E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Driver door will not lock

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 09:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 530D xd
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N57
Default Driver door will not lock

I have had an issue with the lock on my drivers door for a while, it wont lock from the outside with the key and sometimes the lock pin in the window stays in some halfway position for some reason, the comfort acces does not work either, the car locks all doors if i press the lock button inside the car but when i press again to unlock the drivers door wont unlock without pulling the handle, i had the car to bmw and they said they were 99% sure it was the acuator so i bought a brand new one that did not fix it they then said it had to be the handle so i bought that as well and it still will not lock last thing i tried was to change the «passive go» module to see if that was the fault but still no change, has anyone had a similar problem if so what fixed it? I don’t really want to go back to bmw either since the last tech said «he didn’t now so much about the older cars» when we complained so any help is appriciated as i dont really want to pay 190$ hour wich they charge here
Old 08-31-2022, 11:28 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

Can you lock the door with the key after replacing the actuator (and handle and everything else the stealership sold you)?

If not, I'm betting that something isn't aligned properly - those are fiddly mechanisms, and if one of the parts is out of place or routed incorrectly, it can prevent everything from working right. The clue is that a couple of the mechanical bits are showing signs of something being wrong - the lock "pin" not moving fully, and the key lock not working. I've never had my door apart, so can't speak to specifics, but I've done quite a few cars and know they can be difficult to put back together correctly.
Old 08-31-2022, 12:33 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 530D xd
Model Year: 2012
Engine: N57

Originally Posted by habbyguy
Can you lock the door with the key after replacing the actuator (and handle and everything else the stealership sold you)?

If not, I'm betting that something isn't aligned properly - those are fiddly mechanisms, and if one of the parts is out of place or routed incorrectly, it can prevent everything from working right. The clue is that a couple of the mechanical bits are showing signs of something being wrong - the lock "pin" not moving fully, and the key lock not working. I've never had my door apart, so can't speak to specifics, but I've done quite a few cars and know they can be difficult to put back together correctly.
The key turns fine can’t really feel anything wrong/different but it won’t lock neither the new acuator or the handle fixed it, had the acuator of and back on a few times too and could not see anything wrong there but i agree it does seem like something is off just no idea where it could be as the install seemed pretty straight forward
Old 08-31-2022, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

If it wasn't the actuator, that's basically the whole kit and kaboodle. Could be an intermittent (dirty) connection.