E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Directional Indicator design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

The only problem I have with the turn signal system is that it is too sensitive and turns off much to easily. If there is even a very slight curve to the road as I approach an intersection with my signal on, the slight turn of the wheel is enough to turn off the signal as I straighten the wheel at the intersection, so I'll find myself waiting to make a turn with no signal working. Not a huge deal, just my one gripe about the system.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Originally Posted by KenTO' date='Apr 5 2005, 06:37 PM
I am 5'10" and I have not had any problems.? Most cars are designed today with the hands at the 3 annd 9 position on the steering wheel, with the thumbs hooked in the spokes.? I didn't change my postion to this until I took BMW driver's training.? It may be your hands are blocking out the signals at the 4 and 10 position.?

On the other hand, the car should be designed to accomadate all positions.
[snapback]111451[/snapback]
Not completely true!

A bmw driving instructor learned me that it's better not to take the 10 - 2 position on the steering wheel. The reason for that is that in case of an accident where the airbag is activated parts of you innerarms might get burnt by the "exploding" airbag.
So BMW advises to take the 9 - 3 postion instead because there is less risk for airbag burn injuries.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:52 AM
stu
Members

I quite agree, the indicator lights are impossible to see. Also for those with the slightly smaller sports steering wheel it's impossible to see the top of the speedo and tach. VERY frustrating
Attached Thumbnails Directional Indicator design flaw-cayman_031.jpg  
Old 04-06-2005, 03:05 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I am 6'26'' and can see everything clearly. Signal indicators, all the tachs and the indicator for the rain sensor.
The only thing I can't see is the indiciator for the heated steering wheel, but THAT I can feel...
Old 04-09-2005, 03:56 AM
Members

Hi Forum,

I just got my e60 in the begining of the year. I love bimmers and wow, my last one was the e39. I always saw the turn signal indicators no matter what. I think the position of the indicator lamps on the e60 should be improved. As with the triggers and their position I think it is so far been perfect.

All am wondering is if it is possible to have some chime or sound indicator in the speakers in front to indicate if it is right or left turn accordingly on the right or left speaker in the front. And also the possibility of programmable feature within the iDrive that will enable one to have these settings easily modified by end users. This will create an open system for anyone to personalise.

I sometimes think it is the design of the dash. The projection is too way forward and makes it impossible seeing the turn signal locations. I actually love the complete dash design, but if the extrussion of the main vdu area is slightly modified to allow for ease of visibility of the turn signales... otherwise, it could be centered in the console.

Regards
Old 04-09-2005, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

I agree. I have no problems. Of course I can't see the heated wheel nor can I see the green light in the headlight switch to see if they are on. At night it is quite obvious. I am 6ft tall. I haven't read the manual in over a year, but I think that I may have read that they turn off automatically after 2 minutes of use so that you don't drive for 8700 miles in the left lane with your left turn signal on.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Apr 6 2005, 06:05 AM
I am 6'26'' and can see everything clearly. Signal indicators, all the tachs and the indicator for the rain sensor.
The only thing I can't see is the indiciator for the heated steering wheel, but THAT I can feel...?
[snapback]111816[/snapback]
Old 04-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hi Folks,

Just test drove a 530i w/SMG yesterday. First time to ever try a BMW with SMG. As I'm leaving the dealership for a test drive there was this anxiety that hit me thinking, "I've driven a BMW manual for years now, will I screw up with this SMG thing?". Well, to my surprise, it wasn't the SMG that took some getting used to, but the turn indicators!

I've got my sights on a 550i w/SMG. For now I'll just have to stick with my E36 328i where when you hit the turn indicator up or down it stays there and I know that it's on. But then again, the I learned that the E60 wiper stalk also does the same thing. BIG DIFFERENCE though is that at least you can *SEE* the wipers going! Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the turn indicator issue. I'm 5'7" and in my current driving position I can somewhat see the turn signals -- That is, if my hands are in the 9-3 position.

Man I love the E60! Can't wait to place my order. Great Forum guys!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Jet Black, Auburn Dakota, Sport Package, Logic 7, Red rear reflectors, K&N intake filter

6'1" and have seat as low as possible and seat back upright.
I recently moved my steering wheel up a bit for the same reason and realized that that SW position was actually better for driving.

The turn signal concept is great except when you drive the wife's SUV and you end up not signalling at all !!

Also agree that optional audible noise over speakers would be good idea
Old 04-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributors

come to think of it, i too, have to lean a little bit to see if the blinkers are on. but i do love the 3-blink system; i drove my wife's volvo today and i realized how much i missed the 5's turn signal.

leaning quickly to check does not bother me at all; although i agree that placing it in the middle might be a welcome change.

oh well. efficiency in progress...

daydok
Old 04-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by CoolTones' date='Apr 9 2005, 01:36 PM
But then again, the I learned that the E60 wiper stalk also does the same thing.? BIG DIFFERENCE though is that at least you can *SEE* the wipers going!
[snapback]113385[/snapback]
Huh? What did the wiper stalk do? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Also, you do get used to the turn signals. For me, it's like everything else in the car (iDrive, SMG, Active Steering, etc.) -- it's different -- if you're resitant to change, then you'll have a hard time with the car. If you accept change and allow yourself to adjust, you'll find that these "new" designs end up being better than the old way of doing things. As far as the wheel blocking the green lights, yeah, they could have been placed better.

I will say that if they'd have made the audible clicking louder or through the speakers, there would be people complaining that it's too loud and they'd be calling that a design flaw...

Quick Reply: Directional Indicator design flaw