E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does your car feel different in cold temps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

BTW I was watching this show yesterday, where they were repossessing a jet (yes, I know - how AWESOME is THAT show?! ), and they said that on airplanes when the weather gets below freezing all seals in the engines tend to fail. And get this, they fail more when a plane just sits there. This is eerily reminiscent of our cars, isn't it? - they tend to come up with problems if left alone for a few days in cold weather. But it got me thinking that the sunroof seal is just part of normal maintenance - I'll probably need to replace it by next winter again. At least it isn't a jet, where a seal can cost a couple of times what an entire E60 would
Old 12-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

[quote name='v_therussian' timestamp='1291886826' post='1280295']
Do you have a manual or automatic?

Thanks for making me feel better knocking on wood for both of us too over here

Auto, can't be bothered with changing gear any more. (that sound bad from a 27yr old who's still a boy racer at heart.) Had my parents porsche for 3 week the other month and couldn't wait to give it back. manual, even had to turn the light and wiper on myself. does have good heated seat and is fast. A little of topic.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Contributors

Oh, I'm definitely with you on the manual wipers and lights - what is up with that sh!t?! :thumbsdown: What's next - manual windows? But I love my manual - I'm used to it, so I don't mind rowing and clutching. Makes it more fun to fling the car around when I'm in the curvy parts of the road. Ideally though, I'd have a daily driver car with an automatic and have a weekend racer with a stick or a double-clutch type setup - maybe some day
Old 12-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Both of mine have a pretty ugly creak in the front when going over speed bumps in the cold.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i,1995 M3
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Ideally though, I'd have a daily driver car with an automatic and have a weekend racer with a stick or a double-clutch type setup - maybe some day
Yeah, sounds good to me--when I'm 65!! For now I'll have a big comfy E60 with a stick shift to drive on the roads, and a race car with a stick shift to drive on the track. Only had the 545 for a couple months now, but it behaves very well in cold weather. Sits inside at night, I'm sure that helps.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by itb76
Yeah, sounds good to me--when I'm 65!! For now I'll have a big comfy E60 with a stick shift to drive on the roads, and a race car with a stick shift to drive on the track. Only had the 545 for a couple months now, but it behaves very well in cold weather. Sits inside at night, I'm sure that helps.
Doesn't hurt to park inside - especially, if you don't drive it every day. Nice setup

My E60 is a compromise between a "race car" and a daily driver
Old 12-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

OK New problem caused by the cold (I hope).

right it -6[sup]o[/sup]c this morning, car started as normal, very lumpy, a few rev's and she settles down. couldn't be bothered to scrap the ice off the car so decided to sit the and wait for it to heat up.

I turn the heaters on, not a lot of heat yet but my ears popped with the pressure build up inside the car. never happened before. I get out to scrap a bit of ice and as i open the door, again i felt the pressure change. closed the door now i can hear whistling, it coming from the door handle, i could feel air been blown out the handle's all round the car.

in the car again (ear's popped) then went to Tesco's. (It's nice and quite at 6:30 in the morning).

on the way home same thing.

Now is there any air valves/flap to release the pressure in the car. My old cilo had them in the boot (Trunk). I'm guessing that, if it has them they are frozen solid.

Any other ideas?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

my car rides like a brick shit storm in the cold. suspension hits hard the interior is noiser. all in all just not pleasing like it was warm. not to mention this car seems to take forever to warm up. ill start car at 3am to go to work. start driving it at 3.05 i get to work at 330 and just as im pulling into the parking lot i can feel heat coming from the vents. usually cold started at or around 25 degrees. weird and annoying
Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM
AJH
Members

Hi,

Apperently the oil in shock absorbers can solidify when in sub zero temps. If the oil in the absorber is of a higher quality it will be less efected by ambient temps. The car should become better as you drive.

Your car will be quicker when its cold because the oxygen is more dense causing a larger explosion in the combustion chamber. Exactly the same effect as having an intercooler.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 AM
AJH
Members

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
my car rides like a brick shit storm in the cold. suspension hits hard the interior is noiser. all in all just not pleasing like it was warm. not to mention this car seems to take forever to warm up. ill start car at 3am to go to work. start driving it at 3.05 i get to work at 330 and just as im pulling into the parking lot i can feel heat coming from the vents. usually cold started at or around 25 degrees. weird and annoying
Your car needs a new thermostat my friend

Quick Reply: Does your car feel different in cold temps?