E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC/DTC/ABS Failures

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else had any problems with DSC/DTC/ABS failures? It has happened twice to us now, and the dealer doesn't seem to know what is causing it or how to fix it. They just reset the code and say it is fixed.
When it happens, warning lights come on all over the car, exclamation points, dinging, etc... The first time, ABS stopped working, and DSC did as well. It was a very inopportune time, as it occured on the interstate during a heavy rain.
This time, the brakes went completely out in the car-- the pedal became rock hard and impossible to push down. This is a serious safety issue, OBVIOUSLY. It didn't reset itself after restarting the car either.
Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on what to tell the dealer to look for? Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

"Sue,", how's the lawsuit progressing? To me, it's an open and shut case...
Old 01-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

We have to wait for our day in court... literally. Our court date was over 10 months away from when we filed, and we're still waiting for it. The thing that stinks is that we can't get rid of the car until we win the hearing, or we forfeit the case. And we have to keep paying every month for the car that is perpetually broken and completely unreliable. And I don't want to get yet another car to replace this one until we are sure the car is going away (nor do I want to have to make an extra car payment).
Grrrrrr....
So, anyone else with the DSC problem?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

suebmw, i don't have this problem but it's quite "amazing" that your husband and you are still facing all the problems that suppose to be fixed by your dealer. now i feel my dealer is a first class one .
Old 01-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Well, we pretty much have to keep dealing with the problems, because we keep driving the car, because BMW won't take the thing back without an in-court fight. And... the dealer can't seem to fix ANYTHING.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

i know you went through so much and sorry to see not much we can help in here . bmwna won't do a thing for you and you might want to try bmw munich .
Old 01-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Senior Members

I would find another dealer.
My DSC light came on intermittently and the last time I was in a position to take it to the dealer with the light still on. I left the car running while I went in to get an SA. A tech took it back to the shop and got the right code. It was a "valve block".
Old 01-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jimbo' date='Jan 31 2005, 01:34 PM
I would find another dealer.
My DSC light came on intermittently and the last time I was in a position to take it to the dealer with the light still on. I left the car running while I went in to get an SA. A tech took it back to the shop and got the right code. It was a "valve block".
[snapback]85167[/snapback]
Sadly, we've tried all the dealers within 100 miles, and this one is the lesser of the evils. I'll certainly look into a valve block failure. With absolutely no brakes, we couldn't drive it to the dealer. It had to be towed in. (And, Roadside wouldn't pick it up for OVER A DAY)! (And the first time it happened my husband was 600 miles away & it was a Sunday). It's a frustrating situation.
Thanks!
Old 04-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Members

I don't know if they fixed your DTC/ABS problem but on my car they just replaced all 4 sensors. At least that problem was fixed, not the other ones....
Old 04-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:31 PM
Well, we pretty much have to keep dealing with the problems, because we keep driving the car, because BMW won't take the thing back without an in-court fight.? And... the dealer can't seem to fix ANYTHING.
[snapback]84987[/snapback]
That's awful. If it was me, I would become a one-man PR wrecking machine. A web site, letters and calls to executives, etc. The court system is rubbish, it takes forever to get anything done. With one stroke of a pen somebody at BMW could take this car back.

Heck, with the BRAKES locking up like that, you could go to 60 minutes, state AG, etc., threaten to turn this into a PR debacle on the level of the Audi 'unintended acceleration' fiasco 15 years ago.

Quick Reply: DSC/DTC/ABS Failures