E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 530 xenon upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

hey guys,

i've got a '04 530i with Halogen Headlights (yuck) and have been wanting to upgrade to the xenons. I was able to pick up a set of the headlights on ebay for $600 for the headlight including bulbs, ballast, and control module. (everything that comes with the original headlight). I installed the headlight- everything worked- signals, high beams, angel eyes, EXCEPT the HIDs. Took it to the dealer and it didnt recognize the headlight to be programmed (as i found out- it needs to be programmed). SA told me I need to buy the retrofit kit which includes other parts ($1700!!!) no way! Does anyone know what other parts I would need to make the upgrade to xenon headlights work? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

The HID part reqires and extra earth which you need to add to the loom. If you look on the headlight plug you will see that the xenon has an extra pin
Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by amd20' post='452422' date='Jul 26 2007, 10:07 PM
hey guys,

i've got a '04 530i with Halogen Headlights (yuck) and have been wanting to upgrade to the xenons. I was able to pick up a set of the headlights on ebay for $600 for the headlight including bulbs, ballast, and control module. (everything that comes with the original headlight). I installed the headlight- everything worked- signals, high beams, angel eyes, EXCEPT the HIDs. Took it to the dealer and it didnt recognize the headlight to be programmed (as i found out- it needs to be programmed). SA told me I need to buy the retrofit kit which includes other parts ($1700!!!) no way! Does anyone know what other parts I would need to make the upgrade to xenon headlights work? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Did your EBay purchase include the self leveling device ? Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='452815' date='Jul 28 2007, 07:32 AM
The HID part reqires and extra earth which you need to add to the loom. If you look on the headlight plug you will see that the xenon has an extra pin

Does anyone know where I can get this extra wire? Any installation instructions? (does anyone have the installation instructions for the Xenon upgrade kit?)
Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M Sport Carbon Black

Originally Posted by Dav530d' post='452815' date='Jul 28 2007, 01:32 PM
Hi Dave,

I fiitted an OEM set of Xenons but can't get adaptive feature to work. I have the dial adjustment under switch for the original Halogens. Have you come accross this problem?

Also, the highbeam (inner halogen) is not very strong. Should the Xenon switch to high beam itself. Headlight is nothing as good as halogens were.

Would appreciate any assistance.

Cheers

Dave
Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Davey G' post='636269' date='Jul 30 2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Dave,

I fiitted an OEM set of Xenons but can't get adaptive feature to work. I have the dial adjustment under switch for the original Halogens. Have you come accross this problem?

Also, the highbeam (inner halogen) is not very strong. Should the Xenon switch to high beam itself. Headlight is nothing as good as halogens were.

Cheers

Dave
Hi Davey,

it seems you were able upgrade from halogen to xenons. How did you manage to replace / fix the wire issue? (extra earth needed on the connector...)? I'm stuck here!

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Originally Posted by Davey G' post='636269' date='Jul 31 2008, 03:05 AM
Hi Dave,

Cheers

Dave
In order to get adaptive feature to work you need coding. You may also need a new LCM.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Originally Posted by amd20' post='638957' date='Aug 4 2008, 04:36 AM
Hi Davey,

it seems you were able upgrade from halogen to xenons. How did you manage to replace / fix the wire issue? (extra earth needed on the connector...)? I'm stuck here!

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Hi amd20,

As dav530d mentioned you need to add an extra wire to the loom and connect that wire to the chassis (ground). You can find more on this thread
Old 08-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Members

Hi Kekkos,

Cheers for that. I presume this is something I need to get done by the main dealer??

Can imagine they'll charge an arm and a leg!!!

Obviously the computer needs to be told that the car now has Adaptive feature.

Have you any idea if the Xenon should work on High beam also?

Ta

Davey
Old 08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Members

Hi amd20,

If you solder a wire directly onto the spare pin on the Xenon highlamp unit and then straight to an earth. I stuck mine through the spare hole and then sealed it with silicone. I also added the capacitor to sort out error messages. Working great except still need to address the lack of Xenon high beam.

Good luck with the wiring.

Cheers

Davey

Quick Reply: '04 530 xenon upgrade