E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Daytime Running lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

i like to put the lights to "A" mode but when i switch on the car at night it comes on before i start the car and i feel i am going to burn out a bulb , but its all in my head.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='316999' date='Jul 30 2006, 04:13 PM
i like to put the lights to "A" mode but when i switch on the car at night it comes on before i start the car and i feel i am going to burn out a bulb , but its all in my head.
Yup, it's in your head -- don't worry about it, just switch it to "A" and forget about it...
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525iA 2007 white, beige interior, buisness navigation, buisness phone, Xenon lights, Auto adaptive lights, CD changer

I tried yesterday, putting the light counter to "A" position (I have adaptive lights option), and it's turn on the all lights. even I check the DLR or uncheck it, nothing happens.

please advice me, I'm getting confused how to use DLR
Old 07-31-2006, 03:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by albloushi' post='317186' date='Jul 31 2006, 11:19 AM
I tried yesterday, putting the light counter to "A" position (I have adaptive lights option), and it's turn on the all lights. even I check the DLR or uncheck it, nothing happens.

please advice me, I'm getting confused how to use DLR
Are you in a dark environment? (Garage / in the shade)? If so, having lights in the "A" position will switch on the main bulb. Basically the settings are as follows:

1) DRL on, lights on "A": in daytime, independent of environment light, lights are on whenever the engine is running/key in pos 2 (I suspect, but I don't know, that the lights that are actually switched for DRL on depend on your country spec - low intensity in the US, main lights on low beam for Europe). At night or in relatively dark places, you get adaptive ("steering") lights turning on automatically and if your setup is DRL = side lights, you will get the main lights switching on/off.

2) DLR off, lights on "A": lights (main) will turn on and off automatically when environmental light falls below a threshold (the dealer can set this) - but by definition NOT when there is good daylight.

3) DRL on, lights on any other position: as per case 1 above, except that main lights will not switch on/off automatically and will not follow the steering angle of the car

4) DRL off, Light switch on any other position: as indicated by the light switch

If you were getting the main lights coming on with DRL off and while being in the sun/normal daylight, then there is something wrong.

HTH

D
Old 08-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Silver Gray Metalic, Black Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Automatic, Xenon Headlights, Glass Moonroof, Dark Wood Trim, Lumbar Support, Adaptive Light Control, Navigation System, Satellite Radio Prep.

I have a 2005 530i built in Dec 2004 with adaptive xenon head lights. My current iDrive software version does not allow me to select the DRL option, but I'm considering asking the dealer to set them on. I realize this means that they will be on whenever the headlights are off. I assume that the DRLs are the same lights which function now as passing lights.

How will the descriptions below be changed? Will I be able to run the fog lights during daylight hours, etc.

The headlight lights on my 2005 530i currently work as follows:

1.) Auto (in garage) or On switch position: Headlights on, passing halo on, eyebrow marker on.

2.) Auto (in garage) or On switch position & fog switch toggled on: Same as 1 with fog lights on.

3.) Auto (in garage) or On switch position, signal lever toggled forward: Headlights high beam on, passing halo on, eyebrow marker on, fog lights disabled.

4.) Park switch position: Headlight halo on, passing halo on, eyebrow marker on, high beam lights disabled.

5.) Park switch position & fog switch toggled on: Same as 4 with fog lights on.

6.) Auto (in garage) or On switch position & signal lever toggled back: Headlights on, passing lights on, eyebrow marker on. High beam and fog lights disabled. Passing lights time delay off to passing halo on.

7.) Park switch position & signal level toggled back: Headlight halo on, passing lights on, eyebrow marker on, highbeam disabled. High beam and fog lights disabled. Passing lights time delay off to passing halo on.