E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Daytime driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:58 AM
ice
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Norway where you are obligated to drive with the lights on during daytime. All new cars sold in Norway are equipped with daytime driving lights. It means that your low-beam headlights will come on when you start the car.

I have recently imported a 2005 BMW 525i from Germany. This car doesn't have this function and you have to remember to turn on your lights everytime you drive. I have heard that there is a function called 'Daytime running light' in iDrive. It's should be under Vehicle settings/Light/. But the only option I can find there is 'Triple turn signal activation'.

I hope someone can help me with this problem.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by ice' post='262020' date='Mar 29 2006, 10:58 AM
I live in Norway where you are obligated to drive with the lights on during daytime. All new cars sold in Norway are equipped with daytime driving lights. It means that your low-beam headlights will come on when you start the car.

I have recently imported a 2005 BMW 525i from Germany. This car doesn't have this function and you have to remember to turn on your lights everytime you drive. I have heard that there is a function called 'Daytime running light' in iDrive. It's should be under Vehicle settings/Light/. But the only option I can find there is 'Triple turn signal activation'.

I hope someone can help me with this problem.
Do a search for this topic, as it's been discussed before. If I recall correctly, European E60's had the ability through I-drive to turn on/off the DRLs, but you may need to have your CIP version updated. Here in the states it's an option that only the dealer can enable/disable....hope that helps.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

could you leave your headlights in auto position and cover the photocell with a small black sticky disk
Old 03-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by ice' post='262020' date='Mar 29 2006, 01:58 PM

the same problem here..... it is due to a old CIP version..... we need to get update man
I do not have this option in my Idrive either

get a new CIP loeaded at the dealer and the option should right there where you were looking for it
Old 03-29-2006, 10:27 AM
ice
Members

Originally Posted by tonye60' post='262026' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:02 PM
could you leave your headlights in auto position and cover the photocell with a small black sticky disk
I don't understand. If you have your low-beam lights on and you turn off the engine, the parking lights will still be on. So you have to manually turn the lights off with the switch.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
ice
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='262045' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:27 PM
the same problem here..... it is due to a old CIP version..... we need to get update man
I do not have this option in my Idrive either

get a new CIP loeaded at the dealer and the option should right there where you were looking for it
Thanks for your reply. Do the dealer charge a lot for this upgrade? Do they normally upgrade the CIP when you give your car in for normal maintenance?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by ice' post='262048' date='Mar 29 2006, 02:27 PM
I don't understand. If you have your low-beam lights on and you turn off the engine, the parking lights will still be on. So you have to manually turn the lights off with the switch.
nooo, he means that all E60s have a sensor for the light to turn on while dark outside.... this is activated by turning your headlight switch knob to the left position - little green light will light up on that knob....

the sensor is located in your rear view......so he meant to cover that sensor so the car thinks it is dar outside therefore turns the lights on......

of course by turning off the engine will shut off the lights as well
Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ice' post='262052' date='Mar 29 2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks for your reply. Do the dealer charge a lot for this upgrade? Do they normally upgrade the CIP when you give your car in for normal maintenance?
they do not update unless told to do - you have to pay something or while there is some problem.....this way they will update for free.... so what we smart E60.net members do is that we say that we have a problem with the navigation or that the RDS does not work properly and the dealer will upload for free
just make some problem up which is computer related so you do not have to show it to the dealer, he just hast to believe it.... if you have a phone or bluetooth that is the best.... say there is a problem there....
Old 03-29-2006, 10:36 AM
ice
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='262058' date='Mar 29 2006, 09:33 PM
they do not update unless told to do - you have to pay something or while there is some problem.....this way they will update for free.... so what we smart E60.net members do is that we say that we have a problem with the navigation or that the RDS does not work properly and the dealer will upload for free
just make some problem up which is computer related so you do not have to show it to the dealer, he just hast to believe it.... if you have a phone or bluetooth that is the best.... say there is a problem there....
Thanks a lot!!
Old 03-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

ice:

In Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland, the daytime running lights is lowbeams 24-7.

The checkbox in Idrive will not be enabled when you bring the car in for a CIP update in Norway, Sweden, Denmark or Finland, because it's mandatory!

The "A" mode to the left as Peter said, is not working the same way here in Denmark and Sweden as it is in Germany.. If you select A-mode to the left now your headlights will use the light sensor and turn them on when it's getting dark. If I on my Swedish/Danish sold car set the switch in position A or "lowbeams ON" They will be on when the engine is running... So I can't use the lightsensor to a damn thing

You will need to tell you dealer to activate the lights when you bring it in for serice! It dosen't cost more than 150-300 NOK...

I actually turn on the headlights manually every time I drive the car... At daytime = Angeleyes with foglights and at night = xenon

Quick Reply: Daytime driving lights