E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you use your blinker?
Yes, everytime, everywhere. It's second nature/muscle memory
63.40%
No, never
0.65%
Sometimes
5.23%
Most times. Not when the road is free (no cars)
30.72%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Do you use your blinker?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I absolutely HATE people who change lanes in front of me without signalling....
especially when they only leave 4 meters from their rear to my front.

I take that as a blatant disregard to my personal safety and will flash them
with my high beams as well as stare them down when I get the chance!

Freaking jerks! I just got another one today coming up on the freeway --
and nearly hit me!

A high percentage of them tend to be Toyotas.....

Of course people tend to be a bit scared of 'angry BMWs' with the fierce flashing
lights.. Scared a few....
Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='793839' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:27 AM
I absolutely HATE people who change lanes in front of me without signalling....
especially when they only leave 4 meters from their rear to my front.

I take that as a blatant disregard to my personal safety and will flash them
with my high beams as well as stare them down when I get the chance!

Freaking jerks! I just got another one today coming up on the freeway --
and nearly hit me!

A high percentage of them tend to be Toyotas.....

Of course people tend to be a bit scared of 'angry BMWs' with the fierce flashing
lights.. Scared a few....

hahaaa I got your back, if anything, BigMike!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='793698' date='Feb 16 2009, 07:05 AM
Well, as stereotypical as it may be, BMW drivers (in the UK at least) do have something of a reputation for not using their blinkers (or indicators as they're called over the pond).

This has been posted here before, but it does seem somewhat appropriate to the thread...
This is total BS I think they are just jealous of the people running BMW's

Although I my self only use indicators occasionally when I see that they will tell the drivers around what Im doing usually a 2-3 flashes is all use to indicate my actions on the road. In Russia, Moscow our drivers are mostly un polite and aggressive on the road.

When you obey the law to much you become suspicious to the Russian Cops as they think you might be drunk if you are obeying the law just to much so usually its a good thing to go above the speed limit 10-20Km more.

I know people are going to go at me but this is just the way things are in a 3rd World country we are not in the EU and we are not Americans in our country people rarelly obey the law because if you do you wont get to far be it business, driving just practically anything!...

Edit: Dont take it as an insult although sounds like one
Old 02-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Greenberg' post='793848' date='Feb 16 2009, 04:55 AM

Although I my self only use indicators occasionally when I see that they will tell the drivers around what Im doing usually a 2-3 flashes is all use to indicate my actions on the road. In Russia, Moscow our drivers are mostly un polite and aggressive on the road.

When you obey the law to much you become suspicious to the Russian Cops as they think you might be drunk if you are obeying the law just to much so usually its a good thing to go above the speed limit 10-20Km more.

I know people are going to go at me but this is just the way things are in a 3rd World country we are not in the EU and we are not Americans in our country people rarelly obey the law because if you do you wont get to far be it business, driving just practically anything!...

Edit: Dont take it as an insult although sounds like one
I affirm that to be true. I was born and raised in mother-Russia. I drove at 15 years old on public roads in St Petersburg before I had a license, got picked up (and very speedily released) by Russian cops for no apparent reason.

Honestly, dude, I'm surprised there are even ANY indicator laws in Russia altogether! If you guys wanna see some russian-style driving, search youtube and you shall find - some of that crap scares me just watching it. And trust me, I'm not the type who gets easily scared, when it comes to driving.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='793856' date='Feb 16 2009, 01:25 PM
I affirm that to be true. I was born and raised in mother-Russia. I drove at 15 years old on public roads in St Petersburg before I had a license, got picked up (and very speedily released) by Russian cops for no apparent reason.

Honestly, dude, I'm surprised there are even ANY indicator laws in Russia altogether! If you guys wanna see some russian-style driving, search youtube and you shall find - some of that crap scares me just watching it. And trust me, I'm not the type who gets easily scared, when it comes to driving.
reckless driving in my city is a big problem...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:17 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 monacoblau metallic, steptronic, leatherette beige, xenon, business.

Of course that everybody uses blinkers but, how? Blinking three times in one touch or continuous blinking ?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I use them for the purpose they are intended...to "indicate" my movement/turn. If there are no cars around me, I do not use them...serves no purpose. If there is a car anywhere around, I always use them. If there is a car in my immediate area and I am changing lanes...I will hold my blinker ON until I have completed my lane change...otherwise I use the "3-blink" feature.

Also, I really like side blinkers on cars...this is a long overdue safety feature on our US cars. Back in 1995, it's the reason I waited for a '95 model E34 instead of a '94...the '95 was the first E34 to have the side blinkers.

I tell you what I see a lot of: 1 - of course, like everyone else...people who never use them. 2 - Almost as bad, are people who will turn on the blinker while in the middle of changing lanes. News Flash to those people: If I see your car crossing into the next lane...it's a bit LATE to turn your blinker on.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:47 AM
Contributors

it takes no extra effort whatsoever. i brush the lever with my hand while changing lanes, now with the 3 blinker feature it is even easier. one thing i dislike is that the turn signal indicators are out of my line of sight, i actually have to lean forward to see if my signal is on.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='793893' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:47 AM
one thing i dislike is that the turn signal indicators are out of my line of sight, i actually have to lean forward to see if my signal is on.
+1
Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by Greenberg' post='793848' date='Feb 16 2009, 01:55 AM
Not really, the flaw in your argument is that BMW is actually one of the best selling brands in the UK - the 3 series for example outsells its mainstream competition from Ford. GM and from other mainstream brands. It's a very common car. It's not jealousy that drives the stereotype, it's ubiquity.

Quick Reply: Do you use your blinker?