E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cruise control with stop and go

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

question: how does this cruise control work with stop and go. This was introduced with the LCI earlier in 2007. How long does the cruise control stay on while you are standing in a traffic jam? is it a usefula feature? i had the cruise control on the pre-lci: that went off below 20mph. at higher speeds it was distracting because everytime you overtook a lorry, it would suddenly slam on the brakes..

cheers
Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

There were only two types of cruise control when I bought my car. The standard cruise which like you say can't be enabled below 20 and disconnects if you touch the brakes, it also brakes the car so as to not exceed the speed you have set. The other was active cruise which does the same but will follow the vehicle in front and slow down to maintain the distance you have set if the drop below your set speed. I wouldn't imagine any cruise control will stay active while you brake for traffic lights etc, that just wouldn't be safe.

I think the stop and go you mention is when the engine actually stops when the car is stationary to save fuel. This option is only available on manual cars and I don't think the E60 platform was able to have this introduced the 1and 3 series have it though.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

The cruise on an LCI has braking. ie; if you pull the cruise lever hard toward you to slow down (lower the speed), then the car will apply the brakes, to get you to the lower speed a quickly as possible. The lever has two positons, a soft pull, to reduce speed and a hard pull which also uses the brakes. (not sure why this is useful as I would use brakes anyway if going too fast in cruise).

The system once set, does not turn off unless you want it to. ie; if you come up to a junction, press the brakes and change down a gear it will accelerate again once you lift of the brakes, so you have to manually flick-off the cruise at the lever. That is a pain I must admit, because I am used to it canceling when the brakes are applied, or change gear etc.

The LCI will hold the cruise setting, once you lift of the brakes it will accelerate up to the set speed again.

I guess this is what you mean ?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

That's not how it works on my car. Touch the brake and it disconnects athough it still remembers your speed if you re-engage it. The cruise control lever also doesn't operate the brakes. The soft push is 1mph increments and the click is 5mph increments, if you decrease you selected speed enough the cruise control will brake you to get to the selected speed bit that's a function of the cruise control not the lever.

Page 71 here explains how it works.