I usually just keep the Stability system on because I don't race around town :P . A friend of mine keeps his DTC on and his DSC limited when he drives (pressing the button once) because he drives a little less reserved than I do :lol:

acuteperformance 04-23-2009 02:07 PM

when you push the DSC i believe there is something on your dashboard that lights up. when the light is on that means DSC is off.

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='856869' date='Apr 23 2009, 03:00 PM

gblass 04-23-2009 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='856875' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:07 PM
when you push the DSC i believe there is something on your dashboard that lights up. when the light is on that means DSC is off.

+1 Its on automatically unless you press the button to turn it off.

Richard in NC 04-23-2009 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='856874' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:07 PM
If no light is on then you are in the safe zone. If you press the button once DTC will be activated and DSC will be limited. If you depress the button for 3 seconds, DSC will be inactive.
When DSC is inactive, the driver is the only thing controlling the car...no computer.

Correct. DSC is on by default with no light on the dash.

wickster 04-23-2009 02:38 PM

Haven't you ever noticed a yellow light flicker on the dash when your on the power, (its your traction control kicking in) say going up a hill or in the wet? Mine does it quite a lot, and I'd think twice about having it off, the back end would be out a lot other wise.. :P

Brit_in_NJ 04-23-2009 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='856874' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:07 PM

I have only tried DTC. I have never tried fully de-activating DSC. Because the last time I did that I almost crashed my sisters car :nono:
I usually just keep the Stability system on because I don't race around town :P . A friend of mine keeps his DTC on and his DSC limited when he drives (pressing the button once) because he drives a little less reserved than I do :lol:

that would be DTC off and DSC on...

one push DTC off (DSC limited but it works...trust me o:) )
3 second push DTC and DSC off (Its really off....trust me on that too :whistle: )

If you have passengers make sure you have your rubber matts in! :devil:

Richard in NC 04-23-2009 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='856953' date='Apr 23 2009, 06:59 PM

3 second push DTC and DSC off (Its really off....trust me on that too :whistle: )

You have it backwards. Per the '08 manual, pressing the DTC button ACTIVATES DTC mode. This is a Dynamic Traction Control that allows some wheel slipage without disabling DSC (you where correct on that). DTC lights up on the dash, and the iDrive display indicates "stability control is limited" or something to that effect.

Brit_in_NJ 04-23-2009 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='856960' date='Apr 23 2009, 07:10 PM
You have it backwards. Per the '08 manual, pressing the DTC button ACTIVATES DTC mode. This is a Dynamic Traction Control that allows some wheel slipage without disabling DSC (you where correct on that). DTC lights up on the dash, and the iDrive display indicates "stability control is limited" or something to that effect.

Well maybe its semantics but with wheel slippage, traction control is off in my 'book'. (the hypothetical 'book' not BMW manual...I'll have to read that later but I don't doubt that's what it says)

AKAlius 04-23-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='856953' date='Apr 23 2009, 05:59 PM

So, if I were to push the DSC button in and hold it for 3 sec. how do I get it back to normal after that?