E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DRIVING IN THE SNOW ANY TIPS/WAYS TO MAKE IT ABIT MORE MOBILE THAN USE

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks every one good points tyres on order to go on stock wheels ready for winter
Old 09-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by matttytn2
It seems to me from talking to fellow e60 owners when it snows these cars are damn near useless. is it worth me getting snow chains? do they work? is there anything else i can do to stay mobile or shall i buy this 4x4 scooby for winter i have my eye on... i would rather spend that money on more mods tho
get a really good set of winter tires and youll be fine.. i drive my 550 up my block which is on a hill and into my driveway, on a hill too! with no problems!! just be easy on the gas and youll be fine.. if your on the wrong tires it can be like night and day...

p.s my continental summer tires in cold rain and snow are like riding on slicks, my dws's are awesome.!!!! get good tires!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Members

HI,
Last year whilst living in Scotland i found the solution. On normal tyres these cars are no use in the snow. My solution was to fit two rally tyres which i bought secondhand from someone who rallies, not very easy to get im afraid. But they transformed the car into an suv, im not joking. I was pulling people out of the snow with a tow rope.

Now, vredestein make a tyre its called wintrac 4 extreme. You may get away with two on the drive wheels like i did. You will notice a massive difference.

Good Luck

fraseman
Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by fraseman999
HI,
Last year whilst living in Scotland i found the solution. On normal tyres these cars are no use in the snow. My solution was to fit two rally tyres which i bought secondhand from someone who rallies, not very easy to get im afraid. But they transformed the car into an suv, im not joking. I was pulling people out of the snow with a tow rope.

Now, vredestein make a tyre its called wintrac 4 extreme. You may get away with two on the drive wheels like i did. You will notice a massive difference.

Good Luck

fraseman

niiiice find. rally FTW

former subie owner
Old 09-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Members

Put good tires on the rear only and you'll find yourself sliding into a ditch or crashing into the back of another car faster than you can say "I'm a cheap S.O.B."
Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto

Does DTC help at all?
I once saw a TopGear show on how a Jag was able to climb a steep icy hill with the DTC on (not sure about the tires).
Then they tried (with the same car) the same hill with DTC off and it could not even start climbing, i.e. the rear wheels never reached the slope.

I go skiing to Europe once or twice a year (for a week each time) and live in a shoe box.
I hardly have any space for the service book let alone for 4 spare winter tires!
I have chains but have not had to use them yet - I have practised putting them on though... :-)
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by smurf520i
Does DTC help at all?
I once saw a TopGear show on how a Jag was able to climb a steep icy hill with the DTC on (not sure about the tires).
Then they tried (with the same car) the same hill with DTC off and it could not even start climbing, i.e. the rear wheels never reached the slope.

I go skiing to Europe once or twice a year (for a week each time) and live in a shoe box.
I hardly have any space for the service book let alone for 4 spare winter tires!
I have chains but have not had to use them yet - I have practised putting them on though... :-)
DTC and ABS (and all other types of electronic traction/stability assistance) can only help the car to drive to the limit that the tire is capable of. Winter tires have limits that are far superior to those of all-seasons and will keep you on the road (or stop you) when all-seasons will not. DTC, ABS etc. will not make an all-season tire grip better, but they can correct (to a certain extent) for driver input error.

Here's an interesting video showing the difference between cars with four winter tires versus two in the rear.
http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=22&tab=winter

For someone in your situation, carrying chains seems like the best option but make sure you have four, not just two in the rear.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by matttytn2
thanks every one good points tyres on order to go on stock wheels ready for winter

That is a good investment. You will be fine with a good set of snow tires. I ran dedicated snows on my last two BMW's and they worked very well. Don't listen to the nonsense that these cars don't do well in snow.