E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does your car feel different in cold temps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I'm planning to switch out the springs and dampers this winter, along with all the mounts (and possibly, some other suspension parts). I hope this will take care of the clunking. Isn't it kind of "unprofessional" for a BMW to clunk?
Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

Cold weather is harsh on suspension parts. I always take it easy the 1st 20 mins or so.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

when mines below 40 degrees in the morning on start up my guages dont wake up for about 20 seconds,no gas and no rpm,i went out to warm it up like always and thought oh shit thats extremely low on gas,come back out and it says half tank,i thought i was nuts at first till i realized she was just a little slow to wake up when its freezing outside the next few early morning cold start ups.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dutch 530i
My konis are a little clunky for the first 10 minutes. I notice in traffic more when its really cold the dragon breath coming from the front grill as the radiator steams off condensation.

So that 'dragon's breath' is normal ? I was going to bring it to my SA's attention next trip in.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Mine doesn't feel or behave differently, but the door seals like to creak. And it's intermittent so it didn't do it the one time I told the dealer to check it out... maybe now that it's winter I'll have them try it again cause it annoys the hell outta me when the radio is off!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Well, I've noticed a couple of new cold-weather-related noises - sunroof seal creaking (even though it has been replaced before by BMW) and once my hydraulic steering pump wasn't sounding too happy. Although, the pumps deep grown was barely audible, I do wonder whether it was so low due to car's rather effective sound insulation gotta remember to check my power steering fluid next time I'm by the car.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Contributors

Noticed condensation on the inside of the sunroof seal/trip. So much so, that the manual sun shade was tough to move a problem waiting to happen? hope not
Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

I wouldn't worry about it, whenever it drops below freezing in the morning mine like to give lots of errors, ABS, TPW, Air Bags, DSC oh yer and the gearbox. Also only fires on 4 maybe 5 cylinders.

After 15 - 20 second shes running smooth. I think the glow plug are on there way out. as for the ride, it's a lot stiffer and creaks. after a couple of mile it softens up.

For the pass 3 year it's been the same. It's just the cold. when it get warmer (touch wood) there no problem.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwf1
So that 'dragon's breath' is normal ? I was going to bring it to my SA's attention next trip in.
Yes, seems to be normal:-) Looks embarassing in traffic but I spoke with my garage and he laughed.
He said more car brands have the same its just the 5 series grill lets in all rain, snow and moisture which burns off as it hits boiling metal.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turbo_lew
I wouldn't worry about it, whenever it drops below freezing in the morning mine like to give lots of errors, ABS, TPW, Air Bags, DSC oh yer and the gearbox. Also only fires on 4 maybe 5 cylinders.

After 15 - 20 second shes running smooth. I think the glow plug are on there way out. as for the ride, it's a lot stiffer and creaks. after a couple of mile it softens up.

For the pass 3 year it's been the same. It's just the cold. when it get warmer (touch wood) there no problem.
Do you have a manual or automatic?

Thanks for making me feel better knocking on wood for both of us too over here

Originally Posted by Dutch 530i
Yes, seems to be normal:-) Looks embarassing in traffic but I spoke with my garage and he laughed.
He said more car brands have the same its just the 5 series grill lets in all rain, snow and moisture which burns off as it hits boiling metal.
I've come to respect my car's dragon breath. Even if I can't love it, I can embrace it I just wish that I was not the only one on the road who sees it - I don't think anyone, other than BMW drivers, even know it is there. I wish other drivers saw it and got out of the way

Quick Reply: Does your car feel different in cold temps?