E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Diagnostice Software for E60 Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

ntuner,

great points and well presented.

I have no trouble affording a $90 item and if that holds more value I am all for it.

I don't want to go backwards.

Thank you for the intervention.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:02 PM
New Members

So I have been reading more about the "Adaptive Processes", and it seems that the changes through the software are not permanent or am I mistaken?

It seems that upon effecting a transmission adaptive process the computer will again memorize a driving pattern and then hold that pattern.

So am I correct in assuming therefore that in changing tranny fluid an "adaptive" process would only assist the tranny's memory in learning the fluid type.

Does this have a long-term effect?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I have 2 ICOMs, a few junk OBD cables from my beginning days and a really nice on from Euautohaus which I still use. I use it all the time. Sure I can hook up ISTA and the ICOM and go through all of that BS but it's so much easier to quickly plug in the OBD and fire up INPA, do Encoding with NCS and flashing non-MOST modules. It is A LOT faster than any dealer software, you just have to know you're way around. Working with this stuff for the last 5 years I can tell you that my Cable is much faster. And although the cable has lifetime warranty on it, I've never needed it. I've used thousands of times for 5 hours at a time sometimes and no problems! Wish that could be said by someone on boards prior to me buying several chinese cables which ended up costing me thousand$.
Listen the KCAN and KDCAN cables are fine but I would not recommend just any cable. Like one going for less than $60..no f-ing way. And as far as the older stuff, sometimes I use DIS and Progman, sometimes I use ISTA....I mean it's good to have an ancillaries at all times. Even for F series I use this cable for diagnosis and the ENET for programming and just as NCS I would always use ESYS over ISTA! I can't see how anyone can argue that. I am sure Sean would agree.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by gcalo
So I have been reading more about the "Adaptive Processes", and it seems that the changes through the software are not permanent or am I mistaken?

It seems that upon effecting a transmission adaptive process the computer will again memorize a driving pattern and then hold that pattern.

So am I correct in assuming therefore that in changing tranny fluid an "adaptive" process would only assist the tranny's memory in learning the fluid type.

Does this have a long-term effect?
Brother you do realize you don't need anything to re-adapt tranny or to reset service lights, intervals etc? No, it does not learn fluid type. It learns you driving ratios in terms of acceleration, braking, shifting, etc etc. There are no changes through any adapting you are just erasing or resetting....similar to resetting your trip. And the adaption is similar to an algorithm of fuel consumption. I hope you understand. I'm very tired and just here looking for something I posted a long time ago.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 PM
New Members

Thank you for that great info, AchtungE60.

So where do you get this good cable. I am all for that.
I don't like buying junk. That's why I have had Ferrari's!

Yes I know how to reset service lights.

What I am after is to see what else can be done in the system.

I also was advised in another thread that in changing to Motorcraft Mercon SP ATF that the tranny should be adapted.

So my intention is to gain everything possible from service updates.

Last edited by gcalo; 06-11-2014 at 07:51 PM.