E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dent repair PDR

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

During the past six months I?ve managed to collect four dents on my passenger side doors with one being recent and extremely visible and annoying. I?ve came to the conclusion that if I were ever lucky or not so lucky to catch these low life losers I would probably regret getting out of bed that morning? I think my first response would be to confront them and ask ?what the hell are you thinking?? Then I would kindly ask them to hand over some money for the repair. I would think that these sorta people would just simply say to your face ?Yeah right!? So my next action would probably be to place my hands around their neck or even better look them in the their eyes as I take my tire wrench out of the trunk and smack their windshield with it while explaining to them how much fun this is?
So I went to a old colleagues house last night to get these repaired. He?s been doing PDR for at least 15 years and is quite good at what he does. I do have to say there are often interesting conversations. I tried to stay out of his way but at the same time taking pictures and video of how he was doing this. The three small dents he basically pushed out from the back side gaining access to the inner panel through the various drain plugs and down through the window channel. The larger dent was a little more difficult to get to so he used a glue stick a few times which brought it out about 50%. He mentioned this was not very accurate since you are pulling where the stick is glued instead of working out from the high spot on the backside. But the alternative was to drill a hole in the inner door then push out the dent and install a rubber plug. I just couldn?t agree to this at this time and wanted him to try everything non destructive method first!
The dent was very hard to photo but I think you can see it enough to get the just. The light bar that he used really magnifies the dents as well. With the videos you will see a couple where the outer skin is moving, this is from the tool and his work to push it out. In one of the first videos you will see him adding more to the dent. He kinda explains this is sometime necessary to help bring the surface back up to where its supposed to be. At the end, all dents were completely gone with absolutely no evidence of anything ever taken place! I was not able to get a good picture because all I could get was white since the dents are gone. Now I will carry my trusted tire wrench right next to my seat and console!
Dent is a few inches from the bottom and then back in from the rear edge
Dent repair PDR-dent-1.jpg
The light bar really shows the dent
Dent repair PDR-dent-2.jpg
Tools...
Dent repair PDR-tools.jpg
Glues stick applied to dent
Dent repair PDR-dent-3.jpg
Working out dent from one of the drain holes on bottom of door.
Dent repair PDR-dent-4.jpg
light bar shows another dent on rear door.
Dent repair PDR-dent-5.jpg
Ligth bar on same dent but from different view.
Dent repair PDR-dent-6.jpg
Working it out from the window channel
Dent repair PDR-dent-7.jpg
Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Additional Vids
Old 06-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Last one...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

nice... no holes? I don't have no dents in my car. Ebay has a lot of dent repair kits
Old 06-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SD5Series
nice... no holes? I don't have no dents in my car. Ebay has a lot of dent repair kits
No holes at all. I have many years experience with paint and body, but I cannot do this at all! It looks easy, but it's not. And there are so many tricks etc and if you stetch the metal you could be in for lots of trouble.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by tonyb635
No holes at all. I have many years experience with paint and body, but I cannot do this at all! It looks easy, but it's not. And there are so many tricks etc and if you stetch the metal you could be in for lots of trouble.
+1 I have a lot of body experience but this is something I would never attempt. I personally wait it out until I have several places which justify paint. Then i repair and paint. Great job though!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
+1 I have a lot of body experience but this is something I would never attempt. I personally wait it out until I have several places which justify paint. Then i repair and paint. Great job though!
Oh I know what you mean, but this is so much better than having to repair and paint. Two panels, four dents $60.00, not bad. I used him many times over the years and thought this would be something I would love to have the talent for. Just need a car I can practice on... Ha!
Old 06-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Nice job. I had a MB which was in a hail storm with dents on hood, roof, trunk and fenders; over 100 of them. They were all removed by the owner of DR. Dent in the Toronto area. Magnificent work. Fascinating to see the metal look like water as 'waves' move across the surface from below.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Cool post. I too have watched the PDR wizards at work, and it really is an art form.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Nice job. I had a MB which was in a hail storm with dents on hood, roof, trunk and fenders; over 100 of them. They were all removed by the owner of DR. Dent in the Toronto area. Magnificent work. Fascinating to see the metal look like water as 'waves' move across the surface from below.
It sure is. He has been very busy with recent hail damaged cars. He was telling me that he know several guys that chase storms and then get the work at the dealers and are becoming quite wealthy...