E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dealer sold me a 530i that has been in an accident :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastkevin' post='598190' date='Jun 8 2008, 01:10 AM
Here in California, it's mandated that all the used vehicles sold be dealer be "Safety'd". This means that all lights must be in working order, and brakes/tires must be within spec. A defective headlight would be the responsibility of the selling dealer. Might wanna check the laws of the state you purchased it in, in regards to what the dealer is responsible for there.
In regards to the vehicle having repaired body damage.. I've never heard of a state that requires it's dealers to disclose this on their used vehicles. Salvage, lemon-law buyback, prior taxi, police, yeah. I hear even prior rentals now, but not a vehicle that's simply had some body damage repaired.
If you bought it on e-bay, you can always leave feedback detailing what you've found on the vehicle. Might help someone else down the road.
Good luck with it.
I think this is a very good point to look into your state laws on this (usually just a quick call to your DMV they can tell you the laws on this). I know Wisconsin has something similar to this.

At least the dealer is running the software update. This is a good thing even if it doesn't fix the headlight. Personally I think there is a good chance the software update will fix this issue.

Keep us updated and congrats on the new car.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must try another dealer. Dealers dont keep a log of where you took before as long as the case is closed. Sometimes other dealers might not notice this issue and end up fixing it for you. Do give a try.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='598301' date='Jun 8 2008, 09:47 AM
You must try another dealer. Dealers dont keep a log of where you took before as long as the case is closed. Sometimes other dealers might not notice this issue and end up fixing it for you. Do give a try.
Fight fraud with more fraud?
Old 06-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by doclionel' post='598098' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:46 PM
The SA said that the headlight is not responding to the adaptive controls which is why it is stuck pointing to the right. He said the bodyshop who did the work did not install the headlight properly (wiring, alignment, programming etc..). He said he is 75% sure that the software update would fix it. I called them around closing time on Friday and the car was still hooked up to the computer. He said that since this car has plenty of options, it takes a while for the software to update. So he said he should have it ready by Monday. If the software update doesnt fix the problem, the repair would have to be "customer pay". According to him, since it was not repaired by an authorized BMW body shop, it is not covered under warranty. I am not sure how they would know if it was not repaired by BMW. I'm assuming it shows up in their system if it was.

I'll post updates on Monday or Tuesday.

Regards,
Doc
Software update fixed the problem. But when shining the head lights on a wall about 10 feet away, it looks as if the right beam is slightly higher than the left. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the help.
Doc
Old 06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by doclionel' post='600959' date='Jun 12 2008, 12:32 AM
Software update fixed the problem. But when shining the head lights on a wall about 10 feet away, it looks as if the right beam is slightly higher than the left. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the help.
Doc
Glad you got it fixed and yes that is normal.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by doclionel' post='600959' date='Jun 12 2008, 01:32 AM

Thanks for all the help.
Doc
There is a recent thread on how to align the head lights. Use the search bar on the right hand corner or look at our moderators RUDY's post, I believe he was one of the original members posting this fix.

Rick.....
Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='601132' date='Jun 12 2008, 09:45 AM
There is a recent thread on how to align the head lights. Use the search bar on the right hand corner or look at our moderators RUDY's post, I believe he was one of the original members posting this fix.
This one is pretty technical, but I've found them all to be that way. It's one of the best I found.

Headlight_Aim_Instruction.pdf
For the easiest method of all: Find someone else with an E60 with perfectly aimed headlights. Have them pull up at an arbitrary distance to a flat wall and mark the area of that car's 4 tires on the ground. Then with the headlights on, mark the main pattern of the headlights on the wall with tape, pencil, marker or whatever.

Then pull your car into the exact same spot as the other and adjust the 2 inner screws on your headlight unit for UP and DOWN. The outer screws are for IN and OUT. Adjust the pattern of your headlights to line up where your marks on the wall are, and you are all set!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='601725' date='Jun 12 2008, 11:43 PM
This one is pretty technical, but I've found them all to be that way. It's one of the best I found.

Attachment 52386
For the easiest method of all: Find someone else with an E60 with perfectly aimed headlights. Have them pull up at an arbitrary distance to a flat wall and mark the area of that car's 4 tires on the ground. Then with the headlights on, mark the main pattern of the headlights on the wall with tape, pencil, marker or whatever.

Then pull your car into the exact same spot as the other and adjust the 2 inner screws on your headlight unit for UP and DOWN. The outer screws are for IN and OUT. Adjust the pattern of your headlights to line up where your marks on the wall are, and you are all set!
Thanks for the info Doc...I'm assuming our cars are the US DOT VOL variety right?

Doc