E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Curious about LOGIC7 Symbol NCS coding

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:39 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
audiophool and Former E30Owner, I have a question for you guys. I have the Logic7 equalizer in my 05 530i and am curious, what are your respective settings on the equalizer, as I have a tin ear.
Frankly I don't remember my settings, so I will have to come back to you about that. I can say that because I wish to hear and know "natural or acoustic" sound, I tend to reduce bass (especially over prominent (booming) bass. Also I cut the treble a bit. I listen mostly to classical music and good jazz.
Without seeming facetious, if you have a "tin ear" (I prefer the term untrained), then just adjust according to your taste. My settings are an attempt to have the sound be as close to the real thing as possible in an impossible venue - the interior of a car. That might not be your goal.

Last edited by FormerE30Owner; 12-20-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:57 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Frankly I don't remember my settings, so I will have to come back to you about that. I can say that because I wish to hear and know "natural or acoustic" sound, I tend to reduce bass (especially over prominent (booming) bass. Also I cut the treble a bit. I listen mostly to classical music and good jazz.
Without seeming facetious, if you have a "tin ear" (I prefer the term untrained), then just adjust according to your taste. My settings are an attempt to have the sound be as close to the real thing as possible in an impossible venue - the interior of a car. That might not be your goal.
Further to this, as promised, here are the settings for my Logic7 equalizer. The 100 hz is set at -7bars, the 200Hz at -4 bars and the 2000 hz (or the top one, since I forget exactly) is at -2 bars. The rest are at 0 or flat. Also, the usual bass is also trimmed down a bit depending on the source material. All of this to get rid of the annoying "booming" and unnatural bass. Many people, however, enjoy that type of booming bass and can't have enough of it. BTW, the so-called sub-woofers are not real sub-woofers, not by audiophile standards, anyway.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Further to this, as promised, here are the settings for my Logic7 equalizer. The 100 hz is set at -7bars, the 200Hz at -4 bars and the 2000 hz (or the top one, since I forget exactly) is at -2 bars. The rest are at 0 or flat. Also, the usual bass is also trimmed down a bit depending on the source material. All of this to get rid of the annoying "booming" and unnatural bass. Many people, however, enjoy that type of booming bass and can't have enough of it. BTW, the so-called sub-woofers are not real sub-woofers, not by audiophile standards, anyway.
Thank you, This gives me a qualified reference point from which to start. I at least knew to only apply negative values to the various frequencies. Appreciate your comment on the sub-woofers, explains my inability to obtain the crisp level of response.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:23 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
audiophool and Former E30Owner, I have a question for you guys. I have the Logic7 equalizer in my 05 530i and am curious, what are your respective settings on the equalizer, as I have a tin ear.
I'm not going to say my preference works for anybody but me, but since you asked, this is how my EQ is currently set: https://imgur.com/9alpj4E

I run bass and treble flat, balance/fader centered. When I do listen to music in the car I tend to leave the surround modes OFF unless as I mentioned earlier, I'm bored. My rationale for the curve shown is that it retains a degree of the low bass but takes away the mid-bass boominess that (forgive the reference) the "Beats by Dr. Dre" generation* seems to love. The boost to 2k and above is partly to compensate for aging ears (only 54 though).

I run my home 2 channel system with no tone controls - its pre-amp doesn't have a balance control, let along bass/treble knobs. I use the a/d/s/ sub to augment the bottom octave as my Newform R645 speakers drop off below 40Hz. Long term listening has proved to me that the "smiley face" curve so many want on an EQ isn't necessary if your equipment is good. A modicum of adjustment to the upper registers is often done using ridiculously expensive interconnect cables that have varying degrees of attenuation to the HF signals using cable assemblies with higher capacitance. As a kid though, it was "loudness on, bass to 11", much to the consternation of my parents upstairs from my basement lair.

* I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones that I chose for their flat performance. My 16yo son has Beats. He says my cans have "no balls". I smile...

