E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A design flaw that is causing rattles on my 06 530i

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Hi gang,

I may have gotten down to the real rattle thats been plaguing the e60's. If one opens the hood, and looks at the black plactic that is tacked on to the windshield, it is the source of creaking.

Have some stand outside and press firmly on this black surround while you are in the cockpit. Hear anything familiar...thats the creekingi have been hearing from the windshield over bumps. Is my car defective...or is this a real issues with other e60's. I am goign to ask the tech at bmw to pad this plastic, and then i will know whether or not this is the issue. Whenever it rains...the car has no creaking. Maybe because the plastic is being softened from the water? I have a feeling, if one were to pad this platic with some sort of felt, we all would have less creaky windshields.

Please everyone, have a look at this, as I think it's the prime reason my e60 creaks over some bumps...its not the windshield, its the installation.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Going into service tomorrow, and was wondering if anyone cold follow up if they have a similiar problem, or maybe the issue is soley with the windshield installation or a loose control arm...
Old 02-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

i will check mine as soon as i get back in town, but there is another source and that is the rocker cover is also plastic and if you press on it you will also here the same creak the exhouds when you first pull off from a stop and the car transfers weight
Old 02-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Members

No creaking in the windshield on mine yet. Crossing fingers
Old 02-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Members

Buddy, drop me a line when you do get in town. I drove with the tech and he heard the noise, and he is trying to solve the problem now at the dealership. It's the 3rd time in, and I pray it will be the last. Really can't figure out what is causing it, but we located where the sound is coming from, and it's def. the fron window area.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have been having the same problem from the front windsheild. Difference is that above 50 degrees f its silent. I also hear it from the back window too and its also silent above 50 degrees f.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jk479' post='233612' date='Feb 2 2006, 02:37 PM
Buddy, drop me a line when you do get in town. I drove with the tech and he heard the noise, and he is trying to solve the problem now at the dealership. It's the 3rd time in, and I pray it will be the last. Really can't figure out what is causing it, but we located where the sound is coming from, and it's def. the fron window area.

I had this issue too... It drove me crazy. While the plastic piece that is against the bottom of the front windshield is an issue, I found that the noise you are talking about can be eliminated by locating the piece of metal that runs from the hood to the roof along both sides of the windshield. Start at the bottom and push down on it fairly hard (it will flex). Repeat this every two inches until you get to the top of the windshield. Repeat on the other side of the windshield.

I think gunk gets in there and makes it squeak. I really feel this is a defect and I intend to talk to my SA about it next time I go in. Regarding the same type of noise in the back... I had the noise too, but I don't have a fix for that one just yet.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by jk479' post='233612' date='Feb 2 2006, 02:37 PM
Okay i checked my car and fortunately i do not have that window surround creak but i do have the constant parcel shelf one and the rocker flex creak that i will address sooner or later
Old 02-03-2006, 03:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by buddy' post='234398
Okay i checked my car and fortunately i do not have that window surround creak but i do have the constant parcel shelf one and the rocker flex creak that i will address sooner or later
[/quote]

If you have the winsheild creak, once you complete the steps I outlined in my previous post go drive the car to see if it is gone.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

Nice to know we all paid for a quality product

Quick Reply: A design flaw that is causing rattles on my 06 530i