E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dead spots on E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

In the past I have added a small convex mirror (approx 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter) to the mirrors of my cars. They're self adhesive and cure the blind spot issue. You can pick them up at any auto parts store for a couple of bucks. I simply haven't gotten around to it yet on the 550.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by JDN' post='284830' date='May 19 2006, 11:47 AM
Great instructions, Stranger. I've had mine adjusted that way for the past ten years and feel almost naked when the dealer services and returns with the mirrors set back in instead of out. With the right amount of overlap with the inside rear view mirror, you have a panoramic view of what is behind you as well as along side. No more rubbernecking in the wrong direction when you are traveling 70 mph to see if it's safe to change lanes. Also gives you a wider field at traffic lights to watch for potential carjackers coming up. Incidentally, rear PDC helps with that regard, too.
I agree totally. Once you get used to it, this gives you much more control and confidence in driving. It is mostly just safer; but it is also true that it lets you drive aggressively with confidence....

To get used to it, watch as others pass you (surely this happens sometimes ), or you pass them, and pay attention as the car moves from the side mirror to the rearview mirror. There will be a little overlap, so it is in both for just a little bit. When they pass you, they go from rearview to side mirror, and by the time you can't see them in the mirror, you can see their nose in your peripheral vision. Get accustomed to it in normal driving, and pretty soon you will love it.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Great advice, the only annoying part is when you have to reverse, sometimes you might forget to tilt your head to see the corner of the car and bam. I see very little of my car but i sure see something, like i mentioned the door handels in the extreme left and right bottom corners of drivers and left mirrors...will try that and i'll let you know.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributors

I have been setting my mirrors in the manner Stranger listed to the extreme. I lean my head on the window then my head in the middle of the car - and don't show any side of my car in the mirror. I found that once I learned to trust the mirror picture, I felt safer and more aware. There is honestly no blind spot with this set up.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' post='284929' date='May 19 2006, 03:06 PM
I have been setting my mirrors in the manner Stranger listed to the extreme. I lean my head on the window then my head in the middle of the car - and don't show any side of my car in the mirror. I found that once I learned to trust the mirror picture, I felt safer and more aware. There is honestly no blind spot with this set up.
All cars have blind spots. If you don't know how to adjust your mirrors to cover blind spot, get off the road or go back to Driving School 101. No one in particular, but unless the car is not your regular driving car, e.g., rental, borrowed, etc., you should not have blind spot if you adjust your mirrors correctly. That's coming from a guy that looks out of one eye.

I never turn my head when switching lanes. I just look at the available mirrors. If your mirrors don't cover the blind spots, get one of those convex mirror and glue it to your left/right mirror. If you want to go to extremes, get that band of interior mirrors thing.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

You are not at fault. This car, owing to it's "chopped" sidelights (not as pronounced as Chrysler 300) has terrible rearward vision. I hasten to add that if you are tall, with your driver seat back, you will have to look around the "B" pillar when you physically check beside you (pulling out or passing on multi-lane expressway). And eyeglasses compound the situation. Even though I have my mirrors adjusted carefully, as above, I NEVER trust them pulling out to pass. Just as is taught in motorcycling, TURN YOUR HEAD and LOOK. There is no substitute.

Even with the mirrors adjusted properly, you can't see through rear headrests, pillars, and other body design obstructions. Chris Bangle didn't manage this aspect very well...at least for someone who cut his teeth in the "greenhouse" 2002 body, right up through the E39.

LOOK!

Ray Hull
Old 05-19-2006, 11:04 PM
Contributors

Here's how I set mine - when you're in the middle lane of traffic at a red light adjust your mirrors to see the cars in your blind spot - this is the car you can't see in your rear view, or immeadiately out your window. This works great because you also get the correct mirror level as well (not too high or low). Teak it from light to light until its perfect.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Originally Posted by Westcoast 550' post='285163' date='May 20 2006, 12:04 AM
Here's how I set mine - when you're in the middle lane of traffic at a red light adjust your mirrors to see the cars in your blind spot - this is the car you can't see in your rear view, or immeadiately out your window. This works great because you also get the correct mirror level as well (not too high or low). Teak it from light to light until its perfect.
I do pretty much the same thing. I don't have any dead spots.. I set my side mirriors pretty much all the way out. As Westcoast550 said i just sit at a light and adjust my mirriors to make sure i can see the blind spots.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

After driving two convertibles where there are HUGE blind spots both with the soft top and the hard top I have grown accustomed to turning my head to check.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:09 AM
JDN
Contributors

I had two convertibles, too, Jeff, and agree that with top up, there are huge blind spots. OTOH, remember when you are looking behind you on the freeways, you are looking in the wrong direction. Just think of how many feet the car is traveling forward while you are preoccupied studying what is in the other lane. For your welfare, I sincerely recommend that you consider setting the mirrors as Stranger suggested.

Quick Reply: Dead spots on E60