E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i have a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes my car is in the shop again for engine malfunction reduced power. this is the third time, the first time they replace the high pressure fuel pump and it fixed the problem for awhile. the second time they couldnt find anything and the message went away for awhile(couple of weeks)now again it has happend and so for ive found out that they are replacing the high pressure fuel pump again.is it time i get a lemon law lawyer? the first time it was in the shop for over three weeks,the second time like week and they gave it back cause they couldnt find anything,and now its been like 4 days and counting.all i want is MY CAR with no problems. i hate paying for a car thats twice as much and get stuck driving a loaner car.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Members

oh yeah i have an 08 535i
Old 06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

have you actually looked or researched the lemon law in your state?

here's a good reference that may help you decide if you want to pursue this...

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

left column has an option to view each state's lemon law statutes...
Old 06-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i Black Sapphire, Sports Package, Premium Package, Anthracite Headliner, VMR 714 20x8.5 wheels, Moonroof, StoneX, Xenons, Heated Seats, Sirius, IPOD/USB, Chrome Valentine One!

Originally Posted by vandal1x' post='607270' date='Jun 21 2008, 02:23 PM
oh yeah i have an 08 535i
Have you talked to the dealer about it?
I have never had to deal with a Lemon Law issue with a vehicle, so all I can say is keep track of what work they are doing on the vehicle and how long it is taking them etc... As well as everything they tell you, such as, "we don't know" or "we finally fixed it" (then it happens again). But it is still best to work with your dealer as well.

Also the laws differ from state to state so you need to know what is considered a lemon based on what state you live in (purchased in).

Since I live in Georgia I googled, and found this site, that gave some insight.
http://www.autolemonlaws.com/georgia/lemonlawfaq.htm

Anyways, good luck!
TR.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have all documents that stated the same issue?
Old 06-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Your dealer warranty and service records will be in BMW's database ...

BUT you should keep a detailed diary - including pictures of warning lights, etc. Cell phone photo's are pretty handy these days - email them to yourself for easy record-keeping.

Date and time-stamp every occurrence and time out of service. As for explanations that are not noted on the BMW service record - write down what you were told, when, and the name of the BMW SA or rep who told you.

If this sounds like the voice of experience - IT IS - fortunately not for a BMW product! The devil is in the details.

These are complicated vehicles - Good luck getting it sorted out.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Chevy 3500 DRW: 7" lift, 35" tires, PPE stage 7, MBRP turbo-back, back-up camera, trac bars, Bilsteins. Pine air freshener.

Typically 3 break-downs all caused by the same problem(you might have a problem with one of 'em, as the dealer reported nothing wrong with it, and you drove it around for a while afterwards), and/or a minimum amount of time the car's in the shop for it. I think California (where I'm at) is 30 days.
A lot of times a manufacturer will be signed up for arbitration, and you have to file a complaint with the BBB, and then you'll have a meeting with a BMW rep. and an arbitrator. Look in your owner's manual. Should have all the info you need about it. I used it on a Land Rover I had.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='607417' date='Jun 21 2008, 08:59 PM
Typically 3 break-downs all caused by the same problem(you might have a problem with one of 'em, as the dealer reported nothing wrong with it, and you drove it around for a while afterwards), and/or a minimum amount of time the car's in the shop for it. I think California (where I'm at) is 30 days.
A lot of times a manufacturer will be signed up for arbitration, and you have to file a complaint with the BBB, and then you'll have a meeting with a BMW rep. and an arbitrator. Look in your owner's manual. Should have all the info you need about it. I used it on a Land Rover I had.
the dealer didnt report nothing wrong,they couldnt find out what was wrong! there was a code that came up saying engine malfunction but it went away and they told me to drive it till it happens again. im going to contact a lemon law lawyer as it wont cost me any money,they only take on cases they can win and charge the dealer for there fees.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

My 535i was "repaired" earlier this month for "engine malfunction, reduced power".

Light came back yesterday and the dealer has told me to bring it back. Disappointing.

My gut feeling: I doubt that its going to be fixed and this is destined to be an ongoing drama.

And now at the risk of getting my rear flamed, I admit that I am very interested in the Merc cls550. I know it does not handle near as well but it might be a change for a couple of years until the F10 comes out.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by juventus' post='607548' date='Jun 22 2008, 03:04 AM
My 535i was "repaired" earlier this month for "engine malfunction, reduced power".

Light came back yesterday and the dealer has told me to bring it back. Disappointing.

My gut feeling: I doubt that its going to be fixed and this is destined to be an ongoing drama.

And now at the risk of getting my rear flamed, I admit that I am very interested in the Merc cls550. I know it does not handle near as well but it might be a change for a couple of years until the F10 comes out.
did they replace the high pressure fuel pump for you? just wondering so i can tell my dealer it might be something else.

Quick Reply: do i have a lemon?