E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Display multiple POIs on the Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='265111' date='Apr 5 2006, 08:10 PM
What specific data is required? I assume lat/long and POI lable or does it have to comply with some specific convention?
Any standard POI file will do. From a TomTom or some other device. normally the best one is either a .CSV, .ASC or a .OV2
Old 04-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

This is cool. I hope someone has all speed camera info for United States.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the Road Angel database? Is it available?

I have the Road Angel GPS with Scandinavian database, but I don?t know how to get hold of the database.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d - Sapphire black - Nav Pro - PDC - Bluetooth

Sorry, I just think this is a scandal that someone is making money out of that. Please, linux experts, have a look at this thread and try to do it yourself. Better, one guuy could write a soft to modify the initial DVD in order to introduce any POI.

The initial thread is the following : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.p...27&page=1&pp=22

Sorry Bruce, I just think your approach is crap. If all the people of this forum would make money out of their findings about their BMW we would just not be a community.

Maybe you just don't belong here....

Cheers.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by StressFull' post='265368' date='Apr 6 2006, 08:34 AM

Sorry, I just think this is a scandal that someone is making money out of that. Please, linux experts, have a look at this thread and try to do it yourself. Better, one guuy could write a soft to modify the initial DVD in order to introduce any POI.

The initial thread is the following : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.p...27&page=1&pp=22

Sorry Bruce, I just think your approach is crap. If all the people of this forum would make money out of their findings about their BMW we would just not be a community.

Maybe you just don't belong here....

Cheers.
Stressfull, if someone wants to do all the work keeping the database updated then he should receive some money for it imho.
If you want it for free then do it yourself mate, I can understand your frustration, but with that link you posted you can make your own disc, personally though ?50 for the initial work and then a few quid for each update is worth it for me and I really don't mind paying it as I can't be arsed to sit there and do it myself.

What is it that is annoying you, the info is there for you to do it, oryou can buy a ready made one, your choice!
Old 04-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Senior Members

Forgot to say, appropriate username!
Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 AM
Contributors

That is absolutely Fantastic. Great work.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Members

Not sure if I can help fella - but happy to road test it for you
Old 04-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525d - Sapphire black - Nav Pro - PDC - Bluetooth

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='265831' date='Apr 7 2006, 11:23 AM
Stressfull, if someone wants to do all the work keeping the database updated then he should receive some money for it imho.
If you want it for free then do it yourself mate, I can understand your frustration, but with that link you posted you can make your own disc, personally though ?50 for the initial work and then a few quid for each update is worth it for me and I really don't mind paying it as I can't be arsed to sit there and do it myself.

What is it that is annoying you, the info is there for you to do it, oryou can buy a ready made one, your choice!
First, what is annoying me are people making money out of something they have not done by themselves. The databases of radars exists and are maintained without Bruce. Besides, I don't think Bruce is giving any money to the hundreds which are *freely* updating the radar coordinates, nor will he give anything to the guy who wrote the initial post and worked hours to understand what is going on. About what he will give to Navteq, probably we will never know.

Second, I acknowledge some frustration, as I could not make it myself. But I do beleive that helping each other is the spirit of this forum, as I found *freely* a lot of information about my car here by myself.

Third, some people might not be interested in radars in UK, and might want to add... I dunno... their family addresses. In that case, I personnally think that would be just great to do it *freely*.

So if you want to be a lazy guy and pay the full price for something which at the end is just some intellectual right property robbery, than that is your choice. Make sure you ask your expensive lawyer, I think you might be sued for "concealment" (dunno if tis is the right word), and you might regret not to have been arsed to sit there and DIY...

And BTW, when you answer, tell us about your nick, I don't know what it is about.

Cheers mate !
Old 04-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by StressFull' post='266525' date='Apr 8 2006, 11:18 PM
First, what is annoying me are people making money out of something they have not done by themselves. The databases of radars exists and are maintained without Bruce. Besides, I don't think Bruce is giving any money to the hundreds which are *freely* updating the radar coordinates, nor will he give anything to the guy who wrote the initial post and worked hours to understand what is going on. About what he will give to Navteq, probably we will never know.

Second, I acknowledge some frustration, as I could not make it myself. But I do beleive that helping each other is the spirit of this forum, as I found *freely* a lot of information about my car here by myself.

Third, some people might not be interested in radars in UK, and might want to add... I dunno... their family addresses. In that case, I personnally think that would be just great to do it *freely*.

So if you want to be a lazy guy and pay the full price for something which at the end is just some intellectual right property robbery, than that is your choice. Make sure you ask your expensive lawyer, I think you might be sued for "concealment" (dunno if tis is the right word), and you might regret not to have been arsed to sit there and DIY...

And BTW, when you answer, tell us about your nick, I don't know what it is about.

Cheers mate !

But the info is there for you to do it isn't it??

I seriously don't have time to do stuff like this anymore, I used to love doing all this sort of stuff though, and I would sit for hours writing patches and stuff. But these days I sometimes don't mind paying someone else to so the work, and I think that this is a fair price.

My username? really want to know??

My name is Guy and when I was younger everyone used to call me Giz. Then when we got into the party scene at the end of the eighties, start of the nineties and E's were all the rage and mates used to say "gizzE give us an E" and gizze stuck.
I was joking about the nickname, it just seemed stressfull seemed appropriate.

To be honest though if you start knocking people for providing something they will bugger off and not bother, and then where are we??

Quick Reply: Display multiple POIs on the Navigation System