E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

dealer wants to install 2nd new battery in 1 year!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

You may as well take advantage of the larger battery but I feel the dealership is putting a bandaid on the problem. A larger capacity battery will just take longer to fail.
My 08 535i had severe battery problems two years ago. The dealer eventually found the problem(s) over a three week period and three separate visits. The three problems were the main Comfort Access module (not the door handles themselves), the electronic gear shifter and lastly a previously unknown "Boomerang" alarm system that was constantly causing the car to wake up when it tried to 'phone home'. With all three items replaced one at a time the car got better and better and hasn't had a problem for two years. Dealership was Parview BMW in Toronto.
BTW, I also drive short distances, mostly city and only about 3-4 days a week. I own a charger but haven't had to use it. I assume you are under warranty so have the dealer continue searching for the cause. It is fixable.
Best of Luck.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Members

Our cars seem to be very sensitive for almost broken, but still functioning parts that wake the car and drain battery. Mine had similar discharge issues I even got messages that the active cruise control was broken and sensors needed to be replaced. Weirdly enough it was only the switch of the trunk window that kept the car awake. After a thorough search and disconnecting typical switches and units the fault was easily found in my case.

All very common known issues, it may be hard for your dealer to find the source, but it sounds weird to me that your dealer can't find the source of the discharge and trys to solve this with a larger battery. Doesn't it?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
You may as well take advantage of the larger battery but I feel the dealership is putting a bandaid on the problem. A larger capacity battery will just take longer to fail.
My 08 535i had severe battery problems two years ago. The dealer eventually found the problem(s) over a three week period and three separate visits. The three problems were the main Comfort Access module (not the door handles themselves), the electronic gear shifter and lastly a previously unknown "Boomerang" alarm system that was constantly causing the car to wake up when it tried to 'phone home'. With all three items replaced one at a time the car got better and better and hasn't had a problem for two years. Dealership was Parview BMW in Toronto.
BTW, I also drive short distances, mostly city and only about 3-4 days a week. I own a charger but haven't had to use it. I assume you are under warranty so have the dealer continue searching for the cause. It is fixable.
Best of Luck.
I mentioned the 3 items that caused your problems and the dealer told me he did not think any of them applied to my car,but noted them and said they would check them out if I continue to have problems.They happliy noted that I have "lots of warranty left" They also told me that the Boomerang system is popular with cars sold in Quebec and not common in Ontario,although clearly used in Toronto.
Thanks for the good info.
Jeff