E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Door locks are a pain

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

All personal preferences... I like it exactlly the way it is... locks when I drive off at about 12mph... and wont unlock when I shut off the engine. And only openning the door with 2 pulls on the handle. I dont want to be able to open the door with one pull.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Think of the double pull this way and it may not bother you so much. The first pull is to unlock the door just like having to pull or flip an unlock mechanism for most other cars. The second is to open the door. The advantage to the BMW door pull method that I like is that I don't have to reach for a door lock in addition to the handle. The handle is the unlock function, which is convenient. My wifes Yucon will not unlock unless you remove the key, which is a pain if someone is staying in the car. The unlock button is harder to locate and operate versus double clutching the handle. The safety aspect of the door staying locked is so some thug can't open your car door when you come to a stop in a dark parking lot or something. Like others have said, I believe it is programable.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

On Euro spec cars the doors all unlock as soon as the ignition is switched off. Must be just US spec that don't do it.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The other benefit to the double-pull method, at least for me, is that the first pull reminds me to press the central unlock button before getting out if I know I'm going to need access to the back seat or trunk. I usually remember to do it based on habit but once in a while, I forget so it's a great reminder...
Old 11-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='199143' date='Nov 16 2005, 01:41 PM
On Euro spec cars the doors all unlock as soon as the ignition is switched off. Must be just US spec that don't do it.

I'm glad its not like that for the US... I hate when american cars unlock the doors when you put the transmission in Park. Drives me nuts! I'm Like Noooooooooooooooooo I didnt tell you to unlock!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Contributors

One of my sister is the only one who complaints about the double pull. The rest are fine with it..specially amigo525.

For some reason, my mind want to think that the double is a security thing. (I know others stated the same)
Old 11-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Titanium Silver, All Weather, XM (Aftermarket)

All good input, it's interesting to read everyone's routines. I am fine with the double-clutch of those that want it, but I would like to choose one pull if the car is stopped and in park. I like the automatic lock feature upon driving, but I would also like the simpler unlock in park. The double-clutch is a great safety feature when the car is moving. It is superfluous when the car is parked. Don't open the lock until I pull the door handle AND it is in park...that's the idea!

Thanks all for a great discussion.

Mark
Old 11-16-2005, 05:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='199228

I'm glad its not like that for the US... I hate when american cars unlock the doors when you put the transmission in Park. Drives me nuts! I'm Like Noooooooooooooooooo I didnt tell you to unlock!
[/quote]

Yup I think is a Euro spec thing, you can either choose to unlock the driver's door only or all doors. But only does it when shutting down your engine. I hate that park and unlock feature on GM too, sometimes you want to stop but not unlocking all four doors and I don't feel safe doing that in North America with all the car jackers.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

I have no issue with the double pull stuff. Mine will unlock too when ignition goes off. However, I wish it had the same feature as in my last car. The doors only unlocked upon me pulling the key out of the ignition. With the key in the ignition, double pull would only unlock that particular door.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

FWIW, I hate the button because of the sequence one has to follow. Typically, I want to unlock the passenger door, to let someone in, but first, must lock mine, then, unlock all. Stupid. A toggle switch with open/close would be much better, but who am I to question Teutonic logic?

Ray Hull

Quick Reply: Door locks are a pain