E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoo, you got Iceman Fired up! No fog lights here. Law is the law. Cops are serious here.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by kigerka' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:21 AM
Cops are serious here.
Me too.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Hey Iceman,

The foglights really help the short range a lot. Granted, they don't do jack for the long range, that's what the high beams are for. and yes, I turned it on and off many times just to see if they made a difference. I felt more secured driving with them on.

In summary:
Could I see the road without foglights? YES
Can I live without foglights? YES
Does the road immediately ahead seems brighter with foglights?YES (at least IMHO)
Do I irritate other drivers? Or seem to have? NO
Do I care about the little extra amperage the foglights comsume?NO
Does the foglight indicator bothers me?NO

Thank you.

Old 09-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:26 AM
Could I see the road without foglights? YES
Can I live without foglights? YES
Does the road immediately ahead seems brighter with foglights?YES (at least IMHO)
Do I irritate other drivers? Or seem to have? NO
Do I care about the little extra amperage the foglights comsume?NO
Does the foglight indicator bothers me?NO
The short range seems brighter... ok... what for ???
And how can you say you haven't irritated other drivers??? Have you asked them all ???
Old 09-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Look Ice,

I have lived on the same neighborhood for over 10 years, and know just about all male driver on my street (wife prohibits occasional flirting with other women; where does she get the idea?? ) Anyways, this subject regarding the use of foglight has come up a few time, but people seems to be OK. The only time that it's not OK is when my neighbor jacked up his truck 8" so his foglights became his highbeam.

Now, like everything else, exceptions do exist. I think, no, I believe (believe is a strong word, but not strong enough), that my fog lights don't bother a soul here in my neighborhood. Granted, I do get pissed off if an idiot were to blind me with his highbeams, but foglights don't bother me that much.

Another fact that confirms my belief stated above is extrapolated by the fact that many, if not most people (BMW drivers) do leave their foglights on. Do I go and count every one of them, No! It just seems to me that way.

So, again, I don't know why it bothers you that much, but here in SoCal, it's not a big deal.

Peace
Old 09-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:48 AM
but here in SoCal, it's not a big deal.
It should be...

And BTW, When I am in SoCal I see maybe one BMW a week having them on. The MOST BMW drivers don't have them on.

but again...

You say you can see better, it lights up the short range better... Well, tell what for??? That you see the rabbits scared look right before you hit him ?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Hey Ice,

I gotta go. Don't want to keep my kid in school waiting for me too long.

To recap, differences in local customs, and taste does not imply ignorance. As you can see from the poll results. I understand that almost no one drives with foglights on in Germany, but look how many, albeit a small sampling, of us do here in the US.

Just get some sleep, and tomorrow everything will chillllllllllllllll
Old 09-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

What really bothers me are the tall vehicles (SUVs, Monster truck wannabees) that loves to tailgate and blind you through the rear view and side mirrors. Fog lights are sometimes called drive lights to better illuminate a wider area ahead. So they really help in driving at night. Unless they are out of adjusment they shouldn't blind oncoming vehicles. Peace out
Old 09-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 3 2004, 02:01 AM
differences in local customs, and taste does not imply ignorance. As you can see from the poll results. I understand that almost no one drives with foglights on in Germany, but look how many, albeit a small sampling, of us do here in the US.
Again...
If you have them on you are going to annoy others, believe it or not. Maybe not all of them, but there are ppl that are annoyed!!!
By having them on because you like it and think it's cool, you are saying you don't care about others out there on the road! That is ignorant!!
The fact that ppl do it doesn't make this valid! Foglights are for fog only! Every misuse is stupid.
It has nothing to do with taste or different laws, nor with cultural differences!
Old 09-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rizbel' date='Sep 3 2004, 02:03 AM
...to better illuminate a wider area ahead. So they really help in driving at night.
Excuse me ???
What ?

They illuminate an area just right in front of your car where you can only see the rabbit getting scared before you hit him...

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?