E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

did you check your air filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Given your location Memo, I would have expected a lot more sand, but that probably gets trapped in the filter? Maybe you should be a bit more excited about that hole/cut in the filter.

Now I undrestand why that air induction noise is so pronounced; lots of volume. And if you really want to get scared, think of all that $3+/gallon gasoline that got mixed with all that air!

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 04-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

And you think we have air intake filtration problems? Just saw this (and borrowed it from ) the Leica Camera forum...lol

http://www.leica-camera.com/discus_e.../11/208135.jpg

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 04-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

while opening the air filter box do your really have to unplug the electronics as described here before or you just release those metal clips and simply pop-open the filter???

what is a good aftermarket performance filter??? only K&N???? where to buy? I would be afraid there might be some "fake" K&N's on Ebay......
I want the best one but to be sure I can trust that filter to really "filter" the dirt
Old 04-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='269926' date='Apr 16 2006, 11:16 PM
while opening the air filter box do your really have to unplug the electronics as described here before or you just release those metal clips and simply pop-open the filter???

what is a good aftermarket performance filter??? only K&N???? where to buy? I would be afraid there might be some "fake" K&N's on Ebay......
I want the best one but to be sure I can trust that filter to really "filter" the dirt
Good question, i was going to ask the same thing. How do i open it?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

there is how to open the air filter box.... I have to see the engine myself but I'm still not sure about the electronics unplug? I rememmber looking at my 530i filter wondering why to some more then just releasing those metal plugs???

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...6&hl=air+filter
Old 04-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Contributors

sorry to semi-hijack this thread but after reading this thread i'm not going to go for the K&N filter or any other..... I simply don't trust there is going to be the maximum filtration....

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...9929&hl=K&st=0

must say that after my air filter was exchanged by the dealer on a regular servis visit the car feels better..... so probably a regular cleaning is a must in between those long exhcange periods
Old 04-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Members

still havent found my piece of styrofoam yet....man i must be missing out alot here aint i
Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Members

you don't have to unplug the electronice unless your removing the whole box.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='269893' date='Apr 16 2006, 04:33 PM
Given your location Memo, I would have expected a lot more sand, but that probably gets trapped in the filter? Maybe you should be a bit more excited about that hole/cut in the filter.

Now I undrestand why that air induction noise is so pronounced; lots of volume. And if you really want to get scared, think of all that $3+/gallon gasoline that got mixed with all that air!

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Ray, Watch your spelling.It must be catching.
cheers
vern
Old 04-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Opened up the air filter box this morning to check for debris and found nothing except the filter.
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: did you check your air filter ?