E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damm!! Look what i did.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Hope you don't need new aprons and front sidemembers. If you do, it might be game over for that car. E60 front end, cowl panel and aprons, are cold bonded structural aluminum that must be replaced if damaged, no matter how minor/severe the damage is. You could be looking at $17K in damage right there.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Glad you're OK.
I wouldn't worry about the LS fender. They cost about $500 each + install+paint etc. and will all have to be painted anyway even if they can be saved. Your structural bumper under the bumper cover should ?? be Ok since, I assume, your airbags didn't go off.
If there is no suspension or frame damage the car should run just like before. An excellent body shop with a good reputation will have you back on the road in no time. The upside--no more stone chips.
My $14,000 entire left-side hit only took two weeks and the results were spectacular. I kept the car for 2.5 years after with no complaints.
Good luck
Old 04-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Glad you're OK.
I wouldn't worry about the LS fender. They cost about $500 each + install+paint etc. and will all have to be painted anyway even if they can be saved. Your structural bumper under the bumper cover should ?? be Ok since, I assume, your airbags didn't go off.

Good luck
airbag non-deployment is not an indicator of other damages. bump a curb too hard through a turn and you can deploy a curtain airbag. I've also looked at late model BMWs with near $10,000 damage estimates with no airbag deployment.

E60 fenders are aluminum. repair opportunities are usually non-existent. bumper reinforcement is toast on that car. again, if you sustain ANY damage to an apron or sidemember (aka 'front rail') in an E60 they have to be replaced, which is high dollar stuff. i suspect that car at a minimum will need at least one of the four major front end components replaced.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

OH man dude! Im glad you're okay. People here in Houston can't drive for shit. The same damn thing almost happened to me when I was exiting off of i10... And the worst part is that this accident is going to be on your CARFAX vehicle record (if you claim under your insurance); and it wasn't even your fault.

Last edited by abdkhan1; 04-07-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 550i 6sp M-Tech. 18mm spacers rear, 8mm front. Dinan intake and Stage 2 tune. Tinted tails, M5 OEM lip spoiler. 08 Z4 3.0si Black on Black with Beige top. Removable hardtop. (Hers) 06 Volvo S60R Heavily Modded!! Gone and missed.

Originally Posted by KyleB
airbag non-deployment is not an indicator of other damages. bump a curb too hard through a turn and you can deploy a curtain airbag. I've also looked at late model BMWs with near $10,000 damage estimates with no airbag deployment.

E60 fenders are aluminum. repair opportunities are usually non-existent. bumper reinforcement is toast on that car. again, if you sustain ANY damage to an apron or sidemember (aka 'front rail') in an E60 they have to be replaced, which is high dollar stuff. i suspect that car at a minimum will need at least one of the four major front end components replaced.
A lot of points I'm concerned about. If the side apron assy was affected it could get hairy. That's item one in this drawing..
2009 BMW 550I Parts - BMW Parts, Accessories & Genuine BMW OEM Parts @ bmwpartsunlimited.com

I know the upper tie bar, (item 1 below) was pushed back slightly because the gap between it and my Dinan airbox is gone now. That is connected to the side apron, so time will tell.
2009 BMW 550I Parts - BMW Parts, Accessories & Genuine BMW OEM Parts @ bmwpartsunlimited.com
I should have taken a bunch of pictures of it on scene when I got the hood open but my brain was scrambled then.

I have been rethinking the M5 fenders if they replace both, but I'll modify the grills to remove the M5 emblems. Maybe fab up some kind of Dinan logo instead. That would be different. I have acces to a shop with a waterjet so well see.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Damn glad to see no one was hurt. My old Lexus looked exactly like that and it got totaled out.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 550i 6sp M-Tech. 18mm spacers rear, 8mm front. Dinan intake and Stage 2 tune. Tinted tails, M5 OEM lip spoiler. 08 Z4 3.0si Black on Black with Beige top. Removable hardtop. (Hers) 06 Volvo S60R Heavily Modded!! Gone and missed.

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
Damn glad to see no one was hurt. My old Lexus looked exactly like that and it got totaled out.
I love this car, that would be a total heartbreak....
Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i M-Sport Package M Double Spoke 135 Wheels Shadowline Trim Xenon Adaptive Headlights HID LED AE Anthracite Headliner
Angry

That damage at 5 mph? It looks like a monster truck rolled right on top of you! Peeps in Houston will cut in front of you without a blink of an eye and then give you the finger afterwards for not seeing them! Hope you get it done right bro.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Black Thunder
That damage at 5 mph? It looks like a monster truck rolled right on top of you! Peeps in Houston will cut in front of you without a blink of an eye and then give you the finger afterwards for not seeing them! Hope you get it done right bro.
Only 5mph but I was NOT on the brakes at impact... When ur at a stop sign and have to turn around and look behind you to see if you can merge, it kind of sets you up for failure.

It was a truck with a HD rear bumper and I did go up under it. Guy cut her off. Bottom line..... My fault.

Last edited by Bobbrown13; 04-07-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Members

Default Estimate is in...

So the estimate is in and it's $12,100 before disassembly and inspection. Adjuster and body shop advisor think the side aprons are ok. Here's hoping.

Replacing both headlights and fenders. They were going to replace the air cleaner assembly back to stock, but theres just a small scratch in the Dinan airbox. If it's cracked after they get it out, I'll do an epoxy fix and reuse. I have $1000 allowance for aftermarket parts and I'm using that to get the clear bra put back on. I guess I'll float the upgrade to M5 fenders and go with my Dianan emblem idea on the fender grills.

Here's more photos.. There saying 3 to 4 weeks right now.

BMW Wreck Photos by bobbrown13 | Photobucket

Quick Reply: Damm!! Look what i did.