E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?
In USA and drive with them ON
36.16%
In USA and drive with them OFF
40.96%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them ON
4.43%
In Germany, etc. and drive with them OFF
18.45%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low.[8][9][10] They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.

Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the United Kingdom), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.[11]

The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconception that fog lamps are necessarily selective yellow, while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.[12]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...ting#Fog_lamps
Old 09-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

I didn't read all these threads, but here is my take. Personally, I turn ON my foglights in order to make my car more visible to other cars...when it's foggy or raining. The fog lights don't really help me to see better in fog or otherwise. Also, if others want to use them for "looking cool" purposes...that's fine with me...it's not my thing, but live and let live I say.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 04' 525i in Mystic Blue

OFF!!!

In Australia, Melbourne you get FINED 270$ with them ON when theres NO FOG, regardless of DAY or NIGHT!!
Old 09-29-2008, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='680486' date='Sep 29 2008, 02:52 AM
You watch your mouth... you think you are some tough guy or something? You don't even live in the states but if you did I would like to you see come here and make me "watch my mouth"... I'd kick your ass so fast... then I'd put my fog lights in your eyes all night! Come on... let's see what tough guy comment you got for me and everyone else on here... you know you are a damn loser... go on, hide behind your childish anger and the internet... it's funny to see your tough guy words all over here... just let's everyone know how much of an ass you are.... you can write whatever, I'm not gonna respond to your retarded a$$ anymore....
I have news for you pal:

I am in Germany, but I lived and will live again in the USA where I'm a legal alien who worked and is going to work again for the NFL.

You wanna kick my ass?
OK. Want my adress? Let me know...

I am an ass? And childish?

Very interesting that this is coming from someone that sent me this PM:

Title: FUCK You!!

Ah... yes...
And you reported me?

------------------------------------------------
Report:

this user has been putting down everybody on this thread... please kick him off!!!

------------------------------------------------
Yeah, you're right. I'm going to ban myself.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='680490' date='Sep 29 2008, 02:59 AM
fogs help u see potholes on NYC roads
Not really.

Their light is not going far enough, so when you see them in the fogligt beam it's too late. They are no help at all.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

absolutely no need for that kind of verbal abuse :thumbsdown:

I think we need to restart C's chant...
Old 09-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Angelic0-' post='680623' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:52 AM
use of fog-lamps under normal conditions is prohibited by law here in Iceland...

however, a damp rain... or simply just a little moist... and you're legal again...

i've taken this to court and proven it....
In the EU it's also prohibited by law.

For a good reason!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

In my early twenties, I used to drive around with my fog lights on for the "cool" factor.

After I was pulled over and informed (and fined ) that it's illegal to drive with them on under good visibility conditions citing the various reasons mentioned in this thread, I started noticing preceding and oncoming cars with their foggies on, that the light glare from the road especially on wet roads (which is pretty often here in the Netherlands) was indeed quite annoying and did disturb my night vision. For others this might not be a big deal, but I appreciated the point made by the copper.

Sometimes I see people driving with their rear fog light on on rainy nights - the glare caused makes me wanna

Is it legal then in the US to have them on during any weather condition or is it state dependent?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by andy545' post='680806' date='Sep 29 2008, 03:07 PM
Sometimes I see people driving with their rear fog light on on rainy nights - the glare caused makes me wanna

+1000000000000000000000000000000 !!
Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 550i 2007 M-Kit installed- 367 BHP Sapphire black, comfort seats, comfort access, HUD, Professional Nav, Logic 7.

Originally Posted by saurabh' post='30352' date='Sep 3 2004, 02:50 AM
you know my answer...always ON baby
Off. I prefer to give focus to the angel eyes

Quick Reply: Do you drive with Fog Lights ON or OFF?