E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dead spots on E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the last days i got alot of suprises and damn i was close to making smth stupid. I learned myself to check the mirros very often, like every 5 seconds or so throw a look into them, but in the last few days i got a bit unfortunate that everytime i wanted to move to the other lane or change the direction i checked my rear view mirror (happened both on the right and on the left) and nothing there...welll then signal the move and right about when i wanted to start the manouver, moving the car a bit to the other lane but not exiting mine ...baaf the car appers from nowhere in the mirror. The thing is i was watching exactly that mirror and nothing was there in the 1st place. So i found that there are quite a few blind spots where if you are caught unprepared then it might get nasty. I have both side mirrors adjusted properly (i think) like the left one is tilted so that i can see the rear door opener on the bottom right corner of the mirror, and on the right one the same but in the left bottom corner on the mirror.
Just wanted to know if you experienced stuff like that...and to worn you a bit.
Anyway the thing is i wouldn't have started the topic if it would have happened consistently, but in the last year and untill now no problems like that and no, woooohoww a few consecutive ones.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

If you check your mirrors that often, you should realise where every car around you is. Of course there's blind spots on cars so that's why they teach you to turn your head to check your blind spot before a lane change. At least that's what they preach in America.

Also when I went to BMW driving course, they teach you to adjust your side mirror so they cover the space you rearview can't. Don't look at your fenders, it will always be there I m sure.

But apparently this method works only in U.S. or Canada where you don't have tight parking space, in HK I need those mirrors looking at my doors everytime I park in order not to take out somebody's front.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

You can arrange you rear and both side mirrors in such a way that there is no blind spot. But you need to get used to this type of setting. It might be a bit uncomfortable for you in the beginning.

1. Sit as you would normally, adjust the rear view mirror.
2. Tilt your head towards the dirver's window (or rest against it). Adjust your driver side mirror till you see just a bit of the car body.
3. Tilt your head towards the centre of the car; do the same for the other side mirror.

Now if you go back to your normal sitting postion, you will notice the image at the edges of the rear view mirror sort of "join" with the images at the edges of the side mirrors.

I actually find that slightly uncomfortable so I modify that slightly so that the images on the edges of each mirror sligtly overlap with the images on the edges of the "adjacent" mirror (e.g. inner edge of driver side mirror and driver side's edge of rear view)
Old 05-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I have also experienced that the right hand mirrow do not show everyting.

It leaves a blind spot.

It have given me hartbeats a couple of times.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='284631' date='May 19 2006, 02:16 AM
You can arrange you rear and both side mirrors in such a way that there is no blind spot. But you need to get used to this type of setting. It might be a bit uncomfortable for you in the beginning.

1. Sit as you would normally, adjust the rear view mirror.
2. Tilt your head towards the dirver's window (or rest against it). Adjust your driver side mirror till you see just a bit of the car body.
3. Tilt your head towards the centre of the car; do the same for the other side mirror.

Now if you go back to your normal sitting postion, you will notice the image at the edges of the rear view mirror sort of "join" with the images at the edges of the side mirrors.

I actually find that slightly uncomfortable so I modify that slightly so that the images on the edges of each mirror sligtly overlap with the images on the edges of the "adjacent" mirror (e.g. inner edge of driver side mirror and driver side's edge of rear view)

Yup I was just going to say. IF anyone has gone to the BMW M5 Driving Experience in South Carolina the instructors teach you to adjust your mirrors like this. I myself have been using this for quite a while.

BUT I do not set it at such an extream as what Stranger says. I do not rest my head on the side window and adjust it where I can see the body of the car. I compromise in between that.

So sitting normally facting the middle of the steering wheel. Move your body / tilt your body between 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to the drivers side window and adjust your mirrors till you can see a little bit of the car. (* Basically adjust your mirrors as you normally would, but instead now you are sitting with your head moved twards the window *)

Now Move your head to the passenger side where your ear is like in line with the middle of the rear view mirror (* the little red clown nose *) and adjust again.

Now when you sit normally in your seat you should not be able to see the sides of your car. But you should see your blind spot.

When you do need to see the body of the car say for reversing out the driveway or into a parking space just move your body to the left or right and you'll see the body of the car. Simple.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Stranger' post='284631' date='May 19 2006, 02:16 AM
My brother showed me that techique to avoid blindspots, but like you said it is uncomfortable. The images coming from the side mirrors are moving fast. Too much of a distraction. I went back to the normal side mirror positions and my customary looking over the shoulder when changing lanes.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jiio' post='284814' date='May 19 2006, 07:21 PM
... my customary looking over the shoulder when changing lanes.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='284765' date='May 19 2006, 09:29 AM
I have also experienced that the right hand mirrow do not show everyting.

It leaves a blind spot.

It have given me hartbeats a couple of times.
Yeap. Still not used to the blindspots. Almost bumped a car today. :'( I'll try the adjustment mentioned in this tread.

CVT Benhogan
Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
JDN
Contributors

Great instructions, Stranger. I've had mine adjusted that way for the past ten years and feel almost naked when the dealer services and returns with the mirrors set back in instead of out. With the right amount of overlap with the inside rear view mirror, you have a panoramic view of what is behind you as well as along side. No more rubbernecking in the wrong direction when you are traveling 70 mph to see if it's safe to change lanes. Also gives you a wider field at traffic lights to watch for potential carjackers coming up. Incidentally, rear PDC helps with that regard, too.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Contributors

I have the right side mirrow adjusted so that I just see the side of the car (also good for parking).

The inside mirrow with the overlap to the right do not give me the vision that I need in city traffic.

Still using my head for line changing...

Quick Reply: Dead spots on E60