E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Didn't use premium gas, problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All you ever need is 91 AKI ( Anti-Knocking Index) octane which is HIGHLY recommended as per your car manual. 93 octane and above is a waste.

http://www.imakenews.com/tituswillfo....cfm?x=b11,0,w
In the world of automobiles, it is tempting to associate higher numbers with higher quality. After all, more horsepower and more miles per gallon are a better thing, which feeds into our perception that more impressive octane ratings also equal higher performance. Gasoline companies understand this mentality and do nothing to dissuade drivers from it, labeling 87 octane gas ?Regular,? and 91 or 93 octane ?Super? in an attempt to reinforce this way of thinking. After all, since ?Super? is priced higher than ?Regular,? it?s in their best interest to convince as many people as they can that paying a bit extra means getting better quality gas.

Time and again, people will be told that high octane fuel burns cleaner or more completely, and that it will give them extra power and better fuel mileage than Regular octane gasoline because it contains more ?energy.? These blanket statements are simply not true. In fact, the octane rating for gasoline has nothing to do with the amount of power locked inside of it ? it actually relates to just how much a fuel can be compressed before igniting. The higher the number, the less likely it is to ignite under pressure.

To wrap things up: no, you won?t see a power or fuel efficiency increase by running high octane fuel in an engine that has been tuned and designed for Regular gas, nor will doing so perform any extra ?cleaning? inside the motor.

http://www.carsales.com.au/advice/20...ar-faster-7513
If a higher octane fuel is used what happens? Well, nothing. The engine is already able to perform at its highest efficiency on the recommended fuel. The extra octane rating has no effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
A common misconception is that power output or fuel mileage can be improved by burning higher octane fuel than a particular engine was designed for. The power output of an engine depends in part on the energy density of its fuel, but similar fuels with different octane ratings have similar density. Since switching to a higher octane fuel does not add any more hydrocarbon content or oxygen, the engine cannot produce more power.

First important fact that you must accept:

All gasoline, regardless of its? octane rating, have pretty much the same amount of energy per gallon. What!!! "Sacrilege" you say? Well, actually, some higher-octane fuels have a few LESS percent energy per gallon?so as not to argue over this small point, for the sake of this discussion we will all agree that the automotive gasoline that you buy at the pump, regardless of octane rating, has the same amount of potential energy.

Second important fact that you must accept:

Octane is NOT a measure of power but of the fuels? resistance to ignition from heat. A higher-octane fuel, under identical combustion chamber conditions, will burn slower.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO BENEFIT to using a higher octane than your engine needs. The only benefit is increased profits to the oil companies that have cleverly convinced some of the public that their new "Super-Duper, Premium-High-Test, Clean-Burning, Used-By-Famous-Racing-Types-All-Around-The-World, Extra-Detergent-Laden-Keep-Your-Pipes-Clean, Extra-High-Octane" fuel is your engines? best friend.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Kzang
I can't believe the ignornance in this thread... Higher octane does not equal more power.
Also using lower than recommended octane for our cars ( which by the way is 91, NOT 93, 100, 101 etc. ) will not hurt the engine at all.
So this thread is pretty much pointless.

The way you wrote that infers that a car made to run on premium will make the same power with regular gas which is not true either. Most stock computer controlled engines made to run on premium gas will produce the most power with 91 since this is the most widely available in the states. Using higher octane will usually not result in more power because the motor was not designed and tuned for such octane. Using less octane will not hurt the car but it will not make the same power levels as premium either.

Edit: You clarified it in the next post.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Just to clarify dont know anyone who chooses 93 over 91, its just a matter of where you are in the U.S-west coats typically has 91 and east/midwest and rest of U.S (from my knowledge-obviously have not lived everywhere) has 93 and no 91 choice.

Anyway the more important thing is the "cleaning" package a gas provides for long engine life and some believe in top tier gas and some do not. I believe in consistently good cleaning gas-I like BP or shell and try to be consistent but more an OCD trait than any science. I always use my free tank of grocery gas every 3 months I get from my grocery points! They charge me all that money anyway in order to make it looked as I "saved" on gas so hey
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Members

HEY lucky you didnt pump diesel
Old 09-14-2010, 07:21 AM
Members

Back in the 1990's sunoco in bayridge brooklyn use to have 94 oct.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Back in the 1990's sunoco in bayridge brooklyn use to have 94 oct.
back in 2009 they had it at every sunoco in town. the good ole days