E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door opened at speed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer will check it out next week.

Thanks for all the good (?) info guys
Old 08-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Red
Members

My Ride: MY06 530i, US Spec, Premium, Nav, HUD, Comfort seats, CWP, Sport package, Rear side airbags. Produced Sep 06.

Originally Posted by cidair' date='Aug 5 2005, 03:10 PM
When driving through Zurich a couple of days ago the drivers door went open!

I was taking a left hand 90 deg bend, at a roadwork area, at appr. 40 km/h.
All of a sudden my door opened like halfways. It did not swing fully open.
Central locking was locked and the locking pin was down. Very scary! I first thought taht is was the kids in the back that had managed to open one of their doors! :'(

Anyone experienced this?
[snapback]156325[/snapback]
Pretty scary...get a chance to toss any kids out while it happened? (I often feel like doing that on some road trips with my three boys.) Really glad no one got hurt!
Old 08-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

now your car is extremely dangerous to drive and own :'(. well, i'll do you a favor, i'll keep it for you . ship it over and i'll pay for the freight .
Old 08-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

Hi Cidair

This happened to me also about a week ago when I was driving back from Prague to the UK. The left passenger front door opened itself to the half-locked position even though the central locking was closed. I noticed after, that the door in question "sounded" different when shutting the door. In any case, it didn't happen again but it was pretty scarry at the time.

My car goes in tomorrow for various things to be checked out, one of which will be the door latching mechanisms. Will post here again when I know what the problem is/was.

All the Best

Hobi
Old 08-06-2005, 11:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530I Titanium Silver Sport Package Premium Package Pro Logic 7 sound package 6 CD Changer SAT Radio Heads up Display Navigation PDC Adaptive head lights M sport kit and a few more add ons to come soon!

So what did the dealer say?
Old 08-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Hobi' date='Aug 7 2005, 02:56 AM
Hi Cidair

This happened to me also about a week ago when I was driving back from Prague to the UK.? The left passenger front door opened itself to the half-locked position even though the central locking was closed.? I noticed after, that the door in question "sounded" different when shutting the door.? In any case, it didn't happen again but it was pretty scarry at the time.

My car goes in tomorrow for various things to be checked out, one of which will be the door latching mechanisms.? Will post here again when I know what the problem is/was.

All the Best

Hobi
[snapback]156786[/snapback]
Pretty weird Hobi. Maybe it is the bumpy road in CZ
Make sure you let us know what was the cause and failure so we can all perhaps get it fixed
Old 01-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Members

We too had the door recently open for no reason. We (wife and I) were driving on Freeway. Doors were locked. I was in passenger seat. We go over a bridge and my door opens, not all the way, it opens as if it was not closed all the way. The saftey pin caught it. The doors were all locked. I know this because we have door lock after drive off set.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 - 520i Dec 2004 built Previous 320i for 5 years

Wow. I heard of this for Volvo S80.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

This is very troubling. Seems that each of you had the doors LOCKED, correct?

Was this AUTO LOCK (through iDrive), or locked via the electric lock button, or were they manually locked by the door button, or were the other doors simply remaining locked after entering through the driver's door?

You probably need to sort these out.
Keep us posted.
Ray Hull
Old 01-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by cosmos' post='226265' date='Jan 18 2006, 11:46 PM
We too had the door recently open for no reason. We (wife and I) were driving on Freeway. Doors were locked. I was in passenger seat. We go over a bridge and my door opens, not all the way, it opens as if it was not closed all the way. The saftey pin caught it. The doors were all locked. I know this because we have door lock after drive off set.
If it doesn't happen again, make sure to contribute to the "Glitch on E60" thread. Seriously, that is scary. I wouldn't about the media to catch a hold of this information before BMW fixes it first. Otherwise, you'll have BMW bashers all over the place.

Quick Reply: Door opened at speed!