E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-Dash Nav Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I have a 2004 545I Sport with Nav. Recently when I started the car and the map on the navigation screen failed to load. Upon entering into the Navigation tab, the IDrive propmpted me to load the navigation disc, which at the time was already loaded. I ejected the maps disc and re-inserted multiple times, it still would not reconize the disc.

So, I moved on the forums, searched the topic and found a few suggestions. I tried an Audio CD and a DVD Movie, I cleaned the maps disc, and replaced the fuse for the navigation system with no luck. The in-dash unit can't seem to reconize/read any disc that is inserted, however the CD portion is still 100% functional.

Has my in-dash DVD/NAV player failed? Is there something else I can try to revive the unit? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by CosmosKrammer
Hello all,

I have a 2004 545I Sport with Nav. Recently when I started the car and the map on the navigation screen failed to load. Upon entering into the Navigation tab, the IDrive propmpted me to load the navigation disc, which at the time was already loaded. I ejected the maps disc and re-inserted multiple times, it still would not reconize the disc.

So, I moved on the forums, searched the topic and found a few suggestions. I tried an Audio CD and a DVD Movie, I cleaned the maps disc, and replaced the fuse for the navigation system with no luck. The in-dash unit can't seem to reconize/read any disc that is inserted, however the CD portion is still 100% functional.

Has my in-dash DVD/NAV player failed? Is there something else I can try to revive the unit? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Hi Dan,

It is a long shot but maybe you could try to polish the disk? Take it to a movie rental store and see if they will put it in their polisher.

also, try a complete reset of the unit. I don't know the 2004 units but mine resets via pushing in on three of the buttons at once (like a ctrl-alt-del on a computer). Vol - Eject and something I can't think of at the moment..
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Members

I've had this problem before. I downloaded and made myself a 2010 nav disc. Once in awhile, it wouldn't recognize that the disc is in and would tell me to insert the disc. I would take it out and have to put it in a few times, then it worked again. But this only happened when I used my "burned" disc. My car came with the OEM 2008 nav disc, that never gave me any problems.

So I believe your problem is simply the disc. It is probably damaged and needs to be replaced. I don't think it's your nav unit or anything like that at all. Also considering that it still plays CD's just fine, leads me to believe that the unit is fine. Make yourself a new nav disc and see if the problem goes away.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:31 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Don't know about 2004, but in 2006, you can put an audio/MP3 CD/DVD into the Nav DVD and play audio. That would let you see if the player works.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by twh
Don't know about 2004, but in 2006, you can put an audio/MP3 CD/DVD into the Nav DVD and play audio. That would let you see if the player works.
I tried a DVD, a CD and an MP3/CD and it would not read/reconize any of the formats. The in-dash CD drive still works great, but the NAV/DVD drive is in-operational.

I'm going to burn a new NAV disk tonight as a last ditch effort.

Any other ideas guys/gals? Or should I be pricing a new in-dash unit?
Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by CosmosKrammer
I tried a DVD, a CD and an MP3/CD and it would not read/reconize any of the formats. The in-dash CD drive still works great, but the NAV/DVD drive is in-operational.

I'm going to burn a new NAV disk tonight as a last ditch effort.

Any other ideas guys/gals? Or should I be pricing a new in-dash unit?
You can burn a new disc and see if reads and then fails. At least it will let you know that it DOES read a disc.
It should read an original CD. Sometimes mine fails at that but after repeated tries it does work. These optical drives are extremely sensitive.
As far as the NAV disc is could be the quality of the disc and it could be if you put a cover on it vs. etching.
I have a new NAV disc and it hasn't been a problem for me. But the 2010 and 2011 was a big problem it would work for a week or two and then quit. I would have to pop in my 2008 OE disc and it would work. Go figure!
Regarding your first post...I don't think you can play movies through the DVD slot but perhaps you have some "special" setup that I'm not aware of.

Honestly it just depends but you probably need an OE disc bro.
I still have a 2010 OE disc laying around if you want.