Old 06-22-2024, 02:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw e60 530d xdrive. Sport seats and xenon lights, lol.
Default What

Agreed, but but no hacking could get the bass to be smooth to lower than 90 Hz in the E60. Because of the dimensions of the interior of the car, the bass will start to roll off at about 12db/octave under 90 Hz, hence -12db at 45 Hz and -20db at 30 Hz. One can't correct that with an equalizer without some serious amp power. more than what our alternator can supply, anyway!
Smooth to lower than 90hz? What are you talking about? The bass in E60 with logic 7 peaks at 40-50hz. Then after that is starts to roll down rapidly. 40hz on logic 7 is much louder than 90hz.
Old 06-22-2024, 02:51 AM
New Members

My Ride: Bmw e60 530d xdrive. Sport seats and xenon lights, lol.
Default Interesting

You sir what you have done with your equalizer is exactly the opposite of what you said. You have created unnatural sound with your settings. If you take an RTA and start to adjust the equalizer according to an actual car target curve like the harman curve or audiofrog curve, you would notice that the bass would need some boost actually. But if you listen to classical and jazz then I guess it doesn’t matter anyways
Old 07-09-2024, 12:29 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 530i e60

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
Hi, my 2009 E61 has the Individual Audio option in it. I was doing some NCS coding to disable the legal notice when the iDrive starts up and I noticed the option: DISPLAY_LOG7_SYMBOL_CHAMP. For kicks I set it to be active. What I noticed is that on the Surround Settings tab in my audio options that there is the LOGIC7 logo in addition to different surround options. Before I had
  • Off
  • Surround Sound
And now I have
  • Off
  • Concert Hall
  • Movie Theater
Any ideas what's different here? I'm no audiophile so I can't describe what was different, but I could hear slight differences between them all. After some searching I haven't been able to clearly identify what is different between the Logic7 and Individual Audio systems (or which one is 'better' or 'more expensive') other than the 'DIRAC' stuff. I suppose I'll just set it back but wanted to see what others have experience with. I don't have navigation so no DVD player for videos.
Thanks
were you able to code out the legal disclaimer?? I’ve tried using ncs expert and dummy but it keeps resetting and activating them again. Was there only one module (cappl) or did you have to code the other modules also? On the cappl, I tried nicht _aktiv on the legal disclaimer and also tried to change on the legal disclaimer timeout option
Old 07-09-2024, 02:46 PM
New Members

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Originally Posted by Mwhitmus
were you able to code out the legal disclaimer?? I’ve tried using ncs expert and dummy but it keeps resetting and activating them again. Was there only one module (cappl) or did you have to code the other modules also? On the cappl, I tried nicht _aktiv on the legal disclaimer and also tried to change on the legal disclaimer timeout option
I can't remember when I wrote that if I still had my MASK unit or had already upgraded to CIC. I do have CIC and was successful in turning off the warning disclaimer when the car starts. I track all my coding changes on github and here are the changes that were successful. Unfortunately I changed a number of other settings at the same time so probably only 1 or 2 of these 18 items is necessary. Perhaps some of the following are what do it? Sorry, it's been a few years.

MACRO_CAM_LEGALDISCLAIMER
kein_ld

MACRO_NIVICAM_LDISCLAIMER
kein_ld

When I used to have MASK (which is likely very similar to CCC) I believe I set this option:
LEGAL_DISCL_TIMEOUT_CH
nicht_aktiv
Old 07-09-2024, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

This is all you need to code

Legal_Disclaimer_Time
kein_ld
Old 07-09-2024, 07:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 530i e60

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
This is all you need to code

Legal_Disclaimer_Time
kein_ld
didn’t work for me. I’ll try again tomorrow

inpa is good. Opened ncs expert
load profile>ncexpert
f1 f3 e60 cas
back>process ecu> cappl>change job codieren lesen
read ecu and closed the popup
opened trc file
Legal disclaimer nicht_aktiv
legal disclaimer kein_ld
saved as .man
went back to ncs expert
basic functions coapireadgetsfwpsw
change job sgcoderien
execute job and waited for coding ended
cycled the car and it was off but a few hours later it appeared again

Last edited by Mwhitmus; 07-09-2024 at 07:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Curious about LOGIC7 Symbol NCS coding