E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does your car feel different in cold temps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know that in below freezing temps its important to keep your drive train lubricated, joints, and sway bar links lubed, etc. If you don't, you're asking for a break or failure at some point. With cold weather all metal, steel, plastics become frigid and lose strength.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

Originally Posted by AJH
Your car needs a new thermostat my friend

o yeah? thats why the car takes so long to warm up? sometime i hear the fan come on too. its freezing out whys the fan on
Old 12-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

In flying, pilots use a calculation of air density to calculate take-off speeds. It's call ASA (international standard Atmospheres) and is a measure of the average air density at any given airport. Obiviously, the hotter it is, the less air density and so higher take-off speeds are required

Interestingly, this does not apply to engine performance, only airflow over the wings, (lift) so air density should not affect car engine performance, but it should affect high speed aerodynamic handling.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by turbo_lew
OK New problem caused by the cold (I hope).

right it -6[sup]o[/sup]c this morning, car started as normal, very lumpy, a few rev's and she settles down. couldn't be bothered to scrap the ice off the car so decided to sit the and wait for it to heat up.

I turn the heaters on, not a lot of heat yet but my ears popped with the pressure build up inside the car. never happened before. I get out to scrap a bit of ice and as i open the door, again i felt the pressure change. closed the door now i can hear whistling, it coming from the door handle, i could feel air been blown out the handle's all round the car.

in the car again (ear's popped) then went to Tesco's. (It's nice and quite at 6:30 in the morning).

on the way home same thing.

Now is there any air valves/flap to release the pressure in the car. My old cilo had them in the boot (Trunk). I'm guessing that, if it has them they are frozen solid.

Any other ideas?
Not sure why this happens, but I have noticed pressure changes in my cabin as well. It gets particularly pressurized if I'm driving at highway speeds with the roof tilted btw.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
my car rides like a brick shit storm in the cold. suspension hits hard the interior is noiser. all in all just not pleasing like it was warm. not to mention this car seems to take forever to warm up. ill start car at 3am to go to work. start driving it at 3.05 i get to work at 330 and just as im pulling into the parking lot i can feel heat coming from the vents. usually cold started at or around 25 degrees. weird and annoying
lol but +1 on suspension and interior rattles.

Originally Posted by AJH
Hi,

Apperently the oil in shock absorbers can solidify when in sub zero temps. If the oil in the absorber is of a higher quality it will be less efected by ambient temps. The car should become better as you drive.

Your car will be quicker when its cold because the oxygen is more dense causing a larger explosion in the combustion chamber. Exactly the same effect as having an intercooler.

Yup

Originally Posted by AJH
Your car needs a new thermostat my friend
So the slow warm up is one of the symptoms? I'm not complaining, but was planning to swap out the thermostat anyway this winter, so looking forward to faster warm-ups

Originally Posted by Howitzer
I do know that in below freezing temps its important to keep your drive train lubricated, joints, and sway bar links lubed, etc. If you don't, you're asking for a break or failure at some point. With cold weather all metal, steel, plastics become frigid and lose strength.
Good tip! Thanks!

Keep em coming!

Originally Posted by higher
In flying, pilots use a calculation of air density to calculate take-off speeds. It's call ASA (international standard Atmospheres) and is a measure of the average air density at any given airport. Obiviously, the hotter it is, the less air density and so higher take-off speeds are required

Interestingly, this does not apply to engine performance, only airflow over the wings, (lift) so air density should not affect car engine performance, but it should affect high speed aerodynamic handling.
I think you are not taking into consideration that the engines are slightly different in cars and planes. In cars the temperature of the air going into the intake can affect the engine's output. That is a fact. There is a ratio - google it

Airflow only matters at high speeds in cars. At city speeds, only cross-winds have any real affect - and even those are mostly limited to marginal fuel consumption increases. Most people would not know it even makes a difference.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:38 AM
AJH
Members

So why do some cars have intercoolers to 'cool' the air being used in the combustion proccess? I was always led to believe, the cooler the air the denser it will be, creating a larger explosion.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AJH
So why do some cars have intercoolers to 'cool' the air being used in the combustion proccess? I was always led to believe, the cooler the air the denser it will be, creating a larger explosion.
Dunno ! I only know about ASA in flying and that I use more fuel in my car in winter...! Not noticed any difference in performance on a hot or cold day....only on 'gremlin' days, when the car got 'outa the wrong side of the bed', then it drives like a sack of s**t.

Intercooler (I guess) is to get more air / fuel mixture into cylinder.

Good point someone made, about aicraft and car engines being different...jet turbines are much more basic in combustion terms than a lean-burn car engine.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:15 PM
AJH
Members

Dunno ! I only know about ASA in flying and that I use more fuel in my car in winter...! Not noticed any difference in performance on a hot or cold day....only on 'gremlin' days, when the car got 'outa the wrong side of the bed', then it drives like a sack of s**t.

Intercooler (I guess) is to get more air / fuel mixture into cylinder.

Good point someone made, about aicraft and car engines being different...jet turbines are much more basic in combustion terms than a lean-burn car engine.
Air density is definately a factor in the performance of car engines as proved by the addition of an intercooler.