E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

'Diesel' sounding engine rattle on 545i start-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Can anyone help me out here? My 545i runs, idles and starts smooth, but occasionally I get this rattle/clatter sound from the engine upon start-up, that makes the car sound like some horrid old diesel engine in the Mercedes my mom used to own years back. Upon shut-off I've always had a 'clatter' but I've learned to live with that, but this start-up clatter is really weird. It's not related to cold-starting as it never has happened then. But it'll just happen randomly in the afternoon/evening. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Not normal. Take it in for servicing. I've never had a clatter on start-up nor shut-off.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='439051' date='Jun 23 2007, 08:31 PM
Not normal. Take it in for servicing. I've never had a clatter on start-up nor shut-off.
Yes, your car needs to see the doctor at once!

The sound you discribed may come from the valves.
The engine computer is malfunctioning.

Hope your warranty is OK.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='439051' date='Jun 23 2007, 10:31 AM
I'm going to take it to Long Beach BMW on Tuesday and see what they have to say....I alway have engine 'clatter' when I shut-off the engine but I know this has been noted on the forum of a problem that a lot of 545i owners face. But as for the start-up 'diesel clatter' I'm clueless. The car runs fine and idles fine and mostly starts-up fine but only occasionally I get this start-up clatter.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='439054' date='Jun 23 2007, 10:42 AM
Yes, your car needs to see the doctor at once!

The sound you discribed may come from the valves.
The engine computer is malfunctioning.

Hope your warranty is OK.
Oh crap, don't scare me... I'm hoping it's nothing big. The sound is really hard to replicate as it doesn't happen normally but only occasionally. Otherwise, the car is great.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Okay, I just went back out to the car and did a start/shut-off numerous times and it's fine. I'm only getting the clatter at shut-off.
I have a feeling that my local BMW dealer is just going to tell me that 'there is nothing wrong with it and that everything is normal' since I can't replicate the sound every time.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Didn't mean to scare you superhung, sorry.

But be realistic, if it sounds like an cold diesel it's the valves touching something they shouldn't.
I still say it's the computer that does the engine stearing.

Do not drive the car until you get it fixed.

Does the engine have enough oil?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='439063' date='Jun 23 2007, 10:57 AM
Didn't mean to scare you superhung, sorry.

But be realistic, if it sounds like an cold diesel it's the valves touching something they shouldn't.
I still say it's the computer that does the engine stearing.

Do not drive the car until you get it fixed.

Does the engine have enough oil?
Yeah, you're scaring me

It really doesn't sound THAT bad as my original post may've mislead. It really only happens very rarely and the rattle is not that audible to the point you're like 'what the hell is that?'. I have a sensitive ear when it comes to my own cars so that may be a part of the thing. I flinch at every 'not normal' noise I can hear coming from the car. The rattle can be described more like a quick rattle as if the engine is not tightened down. The car itself is super smooth (start,idle,running) the rest of the time. When I shut-off the car, it's the same thing, but all the time. The car rattles a little.

I checked the engine oil and it is fine.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by superhung' post='439064' date='Jun 23 2007, 11:07 AM
Yeah, you're scaring me

It really doesn't sound THAT bad as my original post may've mislead. It really only happens very rarely and the rattle is not that audible to the point you're like 'what the hell is that?'. I have a sensitive ear when it comes to my own cars so that may be a part of the thing. I flinch at every 'not normal' noise I can hear coming from the car. The rattle can be described more like a quick rattle as if the engine is not tightened down. The car itself is super smooth (start,idle,running) the rest of the time. When I shut-off the car, it's the same thing, but all the time. The car rattles a little.

I checked the engine oil and it is fine.
Yeah you mislead us. I just noticed its a six speed. When you turn off the engine the tranny shakes and knocks against the body. Told it was normal by several dealers.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' post='439067' date='Jun 23 2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah you mislead us. I just noticed its a six speed. When you turn off the engine the tranny shakes and knocks against the body. Told it was normal by several dealers.
That gives me a little peace of mind...The sound is to a point where it doesn't scare me and also considering it happens occasionally. Did the dealer also mention this on engine start-up? I get the rattle on shut-down all the time.. But the 'start-up' rattle only happens once in a while and sounds a little bit different than the rattle when it shuts down.

Quick Reply: 'Diesel' sounding engine rattle on 545i start-up