E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

does modding void warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

ah, well iv got a box with all my oem parts iv replaced with after market, so if somin really did go wrong i guess i can just place them back on the car, so the dealer cant moan hehe
Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by russdx' post='835538' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:54 PM
ah, well iv got a box with all my oem parts iv replaced with after market, so if somin really did go wrong i guess i can just place them back on the car, so the dealer cant moan hehe

Haha, thats the way to do it!!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

You can put them all back on IF you have a problem, but I've taken my car in to the dealership with all my mods besides the jb3 and have never had a problem. I've got full suspension (kw v2 coilovers), 20" wheels, exhaust and everything has been a-okay.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

In the US at least the burden would seem to be on the dealer/manufacturer to prove (and not just suspect) that it was a specific modification that caused the issue in question (Magnuson-Moss). Here's an article that makes some interesting observations on the warranty position for modified cars:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keep...html?print=true
Old 04-03-2009, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='835588' date='Apr 3 2009, 05:37 PM
In the US at least the burden would seem to be on the dealer/manufacturer to prove (and not just suspect) that it was a specific modification that caused the issue in question (Magnuson-Moss). Here's an article that makes some interesting observations on the warranty position for modified cars:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/keep...html?print=true
Magnuson-Moss does not speak to aftermarket mods, even though countless articles write that it does. Magnuson-Moss addresses tie-in sales and, inexplicably, people have either confused tie-in sales with mods or they deliberately try to interpret MM in an incorrect manner.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='835666' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:11 PM
Magnuson-Moss does not speak to aftermarket mods, even though countless articles write that it does. Magnuson-Moss addresses tie-in sales and, inexplicably, people have either confused tie-in sales with mods or they deliberately try to interpret MM in an incorrect manner.
so what is your take on this discussion???
Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='835666' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:11 PM
OK. Perhaps you can point to something that confirms you're right and all of those countless articles are wrong. Otherwise, I'm more than happy to go with the consensus view.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by swajames' post='835668' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:16 PM
OK. Perhaps you can point to something that confirms you're right and all of those countless articles are wrong. Otherwise, I'm more than happy to go with the consensus view.
member JSpira's post on e90posts regarding the M&M law..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php...mp;postcount=14
Old 04-03-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='835673' date='Apr 3 2009, 04:28 PM
member JSpira's post on e90posts regarding the M&M law..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php...mp;postcount=14
and in the same thread, member JSpira goes on to post this, which essentially paraphrases at least some of the consensus view.

"Correct, this would not void the warranty and performance mods would only void the warranty if a problem occurs and then in a limited scope (i.e. engine warranty might be voided but the rest of the car?s warranty would still be in force)."

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php...mp;postcount=24

All of that said, we don't see many posts here or on other forums where a dealer has denied a claim or BMW has tried to void a warranty due to modifications. On that basis, it could be inferred that the consensus view is essentially prevailing.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='835667' date='Apr 3 2009, 07:13 PM
so what is your take on this discussion???
Other than the fact that Magnuson-Moss has nothing to do with it?

I really wish people would read the Act before they talk about it. I really have to laugh when people make the leap (which doesn't exist) between tie-in sales and mods to cars. Two totally unrelated animals.

My father gave testimony at the F.C.C. and Congress during hearings about MM and supplied documents that helped the F.C.C. develop model warranties (his company's warranty was used as a "good" example among other things).

Regarding modifications, it's really very simple: if you modify anything in the car, and that modification results in the failure of a component, that component and related items (which could be impacted by the failure) will not be covered by a warranty - even a full warranty. The reason for this is because the owner's action caused the component to fail - as opposed to a defect in manufacturing. This is all covered in the warranty itself - you don't need to read anything else besides that document really.

Quick Reply: does modding void warranty