E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Curious about LOGIC7 Symbol NCS coding

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 11:39 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
audiophool and Former E30Owner, I have a question for you guys. I have the Logic7 equalizer in my 05 530i and am curious, what are your respective settings on the equalizer, as I have a tin ear.
Frankly I don't remember my settings, so I will have to come back to you about that. I can say that because I wish to hear and know "natural or acoustic" sound, I tend to reduce bass (especially over prominent (booming) bass. Also I cut the treble a bit. I listen mostly to classical music and good jazz.
Without seeming facetious, if you have a "tin ear" (I prefer the term untrained), then just adjust according to your taste. My settings are an attempt to have the sound be as close to the real thing as possible in an impossible venue - the interior of a car. That might not be your goal.

Last edited by FormerE30Owner; 12-20-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:57 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Frankly I don't remember my settings, so I will have to come back to you about that. I can say that because I wish to hear and know "natural or acoustic" sound, I tend to reduce bass (especially over prominent (booming) bass. Also I cut the treble a bit. I listen mostly to classical music and good jazz.
Without seeming facetious, if you have a "tin ear" (I prefer the term untrained), then just adjust according to your taste. My settings are an attempt to have the sound be as close to the real thing as possible in an impossible venue - the interior of a car. That might not be your goal.
Further to this, as promised, here are the settings for my Logic7 equalizer. The 100 hz is set at -7bars, the 200Hz at -4 bars and the 2000 hz (or the top one, since I forget exactly) is at -2 bars. The rest are at 0 or flat. Also, the usual bass is also trimmed down a bit depending on the source material. All of this to get rid of the annoying "booming" and unnatural bass. Many people, however, enjoy that type of booming bass and can't have enough of it. BTW, the so-called sub-woofers are not real sub-woofers, not by audiophile standards, anyway.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Further to this, as promised, here are the settings for my Logic7 equalizer. The 100 hz is set at -7bars, the 200Hz at -4 bars and the 2000 hz (or the top one, since I forget exactly) is at -2 bars. The rest are at 0 or flat. Also, the usual bass is also trimmed down a bit depending on the source material. All of this to get rid of the annoying "booming" and unnatural bass. Many people, however, enjoy that type of booming bass and can't have enough of it. BTW, the so-called sub-woofers are not real sub-woofers, not by audiophile standards, anyway.
Thank you, This gives me a qualified reference point from which to start. I at least knew to only apply negative values to the various frequencies. Appreciate your comment on the sub-woofers, explains my inability to obtain the crisp level of response.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:23 PM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing
audiophool and Former E30Owner, I have a question for you guys. I have the Logic7 equalizer in my 05 530i and am curious, what are your respective settings on the equalizer, as I have a tin ear.
I'm not going to say my preference works for anybody but me, but since you asked, this is how my EQ is currently set: https://imgur.com/9alpj4E

I run bass and treble flat, balance/fader centered. When I do listen to music in the car I tend to leave the surround modes OFF unless as I mentioned earlier, I'm bored. My rationale for the curve shown is that it retains a degree of the low bass but takes away the mid-bass boominess that (forgive the reference) the "Beats by Dr. Dre" generation* seems to love. The boost to 2k and above is partly to compensate for aging ears (only 54 though).

I run my home 2 channel system with no tone controls - its pre-amp doesn't have a balance control, let along bass/treble knobs. I use the a/d/s/ sub to augment the bottom octave as my Newform R645 speakers drop off below 40Hz. Long term listening has proved to me that the "smiley face" curve so many want on an EQ isn't necessary if your equipment is good. A modicum of adjustment to the upper registers is often done using ridiculously expensive interconnect cables that have varying degrees of attenuation to the HF signals using cable assemblies with higher capacitance. As a kid though, it was "loudness on, bass to 11", much to the consternation of my parents upstairs from my basement lair.

* I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins P7 headphones that I chose for their flat performance. My 16yo son has Beats. He says my cans have "no balls". I smile...