E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Driver Seat - No Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i

I went to pick up my car from the tinting shop where I had Formula One Pinnacle installed. After checking their work, I went to sit in the driver seat, but the seat had been adjusted, so I couldn't fit it. I guess in order for the installers to have adequate access to the back seat, they moved both Sport Seats (20-way), to the full forward, max height position.

I went to adjust the driver seat back (I'm 6'-3", so I need it all the back and lowered), and nothing happened. I checked all the buttons, but still, it was dead. I went around to the passenger side seat, and it adjusted fine back into its normal position.

Of course the shop verified they moved it up, but could not explain why it suddendly became inoperable. It was late, the shop was closed, and no dealers where open, so I was forced to drive the car home with the seat in a position not even suited for the smallest of humans.

Anyway, there are no I-Drive errors, and I've looked under the seat to make sure there is no debris in the seat tracks, so I completely stumped.

This obviously sounds like an electrical issue, but the timing of this failure is somewhat suspect. Does anyone have any idea why my seat is dead?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Patrick
Old 07-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by joojoobee' post='628266' date='Jul 19 2008, 10:56 PM
I went to pick up my car from the tinting shop where I had Formula One Pinnacle installed. After checking their work, I went to sit in the driver seat, but the seat had been adjusted, so I couldn't fit it. I guess in order for the installers to have adequate access to the back seat, they moved both Sport Seats (20-way), to the full forward, max height position.

I went to adjust the driver seat back (I'm 6'-3", so I need it all the back and lowered), and nothing happened. I checked all the buttons, but still, it was dead. I went around to the passenger side seat, and it adjusted fine back into its normal position.

Of course the shop verified they moved it up, but could not explain why it suddendly became inoperable. It was late, the shop was closed, and no dealers where open, so I was forced to drive the car home with the seat in a position not even suited for the smallest of humans.

Anyway, there are no I-Drive errors, and I've looked under the seat to make sure there is no debris in the seat tracks, so I completely stumped.

This obviously sounds like an electrical issue, but the timing of this failure is somewhat suspect. Does anyone have any idea why my seat is dead?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Patrick
In the spring I noticed I had a no heat in the lower portion of my seat and after poking around down there I found a connector that had become detached. I can't remember now but there probably is another one under there for the power supply to the motors and buttons (as my seat moved fine just no heat)

Have a look under there and see if its something obvious like that.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Wouldn't it have been smarter to leave your car at the shop and see if they can fix it for you in the morning? If anything, they should still be responsible for it. The shop even said one of their mechanics adjusted it while doing the rear window. So the shop openly admitted to you that it was operational when the shop had it under their care. But you drove off with it anyway leaving the obligation for them to fix it no longer mandatory. If you could of actually fix it when you drove it off, I get why you accepted your car but you didn't. You made your ride inconvenient for yourself and probably will again when you drive it to BMW or back to the shop to get it corrected.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Arrow

I'm picturing someone's foot slipping in under your seat as they sit in the back and contort their body to put on your window tint to the back window. Probably focused on their work and may have been unaware of what they were rubbing up against or even pressing with their feet or foot.

Have you gotten behind your seat with a flashlight in hand and looked for any hanging wires or anything unplugged? Maybe compare the back under part of the driver's seat to how it looks under the working passenger seat? Maybe a BMW mechanic or SA can tell you over the phone where the power connection for the E60 seat is located?

Just throwing out ideas. I think it will end up being something simple ... Hope so. Let us know how it turns out. GL.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Boxador' post='628306' date='Jul 19 2008, 09:08 PM
Wouldn't it have been smarter to leave your car at the shop and see if they can fix it for you in the morning? If anything, they should still be responsible for it. The shop even said one of their mechanics adjusted it while doing the rear window. So the shop openly admitted to you that it was operational when the shop had it under their care. But you drove off with it anyway leaving the obligation for them to fix it no longer mandatory. If you could of actually fix it when you drove it off, I get why you accepted your car but you didn't. You made your ride inconvenient for yourself and probably will again when you drive it to BMW or back to the shop to get it corrected.
There was nothing they could do, they are tint installers. Plus, they are closed in the morning. Ultimately, this will either be fix by me, or at the dealer. However, they did offer to pay for any damages if the seat issue was caused by them during the tint installation.

I had a choice; leave my car in a tint shop til Monday (no friggin way), or get into a fetal position, and drive home. I chose the latter.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 06530-6M' post='628318' date='Jul 19 2008, 09:43 PM
I'm picturing someone's foot slipping in under your seat as they sit in the back and contort their body to put on your window tint to the back window. Probably focused on their work and may have been unaware of what they were rubbing up against or even pressing with their feet or foot.

Have you gotten behind your seat with a flashlight in hand and looked for any hanging wires or anything unplugged? Maybe compare the back under part of the driver's seat to how it looks under the working passenger seat? Maybe a BMW mechanic or SA can tell you over the phone where the power connection for the E60 seat is located?

Just throwing out ideas. I think it will end up being something simple ... Hope so. Let us know how it turns out. GL.
That's exactly what I was thinking. It even looked like they dislodged the seat guiderail plastic cover a bit. I jiggled that around, and it snapped back in place.

I'm going to checked it out in the morning with a flashlight. All signs point to a loose connection. If not, its off to dealer on Monday. Thank for the comments.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by joojoobee' post='628335' date='Jul 20 2008, 01:21 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. It even looked like they dislodged the seat guiderail plastic cover a bit. I jiggled that around, and it snapped back in place.

I'm going to checked it out in the morning with a flashlight. All signs point to a loose connection. If not, its off to dealer on Monday. Thank for the comments.
Hi, can you please let us know the results, because I am afraid I might have the same problem . Yesterday the passenger seat was moving fine in all 1001 different directions , but now somehow all the power seems to be lost because it is not doing anything. So I was kinda hoping that you could give us an update.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sosohappy' post='643379' date='Aug 10 2008, 01:11 AM
Hi, can you please let us know the results, because I am afraid I might have the same problem . Yesterday the passenger seat was moving fine in all 1001 different directions , but now somehow all the power seems to be lost because it is not doing anything. So I was kinda hoping that you could give us an update.

Thanks
Basically, it was what 06530-6M predicted. When the seat was moved all the way forward and up (vertically), it must of put tension on the main seat power connection. With the seat in this position the wires are much more exposed and supseptable to dislodging. When I check in out in the morning, one of the plastic bundle connections, located near the front of the was slightly pulled out, so I wiggled it back into position, and like magic the seat had power again. I tried to take some pictures, but it's hard to get a good shot of this area.

I was at the dealer last week for another issue, and had them check the seat for shorts, and other possible damage. The tech guy confirmed that the wires were in good shape, and what I did most likely resolved the issue. Hope that helps.