E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door Seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='400431' date='Mar 9 2007, 12:05 AM
I had the creacking door seal noise since I picked up the car from dealership. Had door seals replaced twice so far. I never had to do this in any other car except for one that was 10 years old (Ford).
I've had no problems with the door seals, but my car was delivered with the seal at the bottom of the rear windscreen hanging off. Apparently they had a bad batch of adhesive which affected quite a few cars.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by s_henge' post='400707' date='Mar 10 2007, 12:00 AM
I've had no problems with the door seals, but my car was delivered with the seal at the bottom of the rear windscreen hanging off. Apparently they had a bad batch of adhesive which affected quite a few cars.
yep my is 1 of them need to put it back on all the time.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by euroman2004' post='400275' date='Mar 8 2007, 08:21 PM
What you you do to get rid of that squiking sound ? i use armoral its good for a week or so then it returns, it is anoying.
By from the very beginning not wax nor silicone...

Go and get those changed!

The early ones did actually have some material problems.

I know, that squaky sealings makes the whole car feel like crap.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Have my car for 3 months now and no noise so far. Here is a TSB regarding this problem. Teflon tape sounds pretty lowtech to me for a car that is loaded with hightech stuff. I wonder if the tape comes in monaco blue metallic as well

TSB_SI_B51_02_05___Squeaking_Noise_From_Door_Frame_Area.pdf
Old 03-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Felix' post='400964' date='Mar 10 2007, 09:30 AM
Have my car for 3 months now and no noise so far. Here is a TSB regarding this problem. Teflon tape sounds pretty lowtech to me for a car that is loaded with hightech stuff. I wonder if the tape comes in monaco blue metallic as well

Attachment 29382
F*ck I hate the BMW dealer , when I got my car at 07/04 and they did not tell me to replace the seal for me cos of the bad material that they used at 01/05
my car only had 1 year warranty on it so now I have to pay for it to get it change cher this way than rejoining the warranty.
It was a good job that I did not renew my warranty with BMW dealer cost a year about $1700us rip off.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Felix' post='400964' date='Mar 9 2007, 05:30 PM

Attachment 29382
First CarboFlo, then new seals then wd40 and now teflon tape. Its clear by the way and cannot really be noticed. I sure as hell hope the fit and finish in the LCI is better.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Members

Problem begins when you wax the car or go to car clean with some hot wax... Or use some silicone treat to our door rubbers sealings.
DO NOT USE SILICONE or any other rubber caring !
Wax goes in to the door seals an dryes there. Next thing is that it starts to make some noise.

Problem is very easily fixed, use some liquid to remove the wax and silicone from the door sealings. Both sides
door and car, example isopropanol alcohol
And problem solved
Old 04-18-2008, 02:05 AM
ajo
Members

Thumbs down

Hi all!

I've had the squeeking problem on my E60 '04.

- But I've noticed, that after opening windows it dissapeared! It is enough, if you just open it for about 1 mm.
- Also it stopped after my friend pushed the window slightly from inside on the topmost side. (I was unable to test it, since I was driving ;-) )

SOLUTION :
I've realized, that the sound isn't comming from the door seal, but the window seal, which is on the top of each window. The seal has two different materials on each side - rubber and a felt-like material. I've removed the seal (it's very easy, it can be done even with hands) and I realized, that under the rubber side, there is 2nd thick tape made of polystyrene-like material (grey stuff that is used for some special packaging as well) glued to the door.

And this is the problem! The grey "soft board" (tape) + the rubber + water = squeeking, creacking .. It's the same as if you would put some water on polystyrene and rub it on a glass. LOL.

I've decided to put some NIVEA-style creme on it to prove, that this is the problem. And it is..

Do you have any long-term lasting solution, please???

Thanks,
ajo
Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ajo' post='563596' date='Apr 18 2008, 10:05 AM
Hi all!

I've had the squeeking problem on my E60 '04.

- But I've noticed, that after opening windows it dissapeared! It is enough, if you just open it for about 1 mm.
- Also it stopped after my friend pushed the window slightly from inside on the topmost side. (I was unable to test it, since I was driving ;-) )

SOLUTION :
I've realized, that the sound isn't comming from the door seal, but the window seal, which is on the top of each window. The seal has two different materials on each side - rubber and a felt-like material. I've removed the seal (it's very easy, it can be done even with hands) and I realized, that under the rubber side, there is 2nd thick tape made of polystyrene-like material (grey stuff that is used for some special packaging as well) glued to the door.

And this is the problem! The grey "soft board" (tape) + the rubber + water = squeeking, creacking .. It's the same as if you would put some water on polystyrene and rub it on a glass. LOL.

I've decided to put some NIVEA-style creme on it to prove, that this is the problem. And it is..

Do you have any long-term lasting solution, please???

Thanks,
ajo
I have the same thing from a rear door. It creaks but if I lower the window slightly it goes away.
Anyone got a solution?
Old 04-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I just called my dealer about my door seals. I was shocked to find out this will cost me $1017.00 plus tax to get fixed. Seems kind of steep for a fix that may only last a year or two. I will go an alternate route to see if I can clean them up to remove some of the wax/silicone residue that may be on them. Don't mind doing this every so often. Still beats spending over a grand for a temporary fix anyway.

Quick Reply: Door Seal