E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Inactive / damaged

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530D, Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Leather, Active Steering, Navigation System Professional, 6-CD Changer, Sunroof, Automatic Airconditioning Advance

Hi,

I wish my new year would have started better than this..

Last night, 23.40, I was driving in rain (poor visibility) at around 45 mph and hit front on into a high Kerb with my front right wheel (Pedestrian island in the centre of the road). The rim seems damaged and the DCS system is now out of order. The CCC is telling me to have the DSC System checked out at a dealer.

I did manager to drive home carefully and did not notice any variation in driving, however I am quite scared that I may have damaged something which could be costly to mend.

Does anyone know what might have happened.

I just wish that I am not faced with a big bill.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

although i have not hit anythign , after a big bump once the dsc displayed as inactive and
i too was prompted to go to servicing... needless to say i drove home switched off the car
and the next day it worked well..

hopefully youll be lucky...

Anyways the dsc system uses a multitude of sensors on the wheels and so on to detect slip so its very possible that you simply knocked one of them out. they cost 90euros each so you should be OK
Old 01-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I would not worry about DSC damage, that is only electronics so the worst is probably that it will need some kind of restart or reset.
I would definitely get the wheel rebalanced at a tire shop and perhaps have the front axle (don't know the right word) checked too. Just check it by sight if nothing is bednt or broken.

Maybe it is worth of 100$ to get digital geometry alignmet. The car will be most probably disbalanced. For sure in fact
Old 01-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530D, Titanium Silver, Grey Dakota Leather, Active Steering, Navigation System Professional, 6-CD Changer, Sunroof, Automatic Airconditioning Advance

I'm planning to get the damaged wheel replaced with a new one and then I will hand it to the dealer to see.

At the end, we have 3 yrs warranty on them things...

They may just mend things under warranty...

By the way, I have Active Steering... hope that has not been affected... any idea anyone?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

DSC needs sensors by the disc brakes

You probably damaged one or knocked it loose

Dealer should be able to fix it easily
Old 01-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Originally Posted by Analyst' post='217966' date='Jan 1 2006, 12:22 PM
I'm planning to get the damaged wheel replaced with a new one and then I will hand it to the dealer to see.

At the end, we have 3 yrs warranty on them things...

They may just mend things under warranty...

By the way, I have Active Steering... hope that has not been affected... any idea anyone?
Hey man sorry yo hear about this.. It seems like everyhting is in order jsut prob need a dealer reset and I would tell them to check everyhting jsut to be safe.. however you said that they will replace the wheel under warranty?? I don't believe that is correct or else BMW would be losing major money cause i know how many people hit curbs and stuff and that would cost BMW a fortune (factory defect is different I.E. you damaged the wheel so its your liabilty).
Old 01-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Members

Hey,

I didnt mean that they will replace the wheel for free, but thought they may check and repair the DSC sensors.

But no need. I have good news. After 2 days, all warning messages have disappeared and the car is driving like normal!!! I am amazed. There is a slight pull to the left thought when I let the steering go.. Maybe the wheels needs re-aligning.

Its good to see how solid these cars are built. I friend of mine had a Volvo and did something similar and he seperated the front wheel from the axis by doing so.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Sorry to hear, but 45 mph into a Pedestrian Island seems pretty fast to me

It's probably only the DSC sensor that broke, no big bill, but the wheel and the front chassi
has be checked out as soon as possible!

There might be some damage that could be critical later!