E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Damaged Tyre

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BK 6-Speed' post='915203' date='Jun 17 2009, 10:47 PM
I agree it's not their responsibility, but wouldn't you like to know the dealer would be able to spot this as well. Equal blame on both parties involved.
I treat my ride, like a pilot an airplane - I do a walk-around and check of "all systems" before "take off". I picked this habbit up way back when I was a teenager and I used to drive like crazy. Now I drive like a grandpa, but I still do the checks every time I get into the car. I'd say I check my tire pressure about 2-3 times per week! I don't know any other way. Even if the dealer is to be expected to check these things, a driver should NEVER rely on anyone but him/herself.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

That tyre isnt worn from bad alignment, the wear is right on the edge/side. It must have been rubbing on something. Is the car lowered or anything?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='915487' date='Jun 18 2009, 04:42 PM
That tyre isnt worn from bad alignment, the wear is right on the edge/side. It must have been rubbing on something. Is the car lowered or anything?
Agreed, Should lowered too much or had big jump within these 2 weeks.
Looked like rubber hit by fender. Did you check your wheel cover? Surface still in rough or being smooth.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:26 AM
Members

I agree that my car and it?s tyres are my responsibility and I do check my tyre pressures every week when I wash the car but with this being hidden from view I obviously missed it and given the fact I don?t have a car lift in my garage then seeing under there is going to be difficult. I find it hard to believe that anyone on here would have spotted this given how low an m-sport car is and how close the tyres are into the arches.

If the dealer has been checking the car underneath then they should surely have noticed this, they must have had the car up in the air surely? The car wouldn?t have passed an MOT so the BMW check should have picked this up.

Anyway the car isn?t lowered or anything like that so if it is rubbing it must be something that shouldn?t be there and again this should have been picked up by the dealer. Maybe it did happen in the last 2 weeks but the car hasn?t been used very much at all in those 2 weeks so it?s doubtful. I?ve had my had right into the arch and nothing feels loose, I?m going to get the car up on some ramps at the weekend and give it a once over.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

Unreal, glad you caught that one mate, coulda been nasty, at least you woulda got to try out the DSC feature tho huh
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

I agree that the dealer / service should of caught that and informed you about it and at the same time, you as the owner and driver of the car should also take special details to finding out any potential hazards of your car. Like you mentioned, its quite possible that this happen betweent he time when your car was in service and now.
I realize it may be hard to check the inner tire threads, but this can be easily done byt turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and to the right. You can also run your hands ( carefully ) on the tire surface to check this. I just think people are to quick these days of not taking their own responsibility and rather just like to point fingers.

Thats all I'm saying. Anyway good luck.