5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Curious about LOGIC7 Symbol NCS coding (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/curious-about-logic7-symbol-ncs-coding-149167/)

kd7iwp 12-12-2018 07:38 AM

Curious about LOGIC7 Symbol NCS coding

Hi, my 2009 E61 has the Individual Audio option in it. I was doing some NCS coding to disable the legal notice when the iDrive starts up and I noticed the option: DISPLAY_LOG7_SYMBOL_CHAMP. For kicks I set it to be active. What I noticed is that on the Surround Settings tab in my audio options that there is the LOGIC7 logo in addition to different surround options. Before I had
  • Off
  • Surround Sound
And now I have
  • Off
  • Concert Hall
  • Movie Theater
Any ideas what's different here? I'm no audiophile so I can't describe what was different, but I could hear slight differences between them all. After some searching I haven't been able to clearly identify what is different between the Logic7 and Individual Audio systems (or which one is 'better' or 'more expensive') other than the 'DIRAC' stuff. I suppose I'll just set it back but wanted to see what others have experience with. I don't have navigation so no DVD player for videos.
Thanks

Reefin Dude 12-14-2018 11:21 AM

those options were available on the CCC equipped vehicles. i had them on my 08 CCC drive car, but they are now gone since i upgraded to CIC. i believe there were a couple other surround options besides those two, i just can not remember the right now.

G~

audiophool 12-17-2018 04:08 PM

My '08 with CCC has these settings:
  • Off
  • Concert Hall
  • Movie Theater
No idea whether there are hardware differences between them - can you hear a difference among the three modes now? I find the CH mode is more immersive, and the MT mode is somewhat front biased.

kd7iwp 12-18-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by audiophool (Post 1598009)
can you hear a difference among the three modes now?

I can tell something is different but I'm not audiophile so I can't identify what I notice, or if I have a preference for the Logic 7 options vs the Individual Audio default option.

FormerE30Owner 12-18-2018 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by kd7iwp (Post 1598026)
I can tell something is different but I'm not audiophile so I can't identify what I notice, or if I have a preference for the Logic 7 options vs the Individual Audio default option.

I too have the CCC with Logic 7 and those three options appear on my I-drive. I am an audiophile and can tell you that there is a difference among the three settings. OFF just distributes the stereo sound among all of the speakers. Concert synthesizes ambient rear channel signals to give a concert hall sound. Theater also synthesizes rear signals, but more appropriate to a more dry and theater sound. I usually leave the setting on OFF, since I don't like the synthetic manipulation of the rear sound. You might like it though. Also, I find that the bass "booms" more in Concert Sound, which definitely is not "audiophile!;)

audiophool 12-19-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner (Post 1598028)
I too have the CCC with Logic 7 and those three options appear on my I-drive. I am an audiophile and can tell you that there is a difference among the three settings. OFF just distributes the stereo sound among all of the speakers. Concert synthesizes ambient rear channel signals to give a concert hall sound. Theater also synthesizes rear signals, but more appropriate to a more dry and theater sound. I usually leave the setting on OFF, since I don't like the synthetic manipulation of the rear sound. You might like it though. Also, I find that the bass "booms" more in Concert Sound, which definitely is not "audiophile!;)

Ha! Me too, hence my handle. I could have started talking about "air" and "transparency", not to mention PRAT... Current iteration of my 2ch system: https://imgur.com/aivrNKN

For the car, I've found "OFF" preferable to the CH and MT modes for pure listening, but sometimes play with the surround modes if I'm bored. Bear in mind this is a car, and far from an ideal environment for sound, and I'm more inclined to listen to talk radio (CBC) when I'm driving in rush hour. I run a very slight curve on the EQT and run bass/treble flat. The L7 system is nicer than most other cars. The DVD Audio system they put in some Acuras was pretty nice and had better imaging than the L7 (but it was DVD-A after all).

FormerE30Owner 12-19-2018 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by audiophool (Post 1598039)
Ha! Me too, hence my handle. I could have started talking about "air" and "transparency", not to mention PRAT... Current iteration of my 2ch system: https://imgur.com/aivrNKN

For the car, I've found "OFF" preferable to the CH and MT modes for pure listening, but sometimes play with the surround modes if I'm bored. Bear in mind this is a car, and far from an ideal environment for sound, and I'm more inclined to listen to talk radio (CBC) when I'm driving in rush hour. I run a very slight curve on the EQT and run bass/treble flat. The L7 system is nicer than most other cars. The DVD Audio system they put in some Acuras was pretty nice and had better imaging than the L7 (but it was DVD-A after all).

Yeah, I kind off figured you were into audio also. I agree with your comments regarding audio in a car - not a good environment. I am also an amateur musician - French Horn - and don't listen much to music in my car, since I find it too distracting - I start to listen to the interpretation etc and forget to drive. Nice system you have - that looks like an SME arm on a VPI turntable, but I could be wrong. My analogue is an Oracle Alexandria with Rega arm and B&O MMC 2EN cartridge. Speakers are TOTEM Mani-2's. No need for subs, but do need lots of real power. My NAK 600 amp works fine with that.
Back on subject - I think that it is a waste of money to try to get true high quality audio in an automobile. Nice sound is enough. And the bass in the E60 Logic7, even with the equalizer set properly, is very "boomy" and not deep at all. I am a pipe organ buff, so systems must be flat to 30HZ at least, which is impossible in a car.

audiophool 12-19-2018 05:27 PM

Good eye. It's a VPI TNT MK3.5 with a SME V arm and an Ortofon 2M Black - and is currently on the chopping block (downsizing and cost recovery). https://imgur.com/VSImePZ
The rest of the system stays, including the a/d/s/ MS4 sub that goes flat below 20Hz.

True about the bass on the L7. But I have no desire to hack the car to attempt an improvement.

FormerE30Owner 12-19-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by audiophool (Post 1598054)
Good eye. It's a VPI TNT MK3.5 with a SME V arm and an Ortofon 2M Black - and is currently on the chopping block (downsizing and cost recovery). https://imgur.com/VSImePZ
The rest of the system stays, including the a/d/s/ MS4 sub that goes flat below 20Hz.

True about the bass on the L7. But I have no desire to hack the car to attempt an improvement.

Agreed, but but no hacking could get the bass to be smooth to lower than 90 Hz in the E60. Because of the dimensions of the interior of the car, the bass will start to roll off at about 12db/octave under 90 Hz, hence -12db at 45 Hz and -20db at 30 Hz. One can't correct that with an equalizer without some serious amp power. more than what our alternator can supply, anyway!

jtbgonesailing 12-20-2018 10:57 AM

audiophool and Former E30Owner, I have a question for you guys. I have the Logic7 equalizer in my 05 530i and am curious, what are your respective settings on the equalizer, as I have a tin ear.