E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ditched the RFT's

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!
Talking

Been following the debate on the RFT's and other options and decided to go for the Goodyear Eagle F1's.

Costs for full set on 124 wheels from mytyres.co.uk

2 x 245/40 (Front) - Unit - ?123.70 - Total = ?247.40
2 x 275/30 (Rear) - Unit - ?150.20 - Total = ?300.40

Total - ?547.80
Fitting - ?38.00

GRAND TOTAL = ?585.80

BMW quoted me ?1100 to replace the Dunlop RFT's and even National Tyres were quoting ?850+ to fit new Goodyear Eagle F1's so I think I got a very good price here. If you know of a better price, post it. I am so grateful to E60.net for a post that directed me to mytres.co.uk. Without this site I would probably have got BMW to replace them at their prices.

I just have to say that just like everyone else I have now experienced the difference, and it is a truly spectacular difference in ride quality. I'm yet to experience the difference in stability, performance etc as I've only driven it home from the tyre change but I just had to let the board know.

I read on a previous post that it's like taking off your shoes and putting on some sneakers (trainers for us UK lot!) and I agree 120%. The ride quality is a 'deeper' level of comfort and my car now feels like what I thought it should have felt like when I first picked it up.

Maybe RFT technology/ride quality will improve in time and I'll switch back, but for now, I'm happy to stay non-RFT.

I still have the original 135's (only 7 miles on them - they were changed to 124's at dealer before delivery) which came with the car so I'll be using one of them as a spare.

I can't stop shaking my head whenever I think of the difference. If, like me, you're considering the switch, do it!! You will not regret it.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomad' post='271568' date='Apr 20 2006, 08:17 AM
I can't stop shaking my head whenever I think of the difference. If, like me, you're considering the switch, do it!! You will not regret it.
Welcome to the club
Old 04-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

could not agree more
Old 04-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i Touring, M Sport, build date 10/05, Silver Grey, Black leather, Maple Anthracite, Anthracite roof lining, panorama roof, M Aerodynamic, M Steering wheel, M Sport suspension, sport seats, shadow line, 135 M wheels, Goodyear NCT 5 runflats, and some other stuff too.

As my RFT's are fairly new I am going to wait until the Michelin ZP's come out in the correct size. I have always been happier with Michelin then any other brand and apparently they are making attempts to address the "hard ride" issue. I am punting that if anyone can do it better it will be Michelin. Wait and see.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 AM
Contributors

I had a chance to ride on non smooth roads and i could tell the complaints about the RF. On smooth roads they are fine and i do 90% of my ride on smooth ride. So i am not sure if i should pull the trigger?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

welcome to the club..... RFT
Old 04-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='271618' date='Apr 20 2006, 12:16 PM
I had a chance to ride on non smooth roads and i could tell the complaints about the RF. On smooth roads they are fine and i do 90% of my ride on smooth ride. So i am not sure if i should pull the trigger?
Very true. But nowadays the roads in London are full of roadwork scars and speed humps so the difference is very noticeable every single time I drive the car. You really feel the difference every single time you hit a flaw in the road. I almost feel upset that I spent nearly 2 years on RFT.

But I would also say that road noise is also considerably reduced. Even a smooth road would show that up. I'm yet to make a long distance trip (I'll be doing 100+ motorway/freeway miles tonight) but I can already tell that it will be a much smoother drive. They're worth serious consideration.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Welcome to the club

Ive pushed my michelin ps2's a bit now and the level of grip is simply astonishing. Much much better than the runflats. For the first time ever i heard the tyres squeel whilst cornering the other day on a roundabout late at night.

With the runflats the traction control would kick in way way before any squeals could be heard as theyd just tend to go 'actually i give up. im not letting you grip anymore' instead of holding on like the normal tyres do.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:46 AM
Members

With so many people unhappy with the ride quality and road noise, has anyone here gotten BMW to replace their Potenza RE050 Run flats? If so what tire did they replace it with, and which 5 series was it on?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

I love my car now it has proper tyres.

Quick Reply: Ditched the RFT's