E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Dash Creaking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

I have heard a "clunking" sound coming from what I thought was the passenger side area of the dash, and it sounded like something was loose (almost as if I had a door that wasn't shut). I have noticed it a couple times when going over bumps.

I read the service bulletin and thought "great, I'll go fix it myself." I then went out to my garage and realized that there are about 5 layers of plastic, weatherstripping and other stuff on top of the area where those two cross members connect (not quite as easy as the picture would lead you to believe).

I guess I'll just have to head over to the dealer and let them look at it.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by buddy' post='515725' date='Jan 9 2008, 08:23 PM
Since it has gotten cold my cluster rattles also in the summer I don't have this you can press on the bottom of the cluster and it moves back and forth for now I just stuck a quarter under it and all is fine. When I have time I am going to get some velcro and remove the cluster and place the velcro there, this is not as annoying as the darn rear noise sounds like two plastic ballons rubbing together
FYI: Taking the cluster out is really easy - just two torx screws at the top and it slides out. Moving the steering wheel out and down as far as it can go makes it easier.There's a bound group of wires going to the cluster, but that's it for connections.

I'm surprised that there's so much room between the cluster and the dash that it's rattling - the tolerances seem pretty tight. If a quarter stops the rattling, I doubt you'd be able to get both pieces of velcro in there - perhaps a piece of felt would be better.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I am appalled at how these cars react to cold weather; you'd think they were deisgned and built in Nicaruagua. The windows, dashboards, doors and those damned hydraulic steering and anti-sway suspension warnings on cold mornings are really beyond the pale in a car of this caliber. My iDrive warnings are more cold sensitive than previous 2 winters; are those Progman updates making the car more "sensitive?" Not that "sensitive" is a bad thing.....

Ray Hull
Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

On my 06 330, the dealer took out my radio, climate control cluster and the top dash center speaker and then test drove. Still the dash creak, and sounds like it's coming from the center of the dash. Felt around inside the dash and reports all seems to be tight. Said the next step is to take out the dash! Before they do that, I want them to look into my struts to see if my 330 has the same problem the e60s do. And also reinstall my instrument cluster with felt.

If all that fails, I'll ok the dash removal. And if that fails, I'll push for a BMW buy back. Will BMW buy back for a incurable dash noise? My last straw is to unload it for a new 535, however with the F10 on the way, I am hoping to wait it out.

Any ideas guys?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Silver, Black interior, winter pkg, premium sound, retractable shades, auto, split seats, sirius radio, sport pkg, navigation, CCM

Originally Posted by lmohaxx' post='515178' date='Jan 8 2008, 03:04 PM
I have a little rattle or chirping sound too.. it's not all the time but only on occasion like when hitting a bumpy road... Sounds like it's around the driver's side dashboard area. Is this what you experienced?
Got the same issue...only noticeable on bumpy roads. I'm somewhat disappointed or annoyed that this would occur at all in a fine automobile and since it is occuring in others, it's some sort of defect.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wantmye90' post='515796' date='Jan 9 2008, 11:05 PM
Will BMW buy back for a incurable dash noise?
I was going to just post "Nope", but instead I'll say "I really, really doubt it". Buybacks are usually for mechanical issues that affect the safety or drivability of the car - rattles are neither.

I sympathize, though - I'm really noise sensitive and rattles drive me crazy.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by bdkinnh' post='515739' date='Jan 9 2008, 08:51 PM
FYI: Taking the cluster out is really easy - just two torx screws at the top and it slides out. Moving the steering wheel out and down as far as it can go makes it easier.There's a bound group of wires going to the cluster, but that's it for connections.

I'm surprised that there's so much room between the cluster and the dash that it's rattling - the tolerances seem pretty tight. If a quarter stops the rattling, I doubt you'd be able to get both pieces of velcro in there - perhaps a piece of felt would be better.
Thanks I saw the two screws that hold the cluster but just been to lazy to fix it And the tolerance of the cluster and the bottom of the dash is pretty tight and that may be the problem since it only mounts from the top and allows the bottom to move freely thus you have that darn squeek of plastic on plastic. The bottom of the dash kinda gives that is why I am able to squeeze a quarter in there hell i think i just found the elusive coin holder