E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to keep run-flats on new car

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my new 545i sport arrives next week, I have opted to retain whatever run- flat tires BMW shipped the car with. Though I really dislike the firm ride of my current cars run-flat Dunlops, the dealer cost of switching is not worth doing it. They want a flat 25% charge to start, the difference in the cost of the tires between the run-flats and the Michelin PS2 non run-flats I wanted, the cost of mounting and balancing (at the rate per hour at BMW that adds up) and taking the responsibility that when they remove the run flats, if the bead is broken or the tire is damaged in anyway, that you are responsible for the cost of the tire (BMW advises they are very difficult to remove from wheel with out damaging). With a little bad luck, the whole deal can possibly add up to over $1,000. Don't think it is worth it. Maybe I will luck-out and get Bridgestone or Pirelli Run-flats which might be better riding. Car is about an April 1, 2005 build date, or there about, so who knows what brand of tires it will arrive with. Ship arrives in N.Y. port next Monday, so not long till delivery now. I guess I will just keep the tire pressure toward the low side of the chart on the run-flats, and if they wear a bit faster so-be-it, at least the ride will be bearable.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='Apr 21 2005, 07:00 PM
When my new 545i sport arrives next week, I have opted to retain whatever run- flat tires BMW shipped the car with. Though I really dislike the firm ride of my current cars run-flat Dunlops, the dealer cost of switching is not worth doing it. They want a flat 25% charge to start, the difference in the cost of the tires between the run-flats and the Michelin PS2 non run-flats I wanted, the cost of mounting and balancing (at the rate per hour at BMW that adds up) and taking the responsibility that when they remove the run flats, if the bead is broken or the tire is damaged in anyway, that you are responsible for the cost of the tire (BMW advises they are very difficult to remove from wheel with out damaging). With a little bad luck, the whole deal can possibly add up to over $1,000. Don't think it is worth it. Maybe I will luck-out and get Bridgestone or Pirelli Run-flats which might be better riding. Car is about an April 1, 2005 build date, or there about, so who knows what brand of tires it will arrive with. Ship arrives in N.Y. port next Monday, so not long till delivery now. I guess I will just keep the tire pressure toward the low side of the chart on the run-flats, and if they wear a bit faster so-be-it, at least the ride will be bearable.
[snapback]118345[/snapback]
I sold my runflats with about 700 miles on them (European Delivery) for $400. I would imagine you would get more for a 'new' set.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

I think the ride quality on the 545 sport is great with RF. Now, once they wear down, they may get noisy as some have said. If that is the case, I will have BMW replace them under warranty. If you really want non RF, you are probably best off removing them at a tire store and Ebaying them and buying new tires from tire rack.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering

You'll probably get less than 25k miles out of the tires, so stick with what you get and buy what you want later. I expect delivery in early June, but am hopeful for Bridgestones (they look good too). I had Bridgestones on my 2004 530i, my truck and Maxima. They wear and ride good.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

Originally Posted by Kevin' date='Apr 22 2005, 02:20 AM
You'll probably get less than 25k miles out of the tires, so stick with what you get and buy what you want later.? I expect delivery in early June, but am hopeful for Bridgestones (they look good too).? I had Bridgestones on my 2004 530i, my truck and Maxima.? They wear and ride good.
[snapback]118387[/snapback]
Sensible approach!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:00 AM
Members

april first? really? heh...