E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Does your car feel different in cold temps?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I'm just curious if this is anything to be concerned about: when outdoor temps get down to about 45F and lower, my suspension seems to tighten up significantly, car rides a lot harsher. The whole thing is somehow a lot stiffer and "rattly'er". I think I hear some clunking from the steering occasionally when I go over bumpy sections, but my indie assures me it is the dampers (aka shocks).

I have a couple of theories.

1. Rubber parts in the suspension and cabin sound-isolation all contract from colder temps, leading to both - tighter suspension and more noise coming into the cabin.

2. Gas in the dampers contracts from colder temps and that leads to the suspension sitting slightly lower, which makes the car ride harsher and leaves more room in all the linkage points to "clunk".

I'm sure both of these theories are wrong at least on some level. I have been told by my indie to swap the dampers and all the mounts. Which I am hoping to accomplish this winter, as soon as I locate a deal on 36mm Bilsteins I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should look to replace along with the springs, dampers and mounts.
I would agree in general with your observations. While I don't get the "clunking" you described my car seems a bit stiffer in the cold. This was especially the case with my e39.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BLooD
Dunno v sorry.
no worries, brother

Originally Posted by Faizd
Finally! and i thought i was crazy and every time i tell someone they tell me to shush

tempretures in summer reach 40C here and there is a huge difference in my cars performance from daytime to night driving

the thing is that the dealer will NOT ACKNOWLEDGE THIS and tell me the car performance is the same

im printing this and going to that as%^&&* NOW
I think you're referring to your car accelerating quicker when the air is colder. Which is totally normal - density of the air varies depending on the ambient temperature. Living where you live, I would imagine temperatures fluctuate significantly day-to-night, so that is your culprit for any lost performance when it is hot.

BTW you can add an RPI scoop with a less restrictive air filter (if you haven't yet), and apply heat-shielding wrap to your intake and exhaust tubing - that would definitely reduce your intake air temp at least a couple of degrees. In general, BMW engines run hotter than average so heat-wrapping should be very effective on intake and exhaust tubing.

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
My car feels cold in cold temperatures and hot in hot temperatures.
I wasn't talking about what it feels like when you stick your ding dong in the exhaust, you perv!

Originally Posted by Dutch 530i
My konis are a little clunky for the first 10 minutes. I notice in traffic more when its really cold the dragon breath coming from the front grill as the radiator steams off condensation.
Maybe it is NOT a damper issue at all? I wonder if it is the mounts that are to blame. Do you have stock shock/strut mounts? Do you know how many miles they have on them?

Mine are originals and have ~75k miles. This issue has been present since I first had the car though - it had 42k on the clock then.

Originally Posted by wolf
I would agree in general with your observations. While I don't get the "clunking" you described my car seems a bit stiffer in the cold. This was especially the case with my e39.
It is a muted clunking - not loud at all, most people who ride with me don't notice the sound. The car itself feels quite a bit stiffer, but nothing else seems out of the ordinary. Like I said above, I'm wondering if it is not the damper mounts that are to blame for this. Also, curious if there even is a cure for this issue at all... good to know its not "life-threatening", since you've had several cars like that and didn't mention any catastrophic events that you thought came from this - right?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

"Maybe it is NOT a damper issue at all? I wonder if it is the mounts that are to blame. Do you have stock shock/strut mounts? Do you know how many miles they have on them?

Mine are originals and have ~75k miles. This issue has been present since I first had the car though - it had 42k on the clock."

They are original. My cars done about 35k miles so not too much. The mounts were checked when the suspension was changed and they were fine. I think its just the cold weather. Its not bad.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

"Maybe it is NOT a damper issue at all? I wonder if it is the mounts that are to blame. Do you have stock shock/strut mounts? Do you know how many miles they have on them?

Mine are originals and have ~75k miles. This issue has been present since I first had the car though - it had 42k on the clock."

They are original. My cars done about 35k miles so not too much. The mounts were checked when the suspension was changed and they were fine. I think its just the cold weather. Its not bad.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Contributors

So you don't think new mounts would take care of this?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by BLooD
Due to cold air being denser the car should perform slightly better than in hot temps.
+1. With my RPI scoop, it's like a tiny shot of nitrous in there. Well, not quite, but...
Old 11-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530i 2009 M-Style Black w/ biege interior Fully loaded

thanx for the tips, will definetly try it out
Old 11-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Faizd
thanx for the tips, will definetly try it out
My pleasure, brother. Hope you get some good results

GL
Old 11-23-2010, 04:38 AM
Senior Members

Definitely feels stiffer in winter. Can't exactly say what (suspension? shocks? the whole body? leaning in curves? not sure), but feels stiffer. I don't think there's anything to worry about though. Maybe it's that it's just cold - cold air, cold oils and liquids, cold steel, cold body. Also the car is more tempting to squeak and more harsh overall.

It felt that way on my E46 (diesel engine) and now on E60 too (petrol), both in excellent condition. It takes at least an hour until everything is warmed up and the ride feels soft.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

V - I wholeheartedly agree. The car "Feels" different in the cold weather, and "clunkier" (especially with respect to the feel of the suspension and its travel and steering) is definitely a way to describe it, especially when it isn't garaged (at the gym, or leaving the office after work). I seem to notice it more when the ambient outside temperature is 20F (-7C) or below.

Quick Reply: Does your car feel different in cold temps?