E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

data transmission fault

Old 04-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was just flipping through the service requirements and stuff like that in the idrive and i noticed today i got a data transmission fault it says on my idrive screen. has anyone had this show up before? if so whats up with it? cuz it seems to drive just fine.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dixon
i was just flipping through the service requirements and stuff like that in the idrive and i noticed today i got a data transmission fault it says on my idrive screen. has anyone had this show up before? if so whats up with it? cuz it seems to drive just fine.
Yes, this happened to me several times yesterday. I was able to reach Assist Concierge but they could not determine my GPS location automatially (send by the car when contacting them) and they could not send driving instructions to my car either. I could not use Update Services.

Turned the car off and let it sit for an how - has worked ok since. My is a 2008 built in late 2007 and the GPS is OFF by about 300 feet at times and BMW claims it is normal. Sure.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Members

i didnt quite get that?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dixon
i didnt quite get that?

I have no fking clue what he was talking about either.... needless to say, I got the same error today. I'm very scared now. However, the car seems to be driving just fine?
Old 04-27-2010, 02:42 PM
Contributors

p.s. - I just found this information which has seriously calmed my nerves....

Data transmission fault is likely from your BMW Assist account/TCU.

The vehicle will upload service requirements so that you can be contacted and an appointment scheduled for needed maintenance. If this fails, or isn't completed for some reason, a data transmission error is filed
Now, I do recall earlier when I was messing with the iDrive one day that I enabled data transfer attempts via iDrive and this must be why? I also remember I had a data transmission fault like 25,000 miles ago when I initially had my trans fluid flushed by my dealer. However, I've never had any problems with the car.

If the car is driving fine and no gears are slipping and no fluid is on my garage floor you think its ok? Jesus MY BABY... SO FREAKED.

Also, am I taking this out of context? Is it "data" transmission as in SENDING DATA the fault, or is it the transmission in the car that is the fault? I'm so damn confused.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Senior Members

when you car is reaching really close to one of its service's in the idrive, the car is supposed to send a signal to BMW so they can contact you. for instance, i was only 800 miles away from my "vehicle check" in the idrive but since i'm out of warranty and don't pay for SOS/GPS crap, my car could not send the signal out. hence i get the message "data transmission fault".

Howitzer, it's not the tranny in the car but rather "sending data" fault. just leave it alone...nothing damaging!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jay bimma
when you car is reaching really close to one of its service's in the idrive, the car is supposed to send a signal to BMW so they can contact you. for instance, i was only 800 miles away from my "vehicle check" in the idrive but since i'm out of warranty and don't pay for SOS/GPS crap, my car could not send the signal out. hence i get the message "data transmission fault".

Howitzer, it's not the tranny in the car but rather "sending data" fault. just leave it alone...nothing damaging!
You're right because I got the iDrive message to change the oil at 2000 miles so that must be when it happened! Thank you god.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, 2004 zx10r, 1980 te72, 96 c1500 slammed show truck, 95 e36 m3 supercharged, more on the way :-) 69 ford f250 390 big block military 4x4 spec for those days u wanna get muddy

Does it say "data" trans fault? My E60 kept going into the "Transmission Fault" mode that prevents the car from shifting out of first gear which is commonly refered to as the limp home mode. This happend to me several times including while merging onto I95 and almost caused me to be rear ended by a semi truck with my 9mo.old in the car long story short I have repeatedly taken it to my area dealer and to no avail untill I wrote a formal letter fully detailing all the events to the dealer pricipal. needless to say they replaced the trans. with a BMW reman and found several other issues eng. leaks ect. and covered all of it under my CPO warranty to the tune of 10k. Seems like these cars are known to have this common problem
Old 05-02-2010, 02:48 PM
Members

good thing you posted that, cuz i was about to shit myself if i had to do another maintenance on the car since i just did my brakes and rotors which was over 1k!

Originally Posted by jay bimma

Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

when i got the message, i freaked out at first as well thinking my tranny was screwed. i drove straight to the dealer and had my friend look at it. he was the one who told me this info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: data transmission fault