E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Do you find the Sports Seats comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrum' post='374651' date='Jan 7 2007, 04:23 PM
I miss the memory seats
Comfort seats come with driver and passenger memory and you can store a different driver's seat position on each of the two keys (as well as M1 and M2 on the seats).

ABC
Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 AM
Members

I have to say that I find the "Sports" Seats less than comfortable for the sames reasons as the original post - they dig in to the underside of the thigh towards the front :thumbsdown: . I have never had a car where I have to fiddle with the electric adjustment constantly to try to find a comfortable position. I have tried EVERY adjustment. The problem seems to be that the rear section of the squab seems to form a hole that you sink into, so raising the rear does no good at all - the "hole" is just higher. I may have to resort to the procedure I have had with many new cars over the years - I go to a specilist vehicle trimmer who pads out or removes just where I need it. I have had to do this with Volvo, Mercedes and Audi.

The only recent seats that were almost perfect from the start were Recaros in an A6. I think the problem is that the beancounters rule and we get seats that are a triumph of form over function (i.e. they simply look good). I also think that weight (and cost) reduction rules at the design stage. :thumbsdown:

Incidently, I have yet to find a BMW dealer in the UK who had a car with comfort seats in that I could try - they all say that they never sell them - not surprised if you can't try them. Now, a 535d with recaros - that would be a ride.

When I wanted to try Recaros in an Audi they got me in an S6 specially so I could try the seats for a day - good fun
Old 01-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport

Originally Posted by Heel n' post='375069' date='Jan 8 2007, 01:37 PM
I have to say that I find the "Sports" Seats less than comfortable for the sames reasons as the original post - they dig in to the underside of the thigh towards the front :thumbsdown: . I have never had a car where I have to fiddle with the electric adjustment constantly to try to find a comfortable position. I have tried EVERY adjustment. The problem seems to be that the rear section of the squab seems to form a hole that you sink into, so raising the rear does no good at all - the "hole" is just higher. I may have to resort to the procedure I have had with many new cars over the years - I go to a specilist vehicle trimmer who pads out or removes just where I need it. I have had to do this with Volvo, Mercedes and Audi.

The only recent seats that were almost perfect from the start were Recaros in an A6. I think the problem is that the beancounters rule and we get seats that are a triumph of form over function (i.e. they simply look good). I also think that weight (and cost) reduction rules at the design stage. :thumbsdown:

Incidently, I have yet to find a BMW dealer in the UK who had a car with comfort seats in that I could try - they all say that they never sell them - not surprised if you can't try them. Now, a 535d with recaros - that would be a ride.

When I wanted to try Recaros in an Audi they got me in an S6 specially so I could try the seats for a day - good fun
Ah, its not just me and a unique shaped back! Your description of the "hole" is perfect. It makes the seat colder as it doesn't get warmed up without body contact. Unless you have the heated seats.

I gather you gave up on trying to get a demo of the comfort seats? Think I will invest in a bolster for peace of mind and back, and hope it sorts the problem.

My last ride was an E46 330cd and the seats were fine, the same with 2 x Audi TT's before that. Its annoying because I like everything else about my car - you just can't put a bad sitting position out of your mind on any journey over 15 mins.

Cheers

Red