E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Any One Else's Battery Not Hold a Good Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by balbs
Do you turn the alarm on? I heard that if you don't, the car wouldn't go to "sleep" mode.
yes i have heard that. i always turn the alarm on though.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

I think i still have the orginally from my 06. i charged it twice before after it gave me troubles. Once washing my car with the dors open to detail for about an hour. dead. The other left the marker lights on for bout 6 hours. dead.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

i am highly suspecting i have some dang module acting up. i had a mechanic tell me one time that he has seen my car have tons of electrical problems. that's all he said, not giving any specifics.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

well my car started up after being idle for three days. ha.

i have a question, i used one of those solar battery tenders one time and it didn't do jack. but what i was thinking is that it won't work through the cigarette lighter as i believe i recall it shuts off power to the socket when the car goes to sleep. so do i need to connect the tender directly to the battery then? the solar tender comes with accessory clips to connect directly to the battery terminals. thanks.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

You must remember BMW e60 will take 90 minutes to go to complete sleep mode so hearing noises are quiet normal. In other hand your car should start without a problem after sitting for 5 days. Sometimes I leave for the airport and my car sits for 10 or so days and no problem starting. This is why I always say buy the battery from the dealership and install it yourself due to a hit or miss situation with batteries.

I had multiple issues popping here and there when I used after market batteries with my cars and since I decided to only buy OEM I never had this little nick knack issues with battery power or anything else for that matter!

Best of luck....
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by syrousd
You must remember BMW e60 will take 90 minutes to go to complete sleep mode so hearing noises are quiet normal. In other hand your car should start without a problem after sitting for 5 days. Sometimes I leave for the airport and my car sits for 10 or so days and no problem starting. This is why I always say buy the battery from the dealership and install it yourself due to a hit or miss situation with batteries.

I had multiple issues popping here and there when I used after market batteries with my cars and since I decided to only buy OEM I never had this little nick knack issues with battery power or anything else for that matter!

Best of luck....
do you mean just buy from the dealer or where else?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by donpb
do you mean just buy from the dealer or where else?
I think what Syrousd means is buy an OEM battery from the dealer...aftermarket batteries from Pepboys, NAPA, Autozone etc will also work, and may be a little cheaper...There are a number of threads wrt 'registering' a replacement battery, many have and many have not (of these, some have had error messages or some have not had any issues or errors crop up)!!. I replaced mine myself with an OEM from the dealer and did NOT register it and have had no problems so far...good luck..
Old 10-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Haha, so many replies. You should just go to Pep Boys and have them do a free load test to check your battery. It obviously sounds like a battery issue.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hitesh
I think what Syrousd means is buy an OEM battery from the dealer...aftermarket batteries from Pepboys, NAPA, Autozone etc will also work, and may be a little cheaper...There are a number of threads wrt 'registering' a replacement battery, many have and many have not (of these, some have had error messages or some have not had any issues or errors crop up)!!. I replaced mine myself with an OEM from the dealer and did NOT register it and have had no problems so far...good luck..
well i got mine from Kragen and it has more amps than the OEM one.

the only problem i have been experiencing is that i cannot leave the car idle (undriven) for like five days or so or it will barely start. i had assumed one could leave the car sitting for at least a couple of weeks without issue.

i haven't encountered any weird errors like others have. i've only had the new battery for like a year.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by donpb
well i got mine from Kragen and it has more amps than the OEM one.

...... i've only had the new battery for like a year.
I think that's the problem...Might get some naysayers from this but anyway...From what I understand, you have to tell the car (via programming or registration) that you changed the battery specs. Otherwise, the car still thinks it is charging at a lower amperage. From what I hear, charging any battery too low can shorten the life of a battery.

Seems like a common combination that goes on here (in the forums in general)....aftermarket battery, no registration, shortened battery life...problems.

Quick Reply: Does Any One Else's Battery Not Hold a Good Charge?